I’ll Hide You Away From the World.

Honey, my Heart Ain’t Big Enough for Both of You

And what’s the worst to take, from every heart you break (heart you break)
And like a blade you stain
Well I've been holding on tonight


Gerard held on tightly to Mikey’s trembling hands. Mikey didn’t know what to feel as Gerard led him through the dull hospital walls and into the unknown. It was all the same, the walls were so full of tragedy and death. He couldn’t stand to be inside the hospital any longer, he just wanted to escape.

“Gee. Where are we going?” He mumbled to his brother as they passed the entrance doors of the hospital. Mikey just wanted to run through those open doors and never look back. Running seemed so easy. “I just want to go home.”

“Not yet Mikey.” Gerard looked at him and squeezed his brothers hand sending a reassuring tingling through his limp body. He turned to look back into his brothers golden brown eyes, confused by what he was saying. “Aren’t you forgetting something?”

“No.” Mikey spat angrily, the hospital had nothing left for him at all. Alicia was dead. She died here. She’d left him. Forever. Inside these hospital walls, why would he be forgetting something? Gerard just shook his head and continued to lead him through the empty hallways until the reached a new area. This new area of the hospital wasn’t depressing like the rest. The walls of the hallway were painted in bright sunny colours, happy colours. Mikey felt his heart sink deeper in his chest, he knew where his brother was taking him.

“Gee. No. I don’t want to do this.” Mikey muttered, pulling his hand out of his brothers grip and began walking back the way they’d come. Bound for the hospital doors where he could get into his car and drive away and leave everything behind. Fury burned inside his chest, how dare he? How could he make Mikey suffer more than he already was.

“Mikes…” Gerard called after him, but he ignored his brother’s plea and stormed away. The pain he’d been feeling tore at his heart, fusing with his anger, making a destructible pair. “Mikey! Come back.” Gerard called again, his voice full of hope.

“No Gee.” Mikey yelled back at him, his eyes focused on the white tiles as they travelled under his feet.

“What about Alicia?” He’d got him. Mikey stopped dead in his tracks. Alicia. He couldn’t do this to her. Even in death, he still couldn’t do it. When she died, she’d taken his heart with her, and that meant he could never do anything to hurt her. He turned to face his brother, tears forming in his deep brown eyes, threatening to fall at any moment. His heart began beating rapidly in his chest as he walked back towards his brother.

“It’s going to be ok. Promise.” Gerard wrapped his arms around his younger brother, pulling him into a tight embrace. “You’ll be fine…” He whispered into Mikey’s ear. His warm breath tickling his skin, telling him he wasn’t alone in this. Gerard was there. He’d always be there.

“Thanks…” Mikey muttered under his breath, breaking the hug and staring down at his feet. Fear began to mix with the pain and anger that had taken over his heart, overriding all other emotions as Gerard lead him towards the nursery.

Dragging his feet behind his brother, Mikey followed him to the glass panel, which separated the nursery from the them. Behind the clear glass an array of small sleeping bundles were on display for their proud parents to gaze at them. His heart fell deeper inside his chest as he glanced at each of babies, dreading to see the one that beared his name.

Before he found that child, a red haired, delicate looking nurse had spotted the two brothers from inside and came out to greet them.
“Can I help you?” Her sweet voice filled the empty silence of the hospital. Mikey didn’t speak, he didn’t need her help.

“We are looking for a baby.” Gerard spoke up after realising his brother’s silence was not going to be broken.

“Ok, sure. Surname?” She asked, opening the door to the nursery and leading them in.

“Way.” Gerard spoke as he followed her. Mikey stood firmly in his spot in front of the pure glass panel, which separated him from the horror within. “Come on Mikey.” Gerard spoke gently, grabbing onto his brother’s hand and dragging him into the nursery against his will.

“Here we go. Your beautiful baby boy.” The nurse spoke quietly as she walked to the back of the room and picked up a small bundle wrapped in a light blue cotton blanket and handing it towards Gerard, trying not to wake the other quietly sleeping children in the nursery with her voice.

“Oh, I’m not his farther. My brother is.” Gerard pointed out, looking at Mikey. His face was stern as he waited for Mikey to walk forward and accept the bundle from the nurse’s arms.

She waited patiently as he contemplated whether to take it or not. Don’t do it Mikey. That same voice which had haunted him all night returned, lingering in the back of him mind. He ignored it, sick and tired of it mocking him, and nervously approached the nurse and held his arms out.

“Here.” She said quietly, gently placing the baby into his arms and walking out of the nursery. Gerard smiled proudly as he walked over to Mikey and looked down at the silently sleeping boy.

“He’s beautiful Mikes.” Gerard cooed, glancing back and forth between the baby and Mikey’s face. He seemed so proud, so happy. Mikey store down at the child he cradled in his arms. So innocent, so beautiful with his pale olive skin and his head of thick black hair. He reminded Mikey so much of Alicia.

That thing. That thing took her from you. It’s a murderer Mikey. A Murderer! The voice returned again, screaming inside his mind. Suddenly Mikey rejected the baby, shoving the tainted child away from him and into Gerard’s arms. The voice had conquered. Gerard was shocked as a bone chilling cry filled the nursery as the baby awoke from the impact.

“Mikey…?” Gerard questioned his brother, but ignored him and turned away. How could Gerard expect him to accept that thing. It had stolen the only thing he love so deeply. That thing had no place in his heart. “He’s your baby!” Gerard pleaded, fear threatened itself in his voice.

“I have no baby.” Mikey uttered the words, hate filling his chest as he left the nursery, the door slamming shut behind him stirring the other sleeping babies as he walked furiously down the hallway. He held so much hostility towards that child. How could he accept it as his own?

He stormed down the hallways towards the hospital entrance. He didn’t care what Gerard had to say. That child held nothing for him, only pain and frustration. The voice was right. It had stolen Alicia from him. He could never forgive it. Never. All that was left, was to runaway and escape the torment he had suffered. There was nothing left for him here. Not anymore. His life had changed dramatically in only a few hours.