My Parents banished me to my Uncle's ranch:

My Parents banished me to my Uncle's ranch:14

"Hey Jupe." I cooed at the big black gelding looking in my direction. I forgot about my stress and the weird feeling of anxiety that had been crowding my mind the moment he perked his big black ears up. I ran to his stall and perched myself like I normally did.

This time he came and rested his head in my lap. I stroked his big black muzzle. "Hey, did you miss me?" I asked in a baby voice. He just kept chewing lazily. But I had a feeling he was happy to see me. I didn't really look around but I could feel eyes burring holes in my Jack. I ignored them.

"Let's go see what you've got old guy..." I mumbled grabbing for an old lead rope hanging on his stall.

I clipped him on the cross-tie and brushed him down quickly. I needed something to keep me distracted. At least until I didn't feel like this. I left him for a second to go find Joe.

He was out with a couple older men that also didn't live on the property. He saw me approaching and handed off the lead to a stocky paint and approached me.

"Hello little lady, how are you feeling?" He asked taking off his hat.

"I'm good. I was wondering if there was an open area I could work my horse?"

He looked thoughtfully at me, then looked over toward the barn. "I suppose you could use the round pen in back. Its behind the barn." I nodded and was about to walk away, "Miss," He asked.

I turned to him. He looked at me. I mean, he really look at me. It wasn't one of those creepy looks at all. It was like he was just taking time to see me.

"Yes?" I asked in a curious voice.

He smiled very slightly, "You look just like her."

"I know," I choked out. And then I hurried back to Jupiter.

I lead him to the back of the barn where an old wooden round pen was. And then I racked my brain for anything and everything that my mother had taught me--although the memories hurt a little. It was hard not to think of her and feel that empty void.

Alright. Just take it easy. I relaxed a little and sent Jupiter off his lead. He hesitated to run at first but then he took off. Bucking and kicking all over the pen. After I let him get his energy out, we went to work.

Ten minutes later I was absolutely amazed. Jupiter had been out in the pasture and he wasn't rusty one bit. He knew his walk, trot and canter voice commands. Direction changes and halting. He even backed up on command.

"Buddy you're amazing." I cooed as I went over and patted his neck. "I guess it's my turn." I knew this was a little risky. I mean, Jupiter knowing ground work was great. But me riding was a whole another story.

But I never backed down from a little challenge. And I wanted so badly to feel what my mother felt riding. I used some old reins I found in the tack room that Joe had showed me. They clipped onto Jupiter's halter and I stood back.

No saddle. "Behave." I warned Jupiter before I grabbed his big black mane and swung up onto his back. It was a good thing that I was able to pull my own weight--Jupiter was a tall horse and any other rider might have trouble.

"Good boy." I said patting Jupe's neck. "You're a good boy..." I sat there for a few minutes before walking.

Ten minutes later after finding my seat--after all those lost years--I finally felt comfortable. And Jupiter seemed to be the happiest I'd seen him.

I knew that I didn't want to push my luck today. I clean Jupiter up and threw my tack in the shed. I jumped when I felt someone's hand on my shoulder.

"Easy." I turned and met those same beautiful brown eyes. Nate smiled lightly. Almost a sheepish smile.

"I saw you and the devil horse." He followed me as I headed up to the house for lunch.

"I wish you wouldn't call him that. He doesn't like being name-called." I said. Trying to lighten the mood. Nate just shrugged.

"You never told us his name."

"Oh," I guess I hadn't.

We seated ourselves at the table and I could tell Nate made an effort to sit as close to me as possible on the long bench. Danny was the first to walk in the door of the younger boys. He greeted me with a strange smile. It was...warm. And totally not flirtatious like normal. Then Steven behind him and the twins. They all looked tired, and I wondered why Nate hadn't been with them.

"You look good." Steven said after lunch. He walked by and ruffled my hair. He looked a little worn out.

"Wish I could say the same for Nate." Nate had been by my side almost the entire rest of the day. He had dark rings under his eyes and I could see he was struggling the whole day to stay awake. Steven and the others nodded in agreement.

Later that night at diner Nate sat very close to me. And actually for the next few days I noticed that Nate wasn't always with with boys. In fact I felt like he was following me. It wasn't obvious, but I would see him around the barn, or after I was done riding Jupiter--who had been doing really well--and during most meals. The other boys didn't really say much.

Slowly I was getting over Chase. Not that I was in love with him or something, but it hurt to be tricked like that.

Thursday afternoon I made my way out to the barn. Jack had informed me that due to a few showers the boys weren't able to use some of the trails and therefore he had given them a few days off. I figured they were sleeping in.

I was riding Jupiter daily now. Mostly just a twisted bit now--because he responded best to that--but I didn't really use a saddle. I was comfortable riding like this. Jupiter was a beautiful mover, full of grace and strength. He out did any of the other horses on the ranch in my opinion--of course I was bias. How could Jack just forget about a horse like this...

"Good boy Jupe." I patted him as he walked into his stall after our ride. I heard some footsteps behind me as I went to go hang his bridal.

"Hey Tiggie." Nate greeted me. Okay this is it. I just need to tell him right now. I've been avoiding it the past few day, but now is better. I had needed to thank Nate for helping me this time. I just hadn't known the best time.

"Yeah?" Nate looked better today. No more dark circles, and he looked well-rested.

"Have you eaten yet today?" He asked leaning against the door frame.

It was almost time for lunch. I shook my head. I met him at the door. "We're going to Sal's for lunch since we have a couple days off," He looked down a little at his feet.

"That's nice." I said leaning on the other side. He probably wanted to tell me since I would be practically the only one home. Joe and the other workers didn't live here so they were gone. It was just Jack and some of the house maids and a few trainers.

"You want to come?"

I didn't expect that. My head snapped up. "Uhm, er..." I didn't know what to say.

"It's not 'cause I'm babysitting you or anything like that. I just thought you might want to get away for a few hours. You don't have to if--"

"No thanks." I said in the kindest voice I could muster up. "I don't really feel up to it." I admitted. I looked horrible, no matter what they were saying. I didn't want to go out like this.

"Alright." Nate breathed out heavily. I wanted to tell him thank you. He started to walk his way out the door. Just do it!

"Nate," My voice was higher than I had meant for it to be, but I still got a little jumpy thinking about the whole thing.

"Yeah?" He turned back eagerly. I stood there trying to think of the best way to put it. He took a few steps closer and we were now both in the tack room. Alone. I shivered a little.

"Thank you." I whispered. I watched his lips intently, because I couldn't face his eyes. He licked his lips anxiously, and I felt his warm breath on my face. He was that close.

"For what?" He asked in a low tone. I wanted to wrap my arms around him at that moment, like we had when the bear was at my window. I was craving his touch.

"For everything." I forced myself to look. Our lips almost touched at that moment, creating a tingle where his breath grazed mine. "I...I should have listened to yo--"

"Nate!"

That was all it took to shatter that moment. Nate snapped his head around in the direction of the voices.

"Are you sure you don't want to come?" He asked halfway out the door.

"I'm fine."

"Okay..." And with that he was gone.

What just happen? Were we going to kiss? Lord knows I wanted him to kiss me.

But unfortunately something inside me wasn't ready for that. The rest of the week went on like nothing had happen. Nate stayed close by my side mostly but eventually he had to go back to working with the guys and I was left completely alone.

I tried for the next week to try and get a hold of Alex and Jason since Jack's grounding was completely done. I got into a real slump after I realized that Alex and Jason were in Europe. It was originally supposed to be the three of us going but no, I was stuck here.

*( Nate's POV )*

We had just finished putting the horses away and were headed into eat dinner. I looked down to Satan. He was sitting in his stall--that cocky bastard--just eating away at his hay. Tiggie wasn't there.

"Looking for her again?" Ian brushed past me smirking. Am I that obvious?

"No." I snapped back, hitting the back of his head.

"We have a love sick puppy!" Isaac called from inside the barn. The boys all made some real cute howling noises and Danny pretended to pant.

"I regret ever telling you guys anything." I grumbled throwing my saddle onto the shelf.

"Aww, c'mon Nate, we're just teasing." Steven said hoisting his saddle on the rack next to mine.

"Whatever man." I grumbled again. I slapped myself mentally for ever sharing with them my feelings.

"Aw shit!"

We all snapped our heads around to see Danny holding the side of his waist glaring in the direction of Satan.

"That's what I call karma." We all laughed at Danny. He hadn't gotten bitten too bad, but that damn horse had taken a nice nip at him and gotten a piece.

We all ran up to the house. Brenda had the whole house smelling like Italian food and we were starved. It was Friday and we had been working extra hard since the weather was good.

I looked anxiously around the house before sitting down. Tiggie wasn't here...again. She had been like a ghost lately. I didn't know what was wrong with her. I hadn't been able to make up anymore excuses about why I was practically stalking her and the guys wouldn't buy it anymore.

I dug into the pasta. It was Tiggie's favorite. She had to come out--the smell was overwhelming.

"How did work go boys?" Jack asked after we were all basically on our second servings. He liked us to eat before he said much.

"It went well. We've moved all the cattle to a new grazing spot up by The Valley and Deer Trail. We'll need to check on them after a while though. I don't know if they'll stay put for long." I answered and took another bite.

The guys let me talk because I had been working here since my freshman year in high school. Even though Danny and Steven were the oldest--almost in college--normally I took the lead. And no one really minded. Ian and Isaac were the newest and they were my age.

"That's good." Jack mumbled. Joe looked around the table and whispered something to Jack who just shrugged deeply.

"How are the trainers doing?" Ian asked.

"They've got their hands full. I'll need you guys to start helping with the lessons and riding eventually."

Danny let out a moan and rolled his eyes. Kids were never his thing.

"Don't get too excited now Danny," Rosie scolded.

"I don't like little kids..." Danny grumbled shoving more food into his mouth.

"Who is going to be teaching this year?" I asked Jack. Normally people came to get lessons over the summer on our horses or trained them in because of our great riding trails here. That brought in a lot of money, even if it was worse than working a full eight hour day.

"Joe will be taking the younger kids and Rosie will help. The other guys will be teaching the beginner riders," He shifted a little thinking,"Ian and Isaac you can help them. They'll be working in the barn mostly. And...Danny,"

Danny moaned.

"You can work with the intermediate group this time."

A little more relieved Danny didn't moan this time. Last year he had gotten stuck with a group of little brats.

"And Steven and Nate..." Jack furrowed his brow a little. "You'll be working with the oldest group."

Steven grunted but I just nodded in agreement. It was hard to say which group was worse. The group with little brats, or the group your own age that thought they knew it all.

After conversation picked back up to normal conversation I was almost ready to turn in early. "Where's that niece of your Jack?" Dona asked.

I decided I would wait. "She told me she's not hungry." Jack looked down at his plate. This was now getting insane. Tiggie had missed meals with us for at least a week now.

"She's hasn't been doing too good since she's been sick." Joe said.

I felt a punch to the stomach. Remembering her 'sickness' always made me mad. That stupid bastard had made her 'sick' and she hasn't been the same since. Although it must have to do with those phone calls she had been making. Every day it seemed like she went into Jack's Study and called someone. Each time coming out even more glum than before.

"Maybe she's still feeling sick." Rosie suggested.

I looked up to see Steven giving me a knowing glance. I knew I needed to see her. After dinner me and the boys hung out on the porch. It was Friday but we hadn't planned on anything until the weekend.

"I saw her the other day." Ian said out of nowhere.

"Saw who?" Danny asked, pulling out a cigarette. Steven tossed him his lighter after Danny's would work.

"Tiggie." Ian said in a 'duhh', kind of tone.

"When?" I guess my voice gave me away because they all gave me that same look they had been giving me since that night.

I slapped myself mentally--again. "She was going to the Study...she, didn't look bad." Ian cracked a smile and I could tell her was imagining all sorts of things. "She actually looked--" He hesitated when he saw me glaring at him and whipped the smile off his face. "She looked good. Just really...sad."

"Do you think she's still upset about the Farlander kid?" Isaac asked.

He shrugged.

"She doesn't seem like the type to mope." Steven said.

"Yeah..." They all agreed nodding.

She must be feeling lonely...I wished I could do something. Something to help her.

The next morning I woke up to find the guys were all up before me. I searched around the bunk house but couldn't find them. I decided I would check the house.

*(Back to Tiggie)*

It had been rough this past week. I really needed someone to talk to, and although I loved Jupe, he wasn't exactly great conversation. I skipped dinner again and just ate the rest of the box of Wheaties. I hadn't been dreaming the whole week, and that was what had been getting to me. At least when I dreamed I had distractions...

Now waking up today, I still felt lonely. I wondered out into the big Ranch-style home and plopped myself down in the den area. The large TV set was open and I flipped on the TV.

I watched some highlights on ESPN, since it was the only channel that wasn't drowning me in the celebrity gossip and all that. After a while I heard the doors in the kitchen slammed open and shut a few times.

Great. I have to face people today. I turned the volume down but after a while they found me.

"Hey Tiggie." Danny greeted me by ruffling my hair and plopping onto the big reclining chair next to the sofa I was on.

"Hey." Was what I got from most of them as they all came into the big room. Of course they took the remote and turned up the volume at the site of seeing a baseball game on.

Something about them pissed me off today. The way they all just came in here and took the remote that I had, before them. Jerks.

But Nate wasn't with them. I felt my chest deflate. He probably had been avoiding me since the day when I talked to him. I had probably sounded so needy.

"Where have you been lately?" Danny asked after a few minutes. He was sitting on the couch next to me.

"I've been here dumb ass." I retorted. He just chuckled. So did the others. Why are they in such good moods? Maybe it's some weird 'I-have-Saturday-off' syndrome?

"Thanks for leaving me gu--" Nate broke off when he saw me. He looked a little bothered--wearing a more casual pair of jeans and a dark brown T-shirt which caused his tan to only deepen. Stop starring! I scolded myself.

I forced myself to stop acting stupid and speechless around him. "Hey." I kept a level tone.

He came into the living room and sat on the other side. Is it just me or did Danny actually scoot a little further away...maybe it's just me.

"Hi," Nate sat down right next to me--close to me.

I didn't want to look into those eyes that could always look straight through me.

After watching the whole game, listening to Danny and Ian argue about which team was better I couldn't stand it.

"Nah man, did you see his ERA? I don't think so." Danny said shaking his head.

"Who cares about his ERA if he can't hit shit today," Ian argued back. "Three errors in the field--"

"They both suck." I got up and walked out of the room to the dinning room. I grabbed a box a Wheaties. I could faintly hear the boys in the other room. I jumped at the sound of howling coming from their direction. Idiots...They let out some puppy cries and after a few minutes Nate came out of the room--if he hadn't been so tan I would have sworn I could detect a little red on his cheeks.

"Hey," He grunted and sat down next to me. Oh my god...he smells so good. Like-like-l...like a man. Mmmmmm. I shivered a little being so close to him.

"How many of those are you going to eat?" He asked after I had eaten a few bites.

*( Nate's POV )*

"They both suck." Tiggie seemed a little irritated. She walked out of the room, her hips swaying. I need to talk to her...We had never finished our conversation.

"Where are you going?" Steven said with a smirk on his face. Of course they didn't even let me make up an excuses before the howling started. Loud howling.

"Shut up!" I growled at them all. I swear I could feel my face burn. I needed to get out of there before they noticed. It was so strange to feel like this. I never got nervous around girls but Tiggie gave me this weird magnetic feeling whenever she was around.

She was there in the kitchen eating another bowl of those nasty Wheaties she always had. I sat down next to her. Just in case my voice was a little uneven I grunted a ,"Hey."

After she ate a couple bites I decided to start off with a little normal conversation.

"How many of those are you going to eat?" She turned a little pink on her face but kept eating. Oh my god I think I just called her fat! Even though she's not. She actually looks like she's been loosing weight. Poor thing...

Crap! "I mean--not that...you're fat or anything." I wanted to smack myself. "Actually you--"

"It's okay. I know what you meant." She still didn't look up at me. IDIOT! I scolded myself. I decided to hold my tongue. But She didn't speak either so I needed to come up with something...

"Are you going to be helping with the camp?"

"What camp?" She asked between bites.

"Jack has a camp planned this week for riding. You could help me. If you wanted?"

She stopped eating now. She seemed to think about it for a second. "Okay...but what do I have to do?" She took another bite. Man, she was hungry. She was already on her second bowl.

"Well...I have an older group this year. So all you'd have to do is make sure no one is getting into trouble."

She scoughed. "I guess I would know trouble since I'm basically the definition." She tried to hide it but I could hear the sadness in her voice.

"I don't think you're any trouble."

*(TIGGIE)*

"I don't think you're any trouble." He teased me. I just rolled my eyes.

"Yeah," I said sarcastically. But he pushed my bowl aside. "Hey--" I started to complain but he took my hand in his. I started to feel that same way that I had in the barn that one day.

"You're a good person." He said pulling my face up to his.

I scoughed again, "Yeah. I'm just great. I got kicked out of my own home and sent to live with with an uncle I've never met. And on top of that I get drugged and..." I couldn't finished. My voice was starting to choke myself.

While he moved his thumb over my chin I continued, "What have I ever done that isn't trouble? I can't not get into trouble unless I'm doing what I have been this whole week. Hiding."

He pulled me closer, again our lips almost brushed when he spoke. His voice was so warm it sent a chill down my spine and I could barely keep my eyes open. "You've done good while you're here. You saved that horse of yours. He needed you and saved him before we sold him." He paused a second.

"I don't like it when you hide," He said smiling. My face started to burn at his touch. "I--"

RING! RING! RING!

"Just ignore it. I bet it's about camp." He pulled my attention back to him.

"You have reached the Deer ranch residence, leave a message and we'll call you back."

"I want you to kn--"

But he was interrupted by a loud female voice yelling into the receiver. She was speaking some other language...

"Oh my god!" I hated to break from his grasp but I couldn't help it. I ran to the phone and picked up.

"Hello?" I answered the phone.

"Etes-vous a la mai--?" (Are you home?) The voice said in a slight french accent. I knew who this was.

"Alex!" I screamed. She had to be in Europe right now. It was a good thing she forced me to take french with her for two years. Too bad I never got to use it like we had planned--I was supposed to go on the Europe trip with them this summer--but no...I was stuck here.

"Parler en francais s'il ne sauront pas qui c'est." (Please speak french so they won't know it's us). She pleaded. If Jack knew they were calling he would cut off our conversation.

Someone cleared their throat next to me. I looked up. I hadn't noticed Nate had followed me into the Study. I held up my hand indicating I needed a second. I tried to remember all those french words but it was hard to pull it out of nowhere.

"Je ne peux pas parler de francais bien."(I can't speak good french) I answered back.

"Je vous ai manque!"(I missed you) I heard a male voice say. That had to be Jason. He sounded different when he spoke french.

"Hold on." I held my hand over the phone.

"You won't tell Jack I'm on the phone will you?" I begged. He shook his head and stood in the doorway.

"Okay, Alex we can speak English. How are you? Where are you?"

"I'm in France with Grandma. Here--"

"Tigs! How have you been?" Jason asked.

"I've been...good." I hesitated.

"Well we just got to France right now and since our cellphones don't work we are calling from Gran's phone. We wanted to check in on you. I bet if you wanted we could schedule you a flight out here with us. All you need to do is get to an airport."

"I can't Jason. I need to stay here."

The phone was then handed back to Alex. "I've missed you so much! How is the ranch? Still gross?"

I had to think about it a little. I felt the heat creep up to my face and I turned so Nate wouldn't see me blush. "It's better." I whispered. "I'll tell you more later. I can't really hear you--you're breaking up."

"I--love--sorry." And then the phone went dead. That made me feel so much better. I felt almost revived. I breathed out heavily.

Nate was standing in the doorway blocking me from my breakfast. I almost forgot what moment had just been interrupted. I turned a little red when I remembered.

"I didn't know you spoke a second language." He said with a smirk on his face.

"I understand it better than I can speak it. Thanks for not telling Jack."

He shrugged, but still didn't move. I put my hands on my hips and cocked my head. I tried to examine his face but it had an expression on it I had never seen before.

"They asked you to leave?" He said skeptically.

"Yeah." I admitted.

"But...you said no?"

"Yeah." I got a little annoyed. "But don't think I stayed because I like it here. I just don't want to get into trouble." That was a lie. But I didn't want to sound so needy. I pushed past him and went back to my room. Wishing that ache in my heart would stop whenever I wasn't with him. But I had to be strong. I couldn't get attached too easily...
♠ ♠ ♠
©K.T. COMMENT.MESSAGE.SUBSCRIBE :D