Living Dead Girls

Changing lives already.

"You bitch!" Amanda screamed. I hadn't factored in that the girl from earlier may jump in and ruin everything. "You did this, you... freak! Go back to your vampires in Russia or wherever the hell you're from and leave us alone!"

I shook my head subtly. "None of that's me, Edward." I could feel him watching me more than see it. "I stopped right when the girl came up."

So all this conversation and the ice was all on those two. Nothing going on in either of their brains was something I put there. Especially the one-sided fight. I was not stupid enough to do that.

My chair skidded backwards across the tiles but instead of going in the direction of the fight Zachary pulled me in the direction of the door leading outside. The rest of my family minus Edward followed. To anyone actually looking it would appear as though we weren't interested with the scene anymore. Not that anyone was even paying attention. They were all too busy watching Edward who was getting closer to pull the occasion ruining child off the other.

My entire body tense when Edward joined us outside. Why was he stupid enough to do that? Did he want someone else to die so we had to leave? Maybe that was his goal. Have Elizabeth kill someone so we don't have to live in Forks anymore and he wouldn't have to suffer.

He eyed me at the thought; I lifted one shoulder elegantly in a half shrug. Anything looks elegant when you are a vampire. It's one of the perks.

"Elizabeth, take care of that. They don't need to know who did that to the girl."

Both Rosalie and I frowned. I nearly asked why I should do that. It wasn't my idea. It was the girl's to jump on Amanda Newton like a raging bull. She would have known the consequences for getting into a fight. Why should I have to clean up her mess? He would not escape that 'why' question. I would ask him later and I would get an answer. Even if I needed force. Edward may be faster and able to read minds, but it would not help any if I chose to.. fight him.

Sighing I turned to face the glass window, looking into the lunchroom. Okay. Fine. But she needs to leave before I eat her. The blood on her hands was getting more and more tempting as the seconds ticked past. That and just because I was annoyed with her at the moment.

Turning my full attention to the students -- I had to make sure I got every one of them who had possibly witnessed the event -- I started to change their thoughts from seeing Vicious, who should really get a name change or something, at all to seeing the best friend hitting Amanda.

Apparently the brunette did not take kindly to being called an idiot and was sick of being walked all over. The fist that she decided to throw could hardly be considered a real punch but was enough to get Amanda's blood on her hand. That was necessary. Nothing would be believable if there was no blood on her at all.

"I think that's everything," I mumbled, golden eyes roaming back and forth as people pulled the girls apart.

So I was trying to repent and succeeded in getting three people into a fight -- granted they were two separate fights and one was slightly fake, but a fight all the same -- altered an entire room of minds about that fight, and demolished a friendship.

First day of school and I was changing lives already.

-----

"Are you alright?" Edward asked her for the second time.

I rolled my eyes. Her table was right in front of ours and she was in the chair. Alive. Meaning that she was fine. All that happened to her were some cuts and bruises which were fixed up with antiseptics and bandages. Quick and easy.

"Peachy," she replied, not taking her eyes away from the bandages.

"She's going to faint again," Alice said, watching her from the table behind us.

"No, she won't. Just give her a moment."

"She's too much trouble," I decided, putting my chair back on all four legs rather than leaning back on two. "I say we make her forget all of this." Why we hadn't already, I wasn't sure. "She is slightly more vicious than I gave her credit for, though." Only slightly.

I eyed her as the room continued to fill with excited students still talking about the fight. I had no real desire to actually talk to her or be her friend or anything, but I wanted to know why I had felt compelled to help her. When Edward said to 'fix' the problem, I could have very easily refused. And I wanted to know why I didn't.

I'm not going to befriend her or take her home as a pet, I informed him when I felt the table's slight movement as he turned to look at me.

"Why do you care?" he asked quietly. Only Alice, Jasper, Zachary and I would have heard the question.

Facing him, I turned my head to the side. "Why do you?" He didn't answer and I hadn't really expected one. "I don't help just anyone, Edward. If you knew anything about me, I thought it would have been that."

He snorted softly.

"I will get to the bottom of this." Choosing the option of ignoring him for the better of keeping ourselves out of the 'spotlight', I just turned from him to lean forward slightly over the table.

"Hey. Girl."

She looked up from from her bandaged hands and around before turning in her seat to face me. "Yeah?" she asked warily, glancing momentarily at Edward.

I couldn't hold back the half smile. "How are you feeling?"

Narrowing her eyes slightly she said "It's very cruel to ask someone that and not mean it. And I don't need verbal abuse from the new kid, thanks."

I ground my teeth together but managed to keep myself still and in the seat. It was okay for Edward to ask but not anyone else?

Oh. Of course. He's beautiful or whatever.

If comments like that spewed from her trap every time she opened it then it was no wonder why she was friendless, regardless of her freak abnormality. Then fine. I wouldn't waste time and energy on being polite if she wasn't going to be. I didn't need any friends. I had my family and they were enough. Edward may have actually cared but I had my own agenda. Being polite and nice was simply because I wanted answers.

The corner of my mouth jerked up. "You don't know abuse." I was ten seconds away from telling her that she shouldn't mouth off to the new kid. Pushing both the abuse comments aside, I cocked my head to the right once more. "To put my own curiosity at ease, why are people calling you a freak and terrorizing you?"