Status: Moving along...Kind of slow.

We Don't Have to be a Tragedy

Act I, Scene VIII

Still Romeo

“Thanks, I guess,” Juliet finally managed, a dusting of pink still on her cheeks.

“You’re welcome,” I threw back, as nonchalantly as I could manage. After all, she was still blushing and I felt an almost guilty pleasure at being the one to make her blush.

And to be the only one close enough to see how cute she was when she blushed like that. I couldn’t help but keep sneaking peeks from the corners of my eyes as we walked towards my Dad’s class.

“So…your Dad teaches the history of plays and stuff like that?” she asked me timidly.

“Oh, yeah. Practically the whole first semester is Shakespeare.”

“That sounds just like my Dad!” her laugh made me tingle from head to toe.

“Really?”

“Yeah. And I think a major part of Mom’s class is Shakespearean dramas.”

“My Mom loves the Shakespearean costume designs,” I laughed and she did, too.

“No wonder we’ve got names from some of Shakespeare’s plays,” she laughed, “we’ve got obsessive Shakespeare fans for parents!”

“I suppose we do.” I grinned.

“I know we do.” she stated matter-of-factly.

“Okay, then, we do.”

At this, she met my eyes and we both laughed. We still had several minutes to spare, so we just kind of wandered a bit before heading for Dad’s class. I felt like I already knew her as well as if I’d known her for years and years. She was literally the girl of my dreams, funny, smart, and quite down-to-earth and modest. And kind of shy.

I keep telling myself all the wonderful things about her, but I just can’t say them to her. She’d think it was weird---I’ve known the girl-woman?-for not even a full day and she seems to be the only person I ever want to be near again.

What am I saying?

She’d never fall for a guy like me. Especially since Shakespeare thought Romeo and Juliet were perfect for each other.

Juliet’s Point of View

Romeo walked silently beside me, and I wondered what was on his mind. He looked deep in thought, and I didn’t really want to disturb his thoughts, but I did anyway.

“Oh, dear. I believe Romeo’s gone mute.”

“Wha---oh, sorry. Just thinking.”

“I noticed.” I shook my head, laughing at the look on his face. Almost like a poor lost puppy, with his beautiful, startling green eyes. “We’re here.”

Unfortunately…I added silently in my head.

I’d prefer to spend more time just getting to know him, but I guess this is just how college works. Classes, classes, more classes, and the painful twinges that remind a freshman student that her teenage hormones are still active and the handsome boy that steals her heart. Well, he didn’t actually still it…I believe I would quite willingly give it if it were ever asked for.

We were still early to Professor Davis’ class, even with all the goofing off and talking we did on the way. Too bad for me, I couldn’t think of one thing to say that didn’t sound like a lame attempt to break the silence, or get him to talk again. So I decided I’d wait out the silence if I must, choosing to lean against the wall and wait for the Professor’s current class to leave so I could go take a window seat in the back.

“You know, Romeo and Juliet was always my favorite, too,” Romeo said suddenly, then seeing my puzzled expression, continued, “I know your Mom said it was yours since you were little. It’s always been mine, too.”

“Really? That’s…kind of funny,” I said, grinning. He grinned (that adorable half-grin of his) and agreed.

“Of course, Romeo’s more of a drama queen than I’d like to think I am…”

I laughed, and replied, “I think he’s a much bigger drama queen than you.”

“Thanks….”

“Yeah, you’re just a drama king,” I said, and winked, giggling.

“Oh, gee, now I really have to thank you,” he said sarcastically, his cute grin still in place.

“Yup. You’re very welcome, sir.”

Somehow, even though we hardly knew each other, neither of us ever took offense at the other’s playful jibes, and I felt a little twinge of hope.

If you’ve already forgotten, I’m still just an eighteen year old, and an utterly hopeless, hopeless romantic, if that makes sense. It would just be so awesome if he felt the same…I mean, when has there really been a couple that were truly Romeo and Juliet in the Shakespearean context? If Juliet’s Romeo was as handsome as this one in his own way, and as kind and funny and interesting, I would’ve traded places with her in a heartbeat.

Ack! What am I doing it again for?!

You just met him, Juliet. Just met him today. And he’s already taken over my thoughts, and very nearly the actions I make. Even just hearing him laugh makes me so warm inside, and if it takes me by surprise it sends a shock through my body and I kind of shudder.

I know what I think it is, but I wonder if I can really find happiness with him.

Even if we are Romeo and Juliet…would we be a tragedy?
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if it's a little of a filler, kind of like the last one, and sorry if it seems rushed...because it literally just came from my fingertips in the last thirty minutes.

Thanks to my 36 readers and 14 subscribers, very thankful to you guys for keeping me going!

And you, Megz, even though you probably won't get to read this until late this evening (it's 12:03 a.m....)

<333 Amanda