Living Dead Girls

How Embarrassed Can You Get?

I awoke later in the nurse's office, laying on the uncomfortable cot. I heard someone speaking in a low voice and opened my eyes. "What's going on?" I asked, sitting up slowly.

"Woah, hold on there little Spartan." I heard the nurse say, laying me back down. "You're probably woosy. You need to rest."

I looked at him and scowled. "Terry, I'm fine. How many times have I been in here for this?" I questioned, sitting up again.

He sighed and leaned back in his chair. I knew this look, it was time for the for-your-own-health speech. "V... I've told your parents before, if you don't get this under control it could really hurt you." He paused to let that sink in.

I was barely paying attention because my imaginary friend was sitting on a chair near the door. "What are you doing here?" I asked him.

He said nothing, he just sat there looking forlorn.

"Vicky... Who are you talking to?" Terry asked, looking over at the chair.

"The new kid. You see him don't you?" I asked, feeling slightly panicked.

He looked at me like I had gone insane, and I couldn't blame him, I probably was insane. I've only been seeing this one boy and a bunch of other people since I was born. "I don't see anyone, Vicky." He told me warily. "I should call your parents to take you to the hospital to get you checked. I've never heard of panic attacks being followed by hallucinations." He picked up the phone.

I jumped up and unplugged the phone line. "No! I'm fine, Terry. Let me go back to class. I was just kidding about the boy. I thought it'd be funny." I lied easily.

He gave me a look and put the phone back on the base. "Are you sure he isn't a ghost of yours?" he asked snidely and my heart sank.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I told him, hurt by his tone. He was starting to think I was a freak too. "I'm going back to class." I muttered, grabbing my release slip and headed back to class.

"Are you alright, Miss Parish?" Mr Jones asked once I'd walked in.

I nodded. "I just had a panic attack is all." I told him, walking back to my empty table and ignored the whispers from my classmates.

"Yes, Miss Newton?" Mr. Jones asked, and I looked up to see what she wanted.

"Are you sure one of her ghosts didn't possess her, Mr. Jones?" she asked, grinning evilly at me from next to my imaginary friend. "They could be trying to kill us through her. She should be committed."

Mr. Jones frowned when the rest of the class started laughing. "Amanda, I think that detention after school will do you good." He told her.

I ignored the sting of tears in my eyes and flipped to my notes, seeing that someone had scrawled all over them with a permenant marker. There was a ghost and the words "Go become a ghost, freak." I ripped the page out and started copying them as best as I could onto a new page.

I put my things away when the bell rang and threw the ruined page into the trash, missing the bucket. I groaned a little and bent to pick it up, but someone else had gotten to it first.

"That's rude." He said, his voice more beautiful than I ever imagined it. "You don't actually see ghosts." He stated.

I grabbed the page and threw it away successfully, walking away from him. "It doesn't matter if I do or not. I'm already a freak here. It doesn't matter. Leave me alone." I told him, ducking into my second period class, holding back from crying. I walked to my desk and copied the notes from the board. When I was through, I took my Agatha novel from my bag, only to see more graffiti on the cover and all the pages along with 'freak' and 'ghost freak' covering up the words.

I threw the book on the floor and rested my head on my arms, hating the school year already.