Status: complete.

Breaking the Rules, NHL Style

part twenty Guess I Forgot Something

And there it was. Christmas came and went, along with New Years. Sure we had a blast, but it all felt so numbing. Going so fast, barley even registering what was going on. But still continuing life as if everything was fine. And it should be right?

February 3rd

Dear Whatever This May Be; And Whoever Will listen,

Hi, I’m Tristan Davis, and I’m eighteen years old. I’m 5’4, with a strong build, lot’s of muscle, if you will. I’ve got naturally curly blondish hair and bright blue eyes. I have a lot of likes and dislikes, and someone that falls into both of those categories would be my own teammate, my own friend, my own lover? If you haven’t guessed by now, I guess I should just tell you. Evgeni Malkin. Two words I love to hear, and two I absolutely hate, two that make me smile on the inside-out, and two that kill me. Two words that still hasn't confessed what love he might have for me. And two words that still hasn’t kissed me since Christmas.

But on with my life. I’m originally from Detroit, Michigan, but before the beginning of eighth grade I moved to Buffalo, New York. When I first found out we were moving, I was mad. My dad had just been divorced the year before, guess he wanted to start over. So we packed up, leaving behind my friends, my room, my house, and my favorite NHL team.

I got to New York, and the first thing I did was sign up for a house hockey team, since tryouts for comp teams had been in the spring. Anyway, I had learned to skate when I was two. My dad had played hockey in his younger days, playing over in Europe, but never making it to the NHL. I followed in his footsteps, playing hockey all of my life, always on some comp. team, but really never thinking of continuing my hockey career after high school, I was a girl after all. What more could I do? So I had been skating before the season started, warming up and all. And the second time I had stepped on that ice in Buffalo, I was called over to the bench. The man was a coach from one of the local comp teams, he told me he wanted me to play on his Bantam “A” team, which was a boys team, I had played with boys all my life anyway, so I said yes right away. And that season, that’s when I found out that my life passion was hockey.

So now, here I am, five years later, sitting in my room in Pittsburgh. Which I currently play for the Pittsburgh Penguins, in the middle of my rookie season. I am the FIRST women player in the NHL. I wear an “A” on my jersey, assistant to Sidney Crosby. I am proud to wear the “A”, but it’s not consuming me. I look up to my teammates, they are very inspiring, amazing people.

I guess I should talk to you about my living space. Since my dad and I didn’t have enough money for me to stay in my own place, he thought it would be best if I stayed with some teammates. I live with three of my teammates. Jordan Staal, Sidney Crosby, and do I have to say it -all right- Evgeni Malkin. It’s fun, crazy, irritating and weird. But I love it here, and I’m glad I’m in Pittsburg, I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else. I’ve got great teammates, hilarious coaches, and the best friends. I’m content with my life.

Penguins are doing well this season, very well. Today is February thirteenth, and we’ve played 61 games, loosing seventeen of those games. I’m still leading the team with sixty seven points, and third in the NHL. Not bad right? Oh, and yes, I have scored a hat-trick this season, three to be exact.

Tomorrow is Valentine's day, and I’ve got all of my teammates and coaches little chocolate hearts. But of course, for my closer friends, I got them each something special. The gang is spending the night tonight, actually should be here soon. So that’s when I will give them their stuff. Tomorrow we play a game against Florida Panthers. I’m pumped. Well I always am. So I was-


“Tristan!”

And of course, I was interrupted again.

“What?” I hissed, looking up from my notebook, seeing Evgeni at the door. I rolled my eyes.

“Hey, don’t be mad at me,” he said leaning on the door frame, with a smug look on his face.

“Ahh! What do you want, don’t you see I’m in the middle of something?” I asked, pointing at my paper.

“OH! Let me see.” Evgeni started running, jumping on my bed.

“NO!” I cried, trying to grab my notebook.

“And there it was. Christmas cam-”

“No!” I grabbed the notebook out of his hands.

“Oh common Tristy, please?” Evgeni asked, giving me his puppy dog face.

Aww! He’s so cute! NO. Tristan, the notebook, that has vital info in it!

“Whatever.”

I turned over shoving the notebook in my bedside drawer, which locked.

“Ahh you’re so mean,” Evgeni pouted, pulling me over to lay next to him.

“You’re cute,” he whispered, stroking my arm. I melted.

“Evgeni?” I scooted closer to him.

“Mhm?”

“You’re cute too.”

“Thanks babe.”

Ooh! He called me babe!

"I’m cold,” I hinted.

Evgeni pulled me closer to him, wrapping his arms around my back, guess he took the hint pretty well. I buried my head in his chest, inhaling his wonderful scent. It was times like this that I wanted melt in his arms, and kiss him again and again. But at the same time I wanted to rip from his grip and yell at him. Asking him if he has any feelings for me, or if he’s just playing me. But I guess I don’t have enough guts, because I took the easy way out and melted in his arms.

“Tristan, I wanna know something,” Evgeni said, finally breaking the silence.

“Yeah?” I asked, looking into his eyes, he was smiling down at me.

“You don’t have to tell me, if you don’t wanna. But I was wondering, in California, at that camp, when you saw you’re sister, why were you so scared, and what are the scars on you’re back from? And don’t tell me that you feel out of a tree. Cause I know that’s not true.”

I froze. Evgeni wants to know what happened, between me and Kat. But he can’t, he won’t understand.

I started shaking.

“I-I.” I couldn’t finish the sentence.

“Shh, take you’re time,” Evgeni reassured me, stroking my hair, and keeping a tight grip on me.

“All I remember is Kat, a dark room, crying, screaming and Bryce saving me time and time again,” I said. The memories came flooding back, tears flooded from my eyes, and Evgeni continuously wiped them from my face.

“You don’t remember anything more?” he asked, keeping his voice soft.

“It hurt, really bad. My back was stinging, and I think bleeding,” I said, my voice muffled in Evgeni’s shirt.

“You mean, Kat used to beat you?” Evgeni's voice a little shaky. I nodded my head, not wanting to hear anymore.

“Oh Tristan. I’m so sorry. I promise I will never let something like that happen again. You’re safe.”

I sighed, as he pulled me in closer, whispering words of comfort.

A few minutes later a knock came at the door.

“Hey Tristan.”

I looked at my door, where Jordan was standing. “Some chicks here to see you. Her name’s Kat. But isn’t that like you’re sister’s name? It couldn’t be her, right?” Jordan asked, uneasy.

“What?” I let go of Evgeni, running down the stairs of our house, suddenly full of anger. I jumped the last two stairs, and threw up the door. Sure enough, there she was. Katarina.

“Hello little sister,” Kat said, brining her hand to my face, her long nails against my skin. For a second I closed my eyes, shaking and scared. And then, I knew what I needed to do.

“Get you’re filthy hands off of my face. And get off my deck, and off my property, in fact get out of my life!” I yelled, pushing her away from me.

“What are you doing? You know what happens when you push me, don’t you little sister?” Kat asked. Her scrawny legs uncovered, she was wearing a skimpy leather skirt, with a red tank top. She looked almost drunk, makeup smeared, and she was shaking.

“I don’t care, Kat! I’m not afraid of you anymore. I don’t want to be, and I don’t have to be. I’m not that helpless little girl I was before. I’m not going to go hide myself in a corner. YOU do not control me. You’re not going to anymore. You hear?”

“B-But-”

“No Kat! NO! Get out of my life. All right? Take Connor and leave. You two aren’t using me, manipulating me anymore! And give me back my brother,” I finished, about to close the door.

“No, I came here to find you, to bond with you,” she muttered swinging a little. And I laughed, laughed straight in her face.

“Go back home. You’re pathetic.”

With that I slammed the door.

“Did that just happen?” Sidney asked from behind me.

“Yes,” I confirmed, relieved, walking into the kitchen.

“You’re my hero!” Sidney twirled me around.

“Thanks Bud!”

“She’s gone!” Jordan called from the living room.

“She left in a car. And she’s gone. Creepy one, isn’t she? Good thing we got that knew alarm system, huh?” Sidney and I started laughing.

“Yeah good thing!” Evgeni laughed, slapping Jordan on the back as the two walked into the kitchen. The four of us stood huddled up.

“I’m so glad that you guys are my friends,” I said, smiling at each of them.

“LOVE YOU!” they yelled hugging me.

“Love you too!”

Ding Dong.

“DOOR!” I cried and Sidney and Jordan sprinted to it. Evgeni slowly following.

“Hey Evgeni?” I asked, he turned around, wearing a goofy smile.

“What are you smiling about?” I asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Oh nothing,” he said, walking slowly toward me.

“So what did you wanna say?” he asked, hands in pocket, looking as cute as ever.

“Thanks Evgeni.”

“For what Tristan?”

“Everything.”

He was now inches from me.

I smirked at the boy, “What are you doi-”

I grabbed his collar, bringing his lips to mine. For a second he didn’t react, but then he pushed me up against him, deepening the passionate kiss.

We broke away, staring into each others eyes. His hand fell to my skin, feeling my heat beat rapidly up and down. His hand on my bare skin [I was wearing a tank top] made my heart rate go ten times faster. He looked down, fingers fumbling with my necklace.

The little hockey skater on the chain, which I now held close to me, never taking it off. He pulled the skater up to his mouth, kissing it lightly, then letting it fall back to my chest. We smiled at each other until I saw that he still wore my bracelet.

“Hmm, I see you still have it,” I observed, reaching out a finger to stroke the bracelet.

“I do. Always.”

He laced his hands with mine.

“You ever gonna give it back?” I smirked at Evgeni.

“Nope. You still have something of mine.”

“What!” I whisper-yelled, the question of who was in the closet with me was burning in my head. Evgeni shrugged.

Voices filled my ears.

“Fine, loser!” I stuck my tongue out at him. Evgeni pulled me closer, to him.

His breath danced on my face, lips inches from mine. I closed my eyes.

“Guess we better go.”

My eyes quickly opened, seeing Evgeni smirking at me.

“Evgeni!” I gasped, hitting him lightly.

“Oh, I guess I forgot something. He leaned in and...

Grabbed an apple off of the counter behind me?!!

“Evgeni!” I whinnied.

“Bye.”

He waved goodbye and I jumped on his back.

We rode off into the sunset!

Err, or more like into our living room, where we greeted our friends.