Status: On hiatus until I finish "So before I end my day, remember".

Sacred and Profane

Chapter 1

His POV:

Let’s rewind to the beginning, to that hot August Summer night, when you were walking alone on the beach; you looked deep in thoughts and so lost...

I was observing you from far hiding in the shadows, and truth be told, waiting for a moment to attack and feed from the crimson liquid that is so vital for the prey and it's predator.

Every time you walked, every time you moved I followed through my vision and olfaction; it had been a week since I last fed and I was starting to get very hungry. To me you were an easy prey, there all alone in a deserted beach.

Of course I did not like to feed from humans, in fact I hated it, but the ambulance that I used to steal this so needed liquid from and that used to pass near where I live and carried it from the deposits to the hospitals changed the route 4 days ago so I had to feed from animals that passed by because I wasn't able to find another "dealer". It wasn’t enough so I had to feed from a human before I could find another place from where I can steal human blood.

It is a curse.

I was preparing myself to finally attack you when out of nowhere a weird ray of moonlight illuminated your eyes.

What I saw made me stop immediately, I stood still and quiet protected by the shadows from the walls and palm trees around me, -I’m sure I will never forget that moment- from the place that I was hiding I could see your eyes, and they were breath taking. They were the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen, brown mixed with yellow and soft golden around like a more greenish hazel tainted with golden leafs… but what I saw in them was what amazed me the most: They were filled with pure sadness and innocence.

To today I still question myself on how someone so beautiful could look so sad?
At that moment I actually felt something, I wasn’t numb, I felt emotions that were taken from me brusquely so, so long ago.

Right there I understood what the monster that did this to me meant when after I was transformed he said: “You sure are something special dear boy, I have never seen any infected like you, unique, very fragile but strong and tough, very strong indeed, with all that rage and revolt running through you body. Just be patient and wait dear boy. I have the feeling I didn’t transformed you for nothing; something important is on its way. Just wait and see”. I wasn’t there randomly; I wasn’t transformed into this sickening creature that I am for nothing. There was something else. In just having a glance of your eyes I understood that you were that “something else”, the one that I was waiting for all of these years, we were destined to meet each other.

Even if at that moment you were a complete stranger to me, I felt something very strong towards you, but I didn’t want to get close to you and end up taking your innocence away, I couldn’t be the one or let anyone to set your soul on fire.

I wanted to protect you from everything, including myself.
The ray of moonlight extinguished and your beautiful eyes were hidden again. My numbness returned.

The sun was starting to rise, so I had to go back to my resting place before it started to shine. On my way home I was hoping you would be at that beach again at night.

I needed to see your eyes. I needed to feel all of that again.

I needed you.

Her POV:

Let’s rewind to the beginning, to that hot August Summer night, when I was walking alone in the beach, deep in thoughts and feeling lost…

I knew that there wasn’t anyone at that beach besides me, but I had the strange feeling that someone was observing me from far, hiding in the shadows, silently waiting, like if it was waiting for a moment to attack.

Strangely, I felt safe.

I ignored those sensations and continued walking along the wet sand, wetting my feet on the waves that came to the coast, lost in my thoughts about nothing and everything and humming to some song that got stuck in my head when suddenly it seemed like the sky cleared up and a weird ray of moonlight illuminated me and my way like a holophote. But something caught my attention and distracted me from the weird moon. I heard a noise and it was coming from the shadows. First I heard a gasp and then a really low and soft whisper.
It sounded like a lament, like if you saw something that you liked but couldn’t have.

That confirmed my suspicions about something hiding in the shadows.
I don’t know why but at that moment, I felt very secure, and the moonlight gave a new hope. It was a sign.

I’m sure it was a sign.

My sign… that desert beach, the weird moonlight, and the shadows.

I knew that I wasn’t here for nothing, maybe I was meant to wait until this day to feel safe and hope again.

I had a feeling that I should see what was hiding in the shadows but I couldn’t get myself to move an inch because I was so overwhelmed about the epiphany that came into my mind.

The whispering that came from the shadows was long quiet but I still felt a presence there, but when the ray of moonlight disappeared and the sun started to rise I felt abandoned and my new found hope wasn’t gone but it was weak.

Unfortunately I had to go back home and face harsh reality; but I also knew that after everyone went to bed, in the middle of the night, I was going to that beach again.

I need to feel secure.

I need to feel hope.

I needed to see what was hiding in the shadows.