Status: Hiatus

To Get to the Top!

Father Time

Carlee wobbled down the driveway to Alexander’s car, eyeing the boy with distaste. He retained a smug smile however, his hips swaying as he unlocked his car with a flick of the wrist.
Over the five hours spent in the boy’s stuffy room, Carlee decided that Alexander was incapable of learning history and that she would never try to teach him the roles of great leaders. He apparently already thought he was a great enough leader all by himself and the only persons he needed to learn from was Tom Delong, Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker.
Starting the engine of his car, he pulled out of the driveway and pulled onto the road swiftly.

“Get your seatbelt on.” He ordered playfully, “Only got five minutes to get you back home before my friends get here”
“Then start driving” Carlee rolled her pretty eyes, fixing the seatbelt across her chest.
“So I’m curious,” Alex started a conversation, “how exactly your father can be so... invisible, while you... stick out like a sore thumb”
“Sore thumb, really?” Carlee tried teasing, failing miserably.
“Well you don’t stick out that much,” Alex playfully glanced at her chest.
Her eyes widened in shock, mouth dropping in silence. How was she to respond to that?

“I’m kidding. Sorry” Alex apologised, watching the road.
It wasn’t long after that Carlee arrived back home, entering her home to find her father a slumped mess on the couch. She had never seen him look so entangled, and she found herself thankful that Alex had peeled from her driveway the minute she entered her home.
“Dad?” She spoke with worry.
He glanced up at her threw his hands and forced a smile onto his suddenly pale face. “Hi Cars”
“What’s going on?”
Moving closer to her father, Carlee braced herself for whatever disaster was about to take place.
“It’s nothing to worry about, honestly. I’m just a little stressed”

Carlee watched as her father raked his fingers through his hair, breathing deeply in frustration. Piles of paper sheets were spread around him on the coffee table, each covered in the neat handwriting that belonged to Daniel Smythe.
Both stayed silent until Daniel turned back to his daughter and began speaking. “Work’s just falling through”
“Dad, you’re going to be noticed. You deserve it” Carlee told her father honestly.
Daniel smiled down at his daughter, patting her cheek softly. “I’m not the only one who deserves it, Cars.”

Heaving a heavy sigh Carlee left her father for the kitchen, planning to make him a dinner that was sure to lighten his mood. Though she had gone shopping the previous day, Carlee wasn’t quite sure what to make her father. Considering her options for a few moments, Carlee poked her head out and finally asked: hearing him pitifully ask for a “peanut butter and jam sandwich”.
Slapping together the snack she moved back to his side, handing over the sandwich and watching as he sunk his teeth in. Daniel Smythe loved peanut butter sandwiches, though he never ate them unless he found himself in a foul mood; this alone told Carlee she had her work cut out for her.

“How about we have a father daughter night? Forget about work and just hang out, like we used to?”
Daniel smiled down at his daughter, silently thanking god for blessing him with this perfect daughter. “I’d like that”
Carlee quickly unfolded the hidden drawing table that rested behind the couch while her father found a deck of cards. The rest of the night spent squabbling over cheaters and free turns.

================================================================

One long week later and Carlee found herself pacing her bedroom in frustration. Her father had left for work an hour ago, moping quietly in his bland brown suit.
He had spoken to his boss just yesterday, proof that Alexander had kept his part of the bargain by speaking with his father; unfortunately it didn’t go the way Carlee hoped. Mr Gaskarth had called her father into his office and had a private talk with him about his business ethic.
In the end Daniel Smythe left the office with at least ten more projects and a small pat on the back.

“Relax,” Michelle soothed through the cordless phone, “Your dad got noticed, that is what you wanted, right?
Carlee flopped onto her bed with a quiet groan, hand rubbing at her forehead. “I don’t know! I just expected --“
“Him to get a big fat promotion right off the bat like that other guy?” Michelle finished.
“Yes” Carlee agreed, frowning at her blank ceiling.
“Then...” Michelle paused, letting the phone crackle on her end before finishing, “talk to Alex again. Tell him you want your dad to have a promotion or something...”
“Whatever happened to ‘don’t meddle’?” She teased her friend lightly.
“Oh but of course! Cars, don’t you dare talk to Alexander again and get your father a promotion! You should be happy with what you got!”

Carlee sucked her bottom lip into her mouth and let her thoughts take over as Michelle continued sarcastically in her rant. Her father still wasn’t happy, and that was enough of a driving force to talk to Alexander again.

“I’m going to do it, Mich”
“Obviously. Call me back when you’re done.”
Carlee shook her head with a smile on her face as the phone went dead, clicking the ‘off’ button and placing it beside her. With a heavy sigh Carlee readied herself to get in contact with Alexander Gaskarth, hoping she’d be able to come up with some sort of deal before the unscheduled meeting.
♠ ♠ ♠
Shitty update, I know, but I finally got it out.
If you don't know by now my laptop is in a state of unrepair which makes updating very hard. I'm trying to keep up and get things out quickly but don't get upset if it takes awhile or has shitty errors. I try to triple check to make sure my keyboard hasn't missed more random letters. :)
I'll let you know how things are going on my twitter or my journals on here. :)