Pizza and Wine

Chapter 14.

*August 1st 2008*

Sweaty palms lingered over silver and cool doorknobs. They inched closer, sneaking up among their prey, yet feeling like the hunted. They came into contact with the metal and pushed, hard and the door swung open towards their victory. The glint in their eye rejoiced and as a cough came from the doctor, the world spun back into her head.

Jamie flicked her head up, smiling at who waited. He offered her a seat and looked at her questioningly.

“I’m pregnant,” her lips formed the words and she heard them echo in her mind. He smiled and looked down at his sheet. Jamie looked at him and he suddenly grasped her hand.

“I’m Dr. Thorn,” he beamed and she looked at him and something inside of her compelled her to smile back. His hand retreated back and he took out some leaflets for her. She opened them, skimming the contents of each before placing them back down onto the wooden desk.

Jamie lay on the bed, the screen of the scanner flickering before a picture showing up. Dr. Thorn nodded and Jamie held her breath, watching the little dot move about. It was no bigger than her palm and the corners of her mouth stretched into a grin.

She couldn't believe that that was her baby. Her little tiny baby. It looked so small, yet, it was alive. It was a little human being. A human being that would grow and be just like her. It would look up to her, and never leave her. It was hers. Hers and Mike's...and Frank's...

She continued to stare at the tiny dot moving around and the doctor smiled before flicking off the screen, bringing her mind back into focus. She climbed off the bed and they spoke about her eating habits and what she must and must not do. Jamie was relieved to have somebody there for her and thought ahead to the next few months.

She had a weird feeling all the way home. It wasn't a bad feeling. It was sort of like...that she was glowing. She felt so happy and she wanted everyone to know.

When she got home, she told everything to Mike. He grinned and gave Jamie a hug, patting her stomach lightly.

"We gotta go over to Billie's. He wants us over for supper before we go back on tour, and also has something to tell us. The other guys are gonna be there too. They don't feel like staying in their hotel all night, since we're leaving tomorrow and stuff. So they're coming over too," Mike explained.

"Okay," Jamie said and got ready to go.

Mike drove himself and Jamie over to Billie and Adie's and Mike escorted Jamie to the front door where they were greeted by a tipsy Tré.

"Heyyyy guyyys!" he slurred, a cup of beer in his hand. Mike laughed, walking past Tré and greeting Billie and Adrienne with a hug, as did Jamie.

"Is everyone here?" Mike asked.

Adrienne nodded, "they're in the game room, playing video games with the boys."

The couple walked down the hall and into the game room to find little Jakob playing Guitar Hero against Ray. And he was doing pretty good too.

"Haha! I win!" The eleven year old shouted.

Mike sniggered.
"Way to go, Toro." He was thanked with a cushion being thrown at his face but he caught it and threw it back, knocking Ray off guard and making him mess up. They laughed and Ray pouted a little, turning back to the screen.

They sat round, watching various games played before Billie called everyone into the dining room as dinner was served.

Joey and Jakob were picking at each other, like they usually do at the table, and everyone was having their own little conversations.

"Now...you guys said that you have something to tell us?" Gerard stated.

The room went quiet and Billie cleared his throat before looking at his wife who smiled.

"Well, we do have some news for you. And I'm not sure quite how to say this but.. we're having a baby," Adie smiled and everybody grinned before congratulating the pair.

They blushed a little and Joey and Jakob were seen gaping at their mother. She laughed and ruffled Joey's hair.

"You're gonna have a brother or sister kiddo."