Status: Moving along...Kind of slow.

We Don't Have to be a Tragedy

Act I, Scene II

My Dad just grinned as I laughed. Romeo, right beside me, glanced at me with a slight grin and a twinkle in his eye.

“But soft, what light through yonder window breaks?
‘Tis the East, and Juliet is the sun!” He cried playfully.

I broke off my giggles for a moment.

“Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou, Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name!” I gasped, laughing.

The whole class was laughing along with us. Dad was trying very, very hard to conceal his own laughter. I couldn’t stop laughing, I was so nervously excited. This is a wonderful way to begin the first day, I thought, sitting right beside some random guy who’s name happens to be Romeo when yours is Juliet!

“All right, all right,” My Dad called over the class, grinning. “Can I finish my role call, Romeo and Juliet?”

“S-sorry, Professor Capula,” Romeo laughed.

“Yeah. Sorry,” I coughed and sat straighter in an effort to keep a straight face.

It didn’t work.

Finally, after about five minutes, the laughter subsided enough for Dad to finish role call.

“All right, let’s just get to know each other to start.” Dad said, stepping from behind his desk. “Hello, I’m your advanced English professor, John Capula. I’m in a family of four, with a 24 year old son who graduated from a technical college last year, my wife, Amy, who teaches the drama class here, and my other child, Juliet Capula, who is a freshman at Johnson’s College of the Arts and sits beside Romeo Davis in this class. Let’s have Hanna go next, shall we?”

“Hanna Anderson, freshman. I’m in a family of six, including myself, my parents, my 12 year old little brother named Joey, a twin sister named Lindsay, and a 23 year old sister named Katie. I’m majoring in Literature.” The girl with the chocolate hair at the front of the room flashed a winning smile.

“Good, good.” Dad wrote on the chalkboard (in blue chalk?) :

Advanced English, Block A:

Hanna---Family of 6, Literature


“Now, let’s go with Mr. Appleworth.”

“Harold Appleworth, sophomore. It’s just me and Dad at home. I’m at school to be a teacher.” Harold kind of rattled it off as quick as he could, it seemed to me as he brushed his blond hair from his eyes.

Advanced English, Block A:

Hanna---Family of 6, Literature

Harold---Family of 2, Teacher


“Very good! Let’s have James Bernard tell us a bit about himself, if he would.”

“James Bernard, duh,” The dark haired guy laughed, “freshman. I live with my parents and my grandma. I have a dog named Perry and my major is music, with a minor English.”

Advanced English, Block A:

Hanna---Family of 6, Literature

Harold---Family of 2, Teacher

James---Family of 4, Music/English


“Joseph?”

“Joseph Brunner,” he said boredly, his chin on his hand. He gazed out the window with his black hair falling in his face. “I prefer to be called Joe, though. I’ve got my Mom and a little sister named Gabrielle. Major in music, mostly guitar.”

Advanced English, Block A:

Hanna---Family of 6, Literature

Harold---Family of 2, Teacher

James---Family of 4, Music/English

Joe---Family of 3, Guitar


“Alright, Juliet, it’s your turn.”

“Sure thing, Dad.” I pulled my hair behind my ears. “Juliet Capula, family of four including my parents and brother. I prefer to be called Jules, quite frankly, since I like to think I’m not going to have a tragic love life. I’m majoring in…um…what am I majoring in?” I laughed slightly. “I suppose mine would be just the opposite of James, major in English, minor in music.”

Advanced English, Block A:

Hanna---Family of 6, Literature

Harold---Family of 2, Teacher

James---Family of 4, Music/English

Joe---Family of 3, Guitar

Jules---Family of 4, English/Music


“Now we have a visit from our classroom Romeo,” Dad kind of joked. Most of the class kind of laughed.

“Romeo Davis,” he began, his (gorgeous) green eyes twinkling. “Everyone calls me Monty, short for Montague-” everyone laughed here and he paused, grinning. “Short for Montague, like I said. I’m a family of five, with my parents, my seventeen year old brother Henry and my fourteen year old sister Viola-” This time he had to stop for me bursting into laughter and Dad’s chuckles.

“I’m sorry, Monty, carry on.”

“Major in Drama, plays and stuff, then a few art classes on the side.”

“Then how’d you end up in here?” James cried, grinning.

“Because I want to be in here? Maybe I like English,” Monty joked.

You know what, switching from Romeo to Monty is confusing for me, so in my little head I’ll still call him Romeo.

Advanced English, Block A:

Hanna---Family of 6, Literature

Harold---Family of 2, Teacher

James---Family of 4, Music/English

Joe---Family of 3, Guitar

Jules---Family of 4, English/Music

Monty---Family of 5, Drama/Art/English


A few people laughed when Dad put that up.

After that, though, I zoned out until Dad caught my attention.

“Now, everyone, look up at the list. This is a little background of all your classmates, and what they are aspiring to be. I’m going to assign you partners, and you and your partner will write a three page essay on each other.”

Advanced English, Block A:

Hanna---Family of 6, Literature

Harold---Family of 2, Teacher

James---Family of 4, Music/English

Joe---Family of 3, Guitar

Jules---Family of 4, English/Music

Monty---Family of 5, Drama/Art/English

Daniel---Lives alone, Music

Maci---Family of 12, Classic Literature

Isaac---Family of 3, Piano/Mythology

Zoe---Family of 6, English/Teacher

Olivia---Family of 2, Art

Liam---Lives alone, Drama

Ali---Family of 4, Music/Art

Tyler---Family of 7, Violin


“This block is a small class, so you’ll just be pairs of two. That’s lucky. All my other classes have over thirty people and we’ve just got fourteen! Let’s just go ahead and go in alphabetical order, too, since it’s up there. Hanna and Harold, James and Joe, Jules and Monty-” Romeo! I thought to myself. “-Daniel and Maci, Isaac and Zoe, Olivia and Liam, and Ali and Tyler. You have this last hour to talk and learn more about each other. Move the desks, do whatever you need to, as long as everything’s in order when you leave.”

Romeo---Monty, I mean, stood and pulled his chair to my desk. He put his chair at the front and sat down, and I knew our legs weren’t very far apart.

“Okay, so, tell me more about yourself, Miss Capula,” he said smoothly.

“Well…”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Two...second one in just as many days!!! I'm so proud. Anyway...I hope you like it. These are kind of boring right now, I know. It should get better soon. Anyway, tell me what you think.