Pizza and Wine

Chapter 9.

A couple of days had passed, and Mike decided that he would go see Jamie. He knew that her and Frank had broken up, and he wanted to wait a little while before asking her out.

He walked down the hallway to Gerard, Mikey and Jamie's room, and knocked on the door.

After a couple of seconds, the door opened.

"Oh hi Mike," Jamie said, smiling a little bit.

"Hey. I was wondering if you wanted to come over to my house for supper tonight. We're stopping in Oakland. You know, just to get away from all this," Mike said.

"I'd like that, thank you," she smiled.

Later that day, he was back at home, trying to do something with his hair at least when the doorbell rang.

He checked one last time to make sure that everything was ready, and went to go answer the door. He couldn't help passing his reflection and once more reaching up to his hair, trying to flatten bits down, mumbling. He gave up and opened the door, Jamie standing with a smile on her face. He welcomed her inside and she followed Mike into the kitchen.

"Drop of wine for the lady?" he offered her a glass and she accepted it.

"Something smells nice," she smiled and Mike blushed a light shade of cherry tomato. Placing his hand on the small of her back, he led her into the living room and they sat together on a plush couch.

"You have a lovely home," she stated, looking around. There were a bunch of family photos on the walls. Pictures of his daughter Stella, when she was a baby until now.

"Thanks," he replied. He edged a little closer and put on some music, a quiet melody in the background. She smiled and shut her eyes for a few seconds, at peace. He smiled, taking in every feature, every movement, every detail. Her eyes flicked open sharply and she took a sip of wine, smiling at Mike. The 'ding' of the timer was heard and he put his glass down and rushed into the kitchen, laying out the food on the table. She walked in with both glasses and set them down.

"Take a seat," he extended his hand to usher her down and she slid into the seat neatly. He took out the wine again and topped up their glasses before sitting himself in front of her.

Mike didn't know what to talk about. He didn't want to start talking about Frank, 'cause he didn't want to seem like an asshole.

They sat there in silence for a moment until Jamie started to speak.

"Thanks for inviting me here tonight, Mike. It's nice to get away from it all, y'know." He nodded, he knew the stresses of breaking up and being in the limelight during it.

"You're welcome to stay for as long as you like," he smiled, sipping some more wine. They ate, talking again now and then about randomised things, such as music, or childhood.

A couple of hours later they were sat on the couch again, laughing at a joke Mike had just told. Jamie slapped his chest lightly, laughing and he caught it in his. Neither seemed to want to let go but eventually Jamie broke the chain and let her hand fall limply to her side. Mike was still looking at her before he leaned over and kissed her. She pushed him away and broke the kiss to whisper to him.

"Don't Mike. You're drunk."

"I'm not," he replied, shaking his head. "I'm not, I swear to you Jamie, on my own life. I've wanted to do that for so long.. and it felt so right.. it felt so good. Jamie, please, listen to me. I like you, I have since I first laid eyes on you." He hovered over her, waiting. She rolled her eyes.

"Well what are you waiting for?"

"What?"

"Oh Mike. Shut up and kiss me," she smirked.