Status: Moving along...Kind of slow.

We Don't Have to be a Tragedy

Act III, Scene VII

Juliet’s Point of View

I was sitting on my bed, staring at my ceiling, and fingering the gift that Romeo had given me on Christmas. Afterwards, Cathy had gushed about how she’d seen it and just knew it would fit me perfectly, and said that Romeo had gotten a faraway look in his eyes and agreed almost immediately. I can’t help but think now that I never want to take this necklace off. The small, delicate silver heart with the shape of a rose engraved in the center. The small, delicate silver heart with the words I Love You engraved on the back for only the wearer and the giver to know…

And the matching earrings - smaller silver hearts with the engraved rose, but not the words.

“I love you too,” I sighed, looking at the necklace with a stupid grin on my face. I reached for my phone with the thought of texting Romeo, but before I could it started ringing.

’Cause it’s you, and me
And all other people with nothi--


“Hello?” I answered quickly. You and Me by Lifehouse was the ringtone I’d set for - you guessed it - Romeo.

“Hey,” his voice, suave as ever, greeted my ears. “What’s up?”

“Nothing much. Listening to some music and staring at the ceiling.” this much was entirely true. Or had been, before I’d started thinking about the necklace. And earrings.

“Sounds…interesting…”

“You mean boring.”

“…Kind of, yeah.”

We both laughed a little, and then I asked him, “How about you? You doing anything…interesting?”

“Ah, just hanging out with Todd. I thought you’d be hanging with Taylor.”

“Oh, I was. We’re in my hometown for a bit right now, actually, so she went to her parent’s house to visit the family. She sent me a text about a half hour ago, saying that she’d be back over at my house in about an hour - so that’s about thirty minutes from now, I guess - and then we’ll be heading back.” I laughed a little. “So how’s hanging with Todd?”

“Same old, same old. He just had an interesting idea, though…”

“Uh-oh. Do I need to call the fire department?” I teased.

“Nah. Actually, we were curious enough to see if you and Taylor wanted to come hang with us and some of our old gang tonight at Whitney’s.”

“Really? I’m in. D’you want me to text Taylor? I can do it while on the phone, if you want me to.”

“Go ahead. I’ll be patient.”

“Mmmkay. Just a sec,” I said, and I texted Taylor with a ‘Hey, wanna hang with Todd and Romeo tonight @ the restaurant I told u about?’

“Sent.” I said a few moments later. “Is there any particular reason?”

“It’s a surprise.” I could literally hear the grin in his voice and I heard Todd chuckle in the background.

“Gee, maybe I should call the fire department,” I remarked sarcastically. He laughed, and then my phone made a little jingle. “Hang on, I just got Taylor’s reply.”

Heck yes, girl! See u in 5, btw. Mom’s got somthin 2 do.

I texted her back, and said to Romeo, “Back.”

“And…?”

“What if I said ‘it’s a surprise’?” I teased.

“Then I say, ‘it’s a yes, isn’t it?’, and we get on with it,” he teased right back. We laughed.

“Alright, yes. She said yes. And her Mom has somewhere to be, so she’s gonna be back over here in about five minutes.” I said, still grinning. “And what time did you want us to be at Whitney’s?”

“Ah, just call when you get back and we’ll come get you.”

“Alright.”

“Give yourselves time to dress up just a little, though,” Romeo said, kind of an afterthought. “Whitney’s is packed on the 26th of every month. Especially December, so we need to get you and get out there, ‘cause we know ol’ Trish and John are gonna be late. They always are.”

“Right!” Todd’s voice came from the background. I giggled a little.

“So, yeah. Just something nice. Doesn’t have to be formal, but something you’d wear to…um…”

“A date?” I suggested. It was his turn to chuckle.

“Yeah. That describes it better than I could’ve! Well, I gotta go. I’ll see you tonight?”

“Of course. And I have to go too, I see Taylor walking up the street.”

“Alright.”

“Yeah.”

There was kind of an awkward pause before, “Juliet?”

“Yeah?”

“I love you.”

I felt my heart quicken its pace. “I love you, too.”

“G’bye.” he said, kind of sounding relieved. “I’ll talk to you soon?”

“Count on it,” I said grinningly. “Ciao!”

“Julieeeeet!” I heard as Taylor opened the door. “Are you ready?”

“Coming!”

I bounded down the steps, a suitcase of extra clothes I’d packed before Romeo’s call in my hand. And, I realized happily, I’d thrown my best casual date attire in.

“Let’s go!” I said happily, and Taylor and I got in my Mom’s car that had been lent to me for the day.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for EMObarbie22, simply because she asked me to update last week and it felt good to know someone out there still cares enough about this story to keep reading it!

Thanks if you're still reading this, and please comment so I know you're there!

<333 Amanda