My Parents banished me to my Uncle's ranch:

My Parents banished me to my Uncle's ranch:18

In the morning I woke up but the other side of my bed was empty. I looked around and found the clock. It was 7:00 A.M. and Nate was gone. I rolled out of bed and found a piece of paper on my dresser.

I'm in the kitchen. -Nate

I smiled and hid the note in one of the drawers. I threw on a pair of ripped jeans and my black tank-top. Then I brushed my teeth and threw my hair up into a pony tail. And then I remembered Richard...What if he's here already?

I made my way out to the kitchen and saw Nate going through the cupboards.

"Morning," I hopped up on the counter next to him. He had eggs frying and bacon going. And he already had a whole plate full of toast.

"Hey," he smiled into the kiss he planted on my forehead.

"What's up with all the food?" I asked as he pulled out a big box of Wheaties.

"It's my day to make breakfast for the guys." I snatched the box of Frosted Wheaties from him and ate out of the box.

"Why do you even eat those?" He asked wrinkling up his nose. I noticed he had the smallest dimples right under his eyes and on the top of his cheeks.

"I don't know...I've just always eaten them."

"They taste disgusting." He put the box aside.

"Well I think they taste good." I loved those things. They were my favorite. How dare he insult my breakfast of choice.

"I think you taste good..." He put his arms on both sides of my legs and kissed me. I cupped his face and kissed his chin. He rest his forehead on mine and smiled a big goofy grin. I let my fingers run along his jawline. He had such smooth tan skin. And he smelled spicy.

He went to kiss me again but the door to the kitchen opened and Nategrowled as Danny and Ian walked it.

"I knew I smelled--" Ian nudged Danny in our direction. Nate was still leaning against the counter.

"Are we interrupting?" Danny asked smugly. I felt my face heat up.

"Yes," Nate growled. Apparently he wasn't shy about voicing our little...moment?

Danny ignored him and reached right past us and grabbed a piece of toast.

"It's fine." I said hopping off of the counter and taking the cereal back to the table.

"So I take it there was another bear attack..." Ian asked sitting down at the table. Danny and Nate were in the kitchen cooking the rest of the breakfast.

I rolled my eyes and kept eating. Soon all the guys were awake. Isaac and Steven came in only a few minutes later. They all piled their plates high with eggs and bacon and sat down. Nate sat at the seat right next to me and placed his arm on my shoulder. He didn't seem to mind the looks the guys were giving us. He just seemed really relaxed. Unlike me. I didn't exactly like having them look at me and him like they were.

"Where's Jack?" Steven asked.

"Yeah, his truck is gone." Isaac added.

"He's talking to Richard." Nate answered them. I looked up to try and see his face. He seemed unemotional. How typical for men...

"When were you going to tell me this?" I said elbowing him in his side. He flinched a little and lowered his arm.

"I didn't think you needed to worry about it. You kept mumbling in your sleep about it."

"How would you know what she was saying in her sleep?" Danny asked.

My face started to burn again and I slapped Nate over the head. He just ginned playfully and shrugged. I shook my head while the rest of them chuckled a little. Surprisingly I was finding it harder and harder to even be mad at Nate.

And more to my surprise the guys seemed like brothers when they weren't bugging the hell out of me. Of course the jokes went on all through breakfast but with Nate sitting by my side I felt content. I didn't even bother to really insult them back.

After breakfast Nate and the boys needed to check up on the cattle and I decided that I needed some one-on-one time with Jupe.

"I'll be back as soon as I can." Nate said ducking down and giving me a light peck on my forehead.

"Hurry back." I pleaded.

I watched him and the guys gallop off. I tried not to worry about my little problem I was having. That problem being Richard.

I couldn't help it though. For the next hour all I did was brush Jupe. I couldn't stop thinking about what Jack had told me.

"You're moving to New York..."

"I'd like to see them try and make me," I mumbled to Jupe. He was such a great listener.

"It's just like Richard to do something like this...just get up and leave. I don't know why he didn't just leave me behind. Now that would be more like the Richard I know..." Jupe just snorted and shook his mane out in agreement.

And a boarding school? Are you kidding me? I couldn't even comprehend that. I stood there brushing away my frustration with every stroke. Jupe didn't seem to mind though. He was probably enjoying this massage.

"I know I hated it here in the beginning...but that was until I met you buddy." I patted him and hugged his long elegant neck.

And Jack. He had been more of a father figure than Richard ever was. He gave me space but at least he made an effort showing he cared. And Nate...god, how can I leave Nate now? My heart constricted at the thought of that. And Steven and Danny and Isaac and Ian. They were--in a strange sense--my friends.

And then my heart just broke thinking about Jason and Alex...my fami--

I was broken from my rushed thoughts at the sound of a telephone ringing inside the house. I jogged up to the house and made my way to the Study.

I hesitated to answer, what if it's Richard...

RING--RING!

I picked up the phone, "Hello?"

A loud couple of voices sounded on the other end, "Joyeux anniversaire!"

I gasped at the phone and then looked to the calendar on the wall. June 30

"Helloooooooo?" Alex called from the other end of the line.

"Alex? Jason?" I asked in disbelief still trying to comprehend.

"Vous etes legal maintenante!"(You're legal now) Alex giggled. I heard Jason's angry voice on the other line scolding her in french, "Ne pas dire cela!"(Don't say that).

"Don't tell me you forgot your own birthday?" Alex asked in disbelief.

I blinked back the surprise. It was definitely my birthday. I hadn't noticed.

"How could you forget?" Jason asked.

"I've been occupied..." I admitted. "But thanks for calling. I know your long distance bill is going up by the milliseconds!"

"Like that even matters!" Alex was back talking now. "It's not like you to forget your own birthday Tigs. What's wrong? Spill." She ordered. I didn't hesitate to fill her in on what was going on. About Jack and Richard and me moving and the mention of boarding school. I even told her about Nate, which Jason wasn't happy about in the beginning--being the protective brother he was.

"Oh. My. God." I could tell Alex was pissed. "That--that...that...Bastard! Tigs, I will be on the next flight to--"

"No," I cut her off. "You'd be too late anyways. I know you want to help but it's really out of my hands right now. Unless Jack really can help."

"T-g, I...don't--"

"You're connection is going out again."

"I'm so sorry...We..love you."

"I love you too. I'll keep you guys upda--" But the phone line went dead. I slammed the phone back on the receiver. Stupid long distance...

I pushed my way out the door and headed back for Jupe. I wondered in the back of my mind where Jack was...he had been gone and as far as I knew he was 'talking to Richard'.

Uh...Happy birthday Tiggie. Happy effing birthday! At least I knew I wouldn't forget this one. Isn't your 18th birthday supposed to be something huge? I shook that thought though. To be honest, all I really wanted was Nate. I wanted him to just hold me one last time before I...I...left...

But was I really leaving? I couldn't...could I?

I tried hard not to think about those things. I made my way back to the barn and picked up the brush. I needed a curly-comb and headed for the old tack shed.

This was the second time I had entered this old room since I had been here. No one ever used this old tack shed. I kinda knew why.

I flipped on the old light switch and watched as the light bounced off of gold and blue. I had almost run out of this place the last time Jack had pulled me in here. But it was different now.

I marveled at all the trophies, ranging from small plaques to large cups filled with dead roses. Dusty pictures hung from the sides also. There were old boxes in the corner of the small room next to a rack with some grooming supplies.

I knelt down at the wrack--but instead of grabbing for the curly-comb--my hand automatically dove into the box. I pulled out some old newspapers and pictures.

The top magazine article's title jumped out at me immediately: Erin Tiggie killed in accidental death...I had never seen these before. I shuffled through until another paper caught my eye.

Montana's Own Takes the Gold!

Erin Tiggie Wins Rolex Classic

Interview With World's Youngest Female Competitor

I stopped at that one. I skimmed over the interview only catching the details that mattered.

Q: What does is feel like to be the youngest female competitor coming from the states?

A: I'm just blessed to have the opportunity.

Q: What's it like to travel the world riding?

A: It's a dream come true--but also a nightmare at the same time. I hate to leave my daughter behind, but one day soon she'll be able to come along.

...I skimmed the article some more...

Q: You've recently retired your horse, Red Light, and are training on a younger one. How does that affect your competing.

A: Well, it was Red's time to take a break. I've recently started training a new gelding. He's not ready to compete yet--he's still too nervous. My trainers are pushing us though, I just hope he'll be able to handle the pressure.

Q: Can you tell us more about your new gelding?

A: He's a head case. He's got a lot of attitude--not like Red at all. But we've bonded lately. He's really taken a liking to my daughter--so has she. He'll be ready soon enough.

A large pain in my stomach made it hard for me to continue.

Q: When is your next show?

A: Couple months.

Q: Do you think you're ready?

A: If all goes well, Jupiter will be flying in no time.

What really did me in was seeing the picture. I held that old magazine article delicately in my hand--as if it were going to turn to ash before my eyes. Seeing her. Seeing her...with "Jupiter". She and I looked too much alike. Even in the photograph you would see her blue eyes sparkling--and Jupe standing behind her in all his polished glory.

I ransacked that box but to my dismay I only found that one picture. Sure there were other things...

"Best in Show"

"Top Female Rider"

She was even on the cover of an old magazine. I sat in that tack room for hours just reading over all the articles. I couldn't get enough of them. Richard had barely mentioned her after the 'accident' and these were slowly answering all my question.

I picked up a small black book buried beneath the rubble--

"Tigs! Tigs where the hell are you?" I don't exactly know why but I whipped the tears that had leaked from my eyes and stuffed everything into the box. All accept the black book with gold writing--I stuffed that in my back pocket.

"Tiggi--" I slammed the door behind me while bumping into Nate. I fell back a little but he caught my arm as I stumbled.

"Why didn't you answer?" He asked pulling me into a one-armed hug and leading me out of the barn.

"I was busy...thinking...I didn't really hear you." I didn't want to tell him yet what I found. It was too sacred.

He shrugged and just smiled as we put all the horses away. Steven and Danny seemed especially obnoxious for some reason. I couldn't put my figure on it, but it seemed like they were sneaking around all the time. I hadn't even seen Ian or Isaac for the rest of the evening--which made me suspicious.

"Where are Ian and Isaac?" I asked as Nate and I headed for the ranch house. We had spent an extra long time with the horses and cleaning up around there.

"I don't know..." Nate shrugged. He brushed aside the comment by lacing his hand between mine--that same spark of fire burnt my flesh.

I just starred down at our hands intertwined while we walked up to the door. This could be the last time we hold hands...I heard some scuffling noises coming from inside the house as Nate opened the door and forced me in first.

"Happy birthday brat!" Danny yelled while grabbing me into a big bear hug.

"Wh--" My breathing was cut short as he squeezed the breath out of me. He finally let me down and I looked around at the scene. My jaw dropped. There--on the table--was a strawberry cake and vanilla ice cream. Ian and Isaac were sitting on the counter proudly next to all the stuff.

"You...but how?...my..." How did they know it was my birthday? I didn't even know it was my birthday...

"Oh my god she's finally speechless!" Steven mocked. I slapped him playfully and then hugged him. I hugged them all and we sat down at the table and started to eat.

"How did you know it was my birthday?" I asked Nate. He just shrugged.

"Lucky guess." He smirked.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah right!" Ian laughed while biting into his cake.

"He talked to that one girl..." Isaac looked thoughtful for a moment, "Alex, the french one. She called early today an--"

"And Nate dragged us along as we went and got all this for you." Ian finished.

I looked over to Nate. He wouldn't look up at me--I swear if his skin wasn't so tan I think he might have been blushing. "You did that for me?" No one--accept Alex and Jason--had ever done that kind of a thing for me. I mean, I know it was a small thing but Nate did it for me...

"Of course." He smiled wryly.

*(Nate's POV)*

I'm so so so so so so so so so so so...so so so--'whipped'. That's how the guys put it. But I wasn't whipped. I wanted to do this for her. I talked to Alex for almost an hour about her favorite things. Strawberry cake--kinda odd choice--and plain vanilla ice cream.

She looked over at me--her eyes big and blue--trying to hold my attention. I couldn't though. "You did that for me?" She asked setting down all her food and starring up at me.

"Of course." I tried to just smile and not really look at her. I was afraid if I looked at her she would see what was in my eyes. She would see that I would do anything for her. I wasn't sure if she was ready for me. For what I felt.

I was surprised to see when I finally looked down, her cheeks were turning a soft pink hue against her freckled skin. She looked a little hesitant and flashed a look at the guys before throwing her arms around my neck and bringing me down into her soft kiss.

I held her there. Letting the taste off strawberries linger between us. My heart skipped a beat whenever she touched me--sometimes I just held her hand so I could feel that rush I always did.

"Get a room..." Ian mumbled. Tiggie pulled away immediately--a little pink still on her cheeks.

"How 'bout you get out of this one." She shot back at Ian, glaring playfully. There's the Tiggie I lo--...

"Fine," Ian jumped off the counter and Isaac followed him. "We'll just take this outside then." They pretended to act snooty but I knew they were just teasing. When they opened the doors to the house I knew something was wrong. They stood there with shocked expressions on their faces.

"Holy--" Isaac started.

Ian finished, "Shit!"

(TIGGIE)
Nate jumped up and made his way to the door. But I knew what was going on. I just sat there trying to find a way to put it inter words.

Pain. That's was it landed at. That's the only thing I could feel right now. Pain in my head, from thinking about leaving this place. And over-thinking what kind of horrible names I could come up with--knowing they wouldn't help me now.

But most importantly I felt pain in my heart. Because I knew I could have to leave Jupiter behind. Not to mention Jack. And the memories of my mother.

...I didn't want to even think about Nate.

"Who the hell is that?" Nate asked turning to me. I buried my head in my hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
©K.T. COMMENT.MESSAGE.SUBSCRIBE :D