Seasons

Fall

"Ryan." Brendon adressed the older boy, sitting across from him at the kitchen table.

"Yes?"

"It is fall, and there are leaves. On the ground. In piles, thanks to Spencer."

"Great observation skills. Want a cookie?" Ryan replied sarcastically.

"No, Ryan. I want you to come outside so we can play in the leaves!"

"Maybe later."

"No, now!" Brendon exclaimed, reaching across the table to grasp Ryan's skinny hands in his. "The time to play in leaf piles is now! We must act!"

"Maybe later," Ryan repeated, pulling his hands away. Brendon put on a pout and stared at Ryan until he looked up again. "What?"

"Leaves. In piles. Seriously."

"Brendon, you are twenty-one years old, isn't it time to stop playing in leaf piles?"

"No, Ryan. It is not. It never will be, because you and I are going to play in the leaf piles that Spencer makes for us until we are old and greying and need hip replacements."

"Oh, look, you've got a gray! Ow, my hip... I think I'm gonna need a replacement!"

"Ha, you're funny," Brendon faked a laugh, grabbing the older boy's hands again and standing up. "We're going now."

"No, thanks,"

"Yes, thanks!" Brendon pulled until Ryan's skinny frame lifted off his chair and he was being dragged out the back door.

"Let the playing begin!" The younger of the two yelled, pushing Ryan into a pile of crunchy, colorful leaves, jumping in after him.

"Get off me!" Ryan squeeled.

"You love it," Brendon said, pushing the older back into the leaves again.