Status: Completed.

Love Lies on a Gravestone.

Chapter 2.

Brian parked the car on the sidewalk and killed the engine. He gazed up at the dead house, yes that’s how it was. Dead. This house was fascinating him and he couldn’t explain the reason. He ran a hand though his hair and opened the door, curiosity getting the best of him. He locked the car and slowly made his way over to the front porch. He slowly walked up the few steps and stopped at the front door.

Should he really go inside?

He knew he shouldn’t, it wasn’t reasonable and people might see him. But he couldn’t help it, he wanted to see, he needed to see what was inside. His hand grabbed the handle and twisted it slowly. The door cracked open. He pushed it a little and made his way inside, and closed the door behind him. The hall in front of him hadn’t much damage, and the stairs were still usable. He made a mental note about that, and started to explore the hall. He walked further in, until he saw a door on the left. He opened it and saw what use to be the living room. The couches were upside down, the TV was broken on the floor, the pictures frame were scattered on the carpet. He walked out of the room and closed the door behind him. He went back to the front door and went to the kitchen.

Dirty dishes were left in the sink, the fridge door was half open, the chairs and table were thrown on a corner and Brian noticed empty beer cans underneath. He wasn’t the first one to come here… The inspection of those rooms should have been enough to satisfy his curiosity but no, he wanted to explore the rooms upstairs. He left the kitchen and headed towards the stairs. He hadn’t set a foot on the first step when he heard a door slam shut further down the hall and he jumped up, his hand over his chest and his hand gripping the hand-rail.

“fuck.” He muttered under his breath, his eyes shut, trying to steady his heart beats. Must be a draught he thought as his hand finally let go of the hand-rail. He looked at his hand and wasn’t surprised when he noted that it was black with dust and ashes. He wiped his hands on his jeans, leaving black stain on it. He looked at the disaster and shrugged, he would just have to put it in the laundry room and the problem will be solved.

He turned around and opened the front door. He walked down the driveway and to his car. He unlocked it and got inside. By the time he had put the key in the ignition, his heart beat had return to normal. He looked one last time at the house and was surprised to see a figure standing behind one of the window. His mouth, tightening his grasp on the wheel and shaking his head vigorously. He must be imagining things he thought as he started the engine and drove off.

If that door hadn’t slammed shut, he would have probably gone to explore upstairs. He would probably go back tomorrow, and the day after tomorrow, and the after that until he fully fulfilled his curiosity.

Looking at the clock on the dashboard, he pressed his foot on the pedal, he was going to be late for practise.

**

Brian didn’t sleep well that night. In his dreams, he was wandering around the burnt house and when he reached the last room upstairs, the doors was locked and he couldn’t unlock it. It was driving him crazy and he had the weird sensation that someone was expecting him to unlock the door. Somewhere deep inside, he knew someone needed him and he wanted to help that person, whoever it was…

He woke up, his forehead drenched with sweat. He sat up straight and looked at the glowing numbers of his alarm clock: 6.55.

He knew it was no use to go back to sleep and, for once, he would be in time for school. He threw the covers at the back of his bed and got up, stretching his arms above his head.

He took his time to shower and then proceed to find something to wear. It didn’t take long and soon he was ready. He looked around his room, rubbing his neck. He really needed to clean the mess… It was getting almost impossible to lay a foot on the floor without stepping on something. He sighed, grabbed his backpack and headed to the kitchen, decided to have a decent breakfast for once. He grabbed a bowl and poured some cereals in it along with milk. E grabbed a spoon and took a sit at the table.

“Brian? What are you doing here?” asked his father, rubbing his eyes and yawning.

“Eating breakfast?” he replied, rising an eyebrow.

“What happened to you? Normally you aren’t even awake at this time.” Asked his dad as he made himself some coffee.

“I woke up early that’s all.” Replied Brian Jr with a shrug as he finished eating and put his bowl in the sink. “I’m going now, there’s something I need to do.” He explained, as he walked past his father. “See ya!” he called out before closing the front door behind him and getting into his car.

He didn’t even try to see if the usual road was reopened, he drove straight to the house and stopped in the driveway. He killed the engine and ran a hand through his hair. He needed to go inside, he couldn’t wait any longer. He locked the car behind him and headed to the front door. He opened it and headed straight to the stairs. The steps were lightly cracking under him but he didn’t worry. He stopped once he reached the floor and looked at the corridor. It was exactly like in his dream. It took him a few seconds to gather his courage and walk straight to the door he couldn’t open in his dream. His palms were sweaty, I quickly wiped his hands on his jeans before he grabbed the handle. He took a deep breath and closed his eyes as he slowly twisted the handle, it clicked and the door cracked open. He could feel someone watching him, he spun around, hoping he could see who it was but there was nothing. Before he could turn back to the door, he heard it closed again.

He sighed in defeat and decided to drop it for the moment. He headed back downstairs and back to his car. As he started the engine, he could have sworn he saw someone at the front door. A girl.

He rubbed his face and drove off. He was really starting to question his sanity. He was obsessed with an abandoned house and now he was seeing things…

He walked over to his friends, trying to push all thoughts of the house to the back of his mind
♠ ♠ ♠
New chapter =)
Comments would be awesome ;-)

<3