Daemonophobia; The Fear of Demons

In which the year comes to a close

My head hammers from the dull aftershock of the unnatural howling wind. I move in a comatose state. Soon I fall asleep entirely.

. . .

"Gry? Are you awake?"

A soft knocking on the door accompanies Mikey's voice. I sit up in bed, trying to rub the sleep from my eyes. I look over as my closed door, and get up to open it. As soon as I see him, Mikey rushes forward and engulfs me in a hug. The warmth of his arm's around me makes me smile and I return his hug.

"Mikey. Guess what?"
"What?"

"It's gone." I look up and smile at him. He smiles wide and gently sweeps the hair from my eyes. Softly, he kisses my forehead, leaving me wondering what's going on in his head.

"I'm so glad." He whispers, "I was so worried that..."

He cleared his throat. Worried that I'd die. That's what he's thinking. In his sea-foam eyes, I see myself reflected. I close the gap between us, hugging Mikey close to me, burying my face in his shoulder. I feel him relax after a moment and rest his head on my shoulder. I can his heart beating and hear the rush of air enter and leave his lungs.

I sigh heavily, happy that everything turned out so well. Mikey pulls away and smiles. Suddenly, my heart flutters. I can feel my cheeks flush and I pull away in a small fit of embarrassment. But my movement is stopped and I turn back to Mikey, shocked at how his eyes are steeled in resolve.

"Gry... About you and Danny..." He starts off slow, takes a deep breath, and be fore I can think to stop him--"I think you two should break up. Not because Danny's wrong for you, it's just that I think that I would be better. I don't know when exactly, but I feel in love with you, Gry. Or at least very deep like. I see that, " --"Mikey"-- "You two get along so well, and I respect that. It's not that I'm" --"Mikey."-- "forcing you or anything. It's that it really hurts to see you with someone else. Especially when I've been by your side this whole time and"

"MIKEY!"

He looks down at me with surprise, like he had no clue that I'd been trying to stop is rampage. His eyes look sad, like he's failed. I shake my head and say what I interrupted for.

"Mikey... Danny and I aren't together anymore. I know you love me... You're... you're Mikey. And .. And you're my Mikey. Mine. And..." I stop, looking down and lowering my voice to a whisper, "I'm your, Gry. If.. If you'll take--

I'm cut off by Mikey gently kissing me. It was soft and warm and fleeting. Mikey pulled away and looked down at me, his eyes shining like his greatest wish had been granted. My heart slammed against my ribcage. Mikey and I just... kissed... The thought buzzed in my head, annihilating any others.

"I like you. A lot." He says.

I can only nod.

"And I'll always be here."

Again, I nod.

"I'm sorry for dropping this on you, but it's been pent up for a while. Long while, actually."

Finally, my head starts working and I'm able to speak.

"That's okay. But Mikey, " I look up at him, "Can we not...Are we gonna... Ugg... I don't even know what to say."

I huff in frustration. I look up at Mikey and his eyes are patient as ever. I sigh, comforted by the familiarity.

"Let's not... rush or acted all..." I look away, "Goofy... or, " I feel my lips turn up at the word goofy, and I hear Mikey laugh softly under his breath.

"One day at a time. And I promise not to rush." He smirks, "But goofy you have to deal with. Remember, I'm Mikey! The captain of Goofiness!"

I laugh with him and my mind is at ease. After all, he's right. He is Mikey.My Mikey. I smile wide and he returns it. Then a sudden serious face clouds over his eyes. He looks at me and then behind him, towards the door.

"I'm extremely hungry. And I just might eat you." His serious face cracks a little as he fights a smile. He reaches out, zombie-style, with his arms straight and starts lumbering towards me. I squeal and dash out the door, lightness restored to my body.

We run around and goof off, acting like our normal selves. I'm probably the happiest at this moment.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

"Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!" Luna shrieks at the top of her lungs, barreling towards me and slamming against me.

She crashed into my side, making me stumble against the railing of the staircase. I could see Danny behind her, waiting for her to stop freaking out before he'd talk to me. The students flowing past barely turned to look at us.

"You're alive! I thought you'd be in the hospital for sure." Her words flowed like a torrent, "I saw you leaving, you were pale as a ghost, like a scared out of its mind ghost."

"Thank...You...?" I rolls my eyes and look at Danny. Luna releases me and Danny hugs me close to him.

"I'm glad you're okay. And.." I look up at him, and smile at the gleam in his eyes, "Science is going to get a whole lot better."

I laugh and he smiles and the school day starts, signaled by the ringing bell.

~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~ + ~

Science, was in fact, better. The whole school some how found out about the drastic changes that happened to Ms. Coal. However, I, much to the delight of myself and the others, was not included in any of the whisperings. The rumors died down though, and by the time school let out for summer Ms. Charlotte Coal had become just another teacher that gave out homework.

On a side note, Emma didn't lose her daemon that year. When I saw her in sophomore year, we shared art and history, the black wisp butterfly still hovered close by. It was never aggressive, like the Dragon had been, but I knew that it was a parasite, no matter how docile. She and I were friends, often working together, but I was never able to talk to her about what was troubling her.

Fletcher. He joined our little group over the summer. I think he realized that he was kept out of some secret, but he never complained. By junior year, he was inseparable from us, and a welcome and trusted addition to our gymnasium balcony lunches. At one point I introduced him to Emma; one word, smitten, on both sides.

Speaking of smitten, Luna and Danny were just that. All through the summer, sophomore year, junior year, and into that summer too. They were not a flashy couple, and I believe that they were closer to each other for it. This year, senior year, shows no sign of them parting, which isn't to say they haven't had their problems or arguments, but each time they've talked it out and become even closer. I'm almost positive they'll stay together till death due them part.

Which brings us to Mikey and I.

We didn't get together freshmen year, or sophomore year, or junior year. The summer coming into senior year, however, I finally looked at Mikey and knew that I loved him. More than a brother, more than a friend, although I had loved him as those. I realized I loved him as Mikey, the boy who was becoming a man and as the person I wanted to be with until the end of time.

And so started senior year.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think this is the end.
I have another story I'm working on, and it's gonna rock!

Till we meet again. Fare thy well, O Victors of greatness.

~LOVEAMBER~
XD

p.s.
Comments are my fuel.