Status: Moving along...Kind of slow.

We Don't Have to be a Tragedy

Act I, Scene IX

For Professor Davis’ class, he assigned us partners, and guess who I was partnered with again?

Monsieur Romeo Davis, that’s who.

And our assignment was to have a scene of any play worked out by Friday. He also dropped in (without so many words) that he thought it would be quite riveting and appropriate if his son and I were to do the play of our namesakes. And that’s how Romeo and I decided upon a scene that involved Romeo and Juliet.

It didn’t help us that we both kept cracking up because we technically were Romeo and Juliet.

But because of that, the class ended fairly quickly. It was 4:30 when we walked out of the doors. I stretched and sighed contentedly.

“One day down, more than a hundred to go,” I yawned. I hadn’t noticed Romeo walking beside me until he laughed.

“I guess you’re right,” he grinned at me. “And you can’t expect the rest of the year to be as easy today, unfortunately.”

It was my turn to laugh at this. “You’re right,” I agreed.

“Well, I’ll see you at seven?” he asked, adjusting his bag on his shoulder. “For the assignment from your dad?”

“Oh, yeah! I almost forgot,” I pretended to bonk myself on the head. “Glad you remembered, or our assignment would never get done!”

He laughed and waved. I waved back and he started to walk away.

How in the world can a person be so smitten after just a day in someone’s company? So totally smitten that they’re hard-pressed to keep from staring at the back of said person’s head as they walk away? Dang, Juliet, you’ve got it good.

Romeo’s Point of View

I really didn’t want to walk away, but Mom wanted me to help her out. I waved and Juliet waved back, and then and only then, did I turn and walk away. I realized then that I never had any intention of letting the name Jules stick in my head, even though that’s what she preferred to be called, because I already knew her as Juliet.

My life is just so confusing. I guess I just have to go with the flow, and let what’s gonna happen, happen. I push open Mom’s classroom door.

“Hey, Mom, I’m here,” I said, and then I noticed that there were three other people in the classroom.

“Oh, hello, Romeo!” Juliet’s dad greeted me jovially. “How was the day?”

“It was good,” I replied, doing very well to hide my surprise at seeing the Capulas and both of my parents in the same room.

“That’s wonderful!” Juliet’s mom beamed at me.

“Romeo, dear, can you go put the costume racks back in the dressing rooms? Thanks so much.”

“Sure thing, Mom,” I said, dropping my bag by a desk and starting my allotted task.

Juliet’s Point of View

I sat acting like a total dork for an hour and a half after reaching my dorm, playing Final Fantasy XII on my PlayStation 2. What can I say? I’m a nut for RPG’s. Absolutely gaga over them, to tell the truth…after all, I played Final Fantasy X for fourteen hours straight once*, just pausing to go to the bathroom and get food. Then I decided I wanted a shower, and afterwards just threw on a t-shirt and some knee-length jean shorts. It was casual, comfortable, and not something you would wear on a date, so it would prove I hadn’t showered just because I was going to a café with Romeo.

Right?

That’s what it seemed to me, anyway. I glanced at the clock once I was done showering, and nearly choked on my drink of Voltage (I still hadn’t finished it).

It was 6:30! Already!

I grabbed my bag, threw what I’d need into it, and threw my hair in a messy ponytail. I made sure I had my key and I left my dorm, at a leisurely pace. Walking fast, I’d probably get there in ten minutes, and that was just a waste! So, instead, I opted for walking slowly and taking the long route, which I gauged would get me there in about 20 minutes, give or take a few.

Okay, so even if it wasn’t a date, I was going to treat it like one. I mean, hello! You never know how a guy is going to take asking a girl on a study date! Maybe he’s really going to think it’s a date, or maybe he’ll just think it’s nothing, just studying.

Of course, men are easier to understand than women, in popular belief.

But were they really?!

I’m just reading too far into things, I guess. But I’ll work with it, whatever it is…by humming!

Whoa, humming?

Okay, if that works, I’ll try it.

I started humming some songs from the movie Anastasia. Don’t judge me on the cartoon movies I watch---and don’t make fun of them, either! Some of my very favorite movies are cartoon movies, right up with the Harry Potters and such. Okay, so I’m a little bit of a geek, who cares? And besides, Anastasia is like, one of the best animated movies ever.

Okay, so what if I like animated movies?!

Snap out of it, Jules, I thought to myself. And my nickname seemed really, really weird now, as I’d been thinking of myself as a Juliet all day. I giggled when I thought of Monty, and how I never thought of him as a Monty, but as a Romeo. Wow, that’s so weird. We both have nicknames, because we didn’t really want to be called Romeo and Juliet, but Romeo and Juliet was both my favorite Shakespearean play and his.

My mind was whirling and I tried to shake my thoughts off by glancing at my watch.

“Oh, crap!” I cried, breaking into a run.

I was six minutes late.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, it's filler-ish again. I'm just trying to progress the story some...hope it satisfies xP

And, about the *: I really have played Final Fantasy X for fourteen hours straight before...only pausing to go to the bathroom and eat. I'm a total dorkus...xP

Anyway, thanks for reading, and ciao!

<333 Amanda