Status: Moving along...Kind of slow.

We Don't Have to be a Tragedy

Act IV, Scene VI

Juliet’s Point of View

During the course of karaoke night, I didn’t get up there and sing again until Sam decided that I would be the closing act once more, like almost every time we’d come to Whitney’s since that first time, after last Christmas.

“What do you want me to sing?” I asked the group as I stood from the table, pushing a few loose strands of hair behind my ear as I looked first at Taylor, then the others.

“How about some Taylor Swift?” Maria suggested, walking up to refill our glasses and surprising me. “I’m pretty sure you know what one I mean, and it’s been a while since you sang it for us. ¿Por favor? For me?”

I sighed. It was hard to resist that flawless, pleading Spanish accent. “Sure thing.”

“¡Gracias!”

I made my way up to the stage and told Sam, smiling at the grinning man, “Love Story, by Taylor Swift.”

He announced the song and I closed my eyes as the music started.

Todd’s Point of View

I got out my phone as she reached the stage. I knew Romeo would want to see his own personal Juliet singing the song we knew she would sing at Maria’s request. Maria, for her part, had convinced Juliet with a spectacular display of the widened, pleading eyes. The Spanish-speaking waitress, and also Ry’s girlfriend (since he’d finally taken the advice and hints of the group of us), nodded to me and headed off to make another round of the tables.

I hit the record button just as Sam’s voice said, “And Whitney’s very own Juliet is going to close up tonight’s karaoke with Love Story by Taylor Swift. Give it up!”

There were cheers from what I like to call her adoring fans, and most especially Taylor. For a moment, I just started at Taylor, even as my phone was directed at her best friend. Perhaps it wasn’t the best time to realize that my feelings for Juliet’s best friend went a bit farther than I had originally thought, so I turned my full attention on holding my phone steady and capturing Juliet’s absolutely amazing performance.

Taylor’s Point of View

I noticed Todd with his phone out and aiming for Juliet, and I realized his idea must have been similar to my earlier idea, with the small clip I sent to Romeo. I was hit with a sudden, strong appreciation of my girl’s boyfriend’s best friend, and was forced to drag myself from those thoughts by turning my attention to Jules.

I always admired how she sang her heart out each and every time she sang songs like this one. Songs that had an especially strong meaning for her always helped her connect with her audience, and that’s probably why Whitney’s had been becoming a bit more packed on karaoke nights on the last four occasions. I was proud of her, that’s to be sure. She’s my best friend, and she’s going somewhere with a voice like that - there’s no doubt in my mind! - but she needs to realize that for herself, and realize that a few months away from her Romeo won’t kill her.

“He’ll be back soon, hun,” I said softly to myself. As Juliet ended and took her bows, I saw Todd pressing the ‘send’ button on his phone and a few seconds later, receiving the ‘Message Sent to Romeo’ notification. He noticed me looking and grinned kind of sheepishly, and as everyone stood to applaud my best friend, I hugged him and said, “He’ll like that, won’t he?”

Todd gave me a one-armed hug in return and said, “He loves everything about her.”

Romeo’s Point of View

I’d been once more contemplating the state of my peeling ceiling when my phone chimed again with the 6 Months tone. I reached for it, and found a text from Todd with a video clip.

Lo and behold, when I hit play, it was Juliet up there on state where she belonged, singing her heart out to Love Story by Taylor Swift. Even if it was a Taylor Swift song, it was one of my favorites to hear my girlfriend sing. I watched the video, low-quality as it were, and listened to her voice. Distorted by the video quality and the chatter in the room, yes, but that didn’t make it any less amazing.

Again, I sent a text that said thank you, but this time to my best friend. He’d know it meant more to me than just those simple words could portray.

Juliet’s Point of View

I smiled and talked with the few people who came up to congratulate me as I made my way back to the table. There, the gang and I, minus Romeo, of course, talked a little more and had a quick slice of pie for desert - pecan pie for me - before making our way back to where we were staying. Todd was spending the night at his house, and Taylor was going to come back to my dorm with me. They were going to head back in the morning, hoping to get back for afternoon classes.

When we got back to my dorm, Taylor crashed and I called Romeo after texting to make sure he was still awake.

Just hearing the sound of his voice was so relaxing. We could only talk for about thirty minutes before he chuckled and said, “You’re getting tired. I’ll call you on my lunch break tomorrow, okay?”

“Okay,” I sighed. We said goodbye and I rolled over and fell asleep. Little did I know that Romeo did the exact same thing at that moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's been almost five months!! I feel horrible. I just got to updating OTHER stories that I'd left for about three months and thought this was one of them, but I haven't updated it since like, DECEMBER 16th, 2010!!! And now it's May 14th!! I am soooooo sorry.

I'll try to get two or three more updates out this weekend and throughout the week. I'll aim to finish it by this July, okay? In order to do that, the chapter length might vary some, but I'll try.

If you're still reading, thank you! And please forgive me?

I'll let you rip me a new one on my comment page if you feel I've somehow betrayed you by leaving you hanging so long. I'm so sorry!

Begging your forgiveness until next time,

<333 Amanda