Status: Completed.

Love Lies on a Gravestone.

Chapter 3.

Image

He didn’t pay much attention to what his friends were saying, he wanted to go back to this house, to explore it.

“Brian, are you even with us?” asked Matt, looking curiously at his best friends.

“Huh?”

“That’s what I thought…” said Zacky, chuckling.

“Is everything alright?” asked Valary, from her sit next to Matt.

“Yeah, yeah.” He said vaguely, looking over her shoulder and seeing what looked like the girl he had seen earlier. He got ready to get up but Jimmy waved his hand in front of his face, trying to catch Brian’s attention.

“Stop spacing out!”

“I’m not!” Brian argued.

“You have eaten your pizza!” argued Jimmy, nearly shoving the plate in Brian’s face.

“I’m not hungry.” He replied as he grabbed his bag from under his sit and got up. “I’ll talk to you later.” He said, as he hurried out of the cafeteria.

“Can I eat your pizza?” asked Jimmy, yelling in the cafeteria. Brian ignored him and hurried to his car. He threw his bag on the passenger sit and started the engine, driving straight back to the house.

He slammed his door shut, locked the car and ran to the house, and up the stairs, to the last room.

He opened the door, it cracked open and he kicked it with his foot so it would open wider. He held his fists up, ready to punch whatever was in there, but his arms quickly fell back to his side. The room was an old bedroom. He took a step forward so he could have a better look at his surrounding. The walls were painted in a light grey, the colour was faded. The bed was made, the papers on the desk where in a net pile. It almost looked like it was habited, except for the dust and ashes everywhere. There was a mirror hanging on the wall, next to the window. He first walk towards the window and looked outside. He could see his car and he realised that it was the window where he first saw the girl. Then he turned towards the mirror and noticed a picture wedged up in the corner of the frame.

His eyes lighten up in curiosity as he took the picture and blew on it, trying to blow the dust away. The picture wasn’t in the best condition but you could fully discern the girl on the picture.

He looked at her, his eyes glued on her face as realisation hit him. The girl he saw at the front door and in the cafeteria was the girl on the picture. He ran a hand through his hair, and put the picture back in its place before he gazed at his reflection and gasped when he saw a girl sitting on the bed behind him.

He blinked a few times, hoping he was just hallucinating but no, the girl was still here and she sure was the same girl as the picture. Slowly, he turned around, his back to the mirror. Maybe he was just seeing things in the mirror…?

Or not.

Because the girl was there, sitting on the bed, looking curiously at him.

“I take that you can see me?” she asked, her voice crystal clear, a curious look on her face, her head slightly tilted to the side.

Brian opened his mouth to speak, but no sounds came out. What was he supposed to say? He never thought someone was still living here! And what did she meant, of course he could see her, it was normal right? Something wasn’t wrong with that girl…

“Oh please, don’t faint!” she pleaded, getting up from the bed and walking up towards him. That’s when he noticed it, something was definitely wrong with her, he could see the wall through her. He could see the wall, the bed, everything.

He took a step back as she raised her hand to touch him. She quickly dropped her hand to her side and stopped, sighing.

“Okay… hum, maybe I shouldn’t have move. I tend to forgot I’m dead sometimes… But you know how it is, you forgot what real people…” she stopped mid sentence, bringing her hand to her mouth. “I shouldn’t have said that!” she apologized, before she hurried towards the door and opened it. It slammed shut immediately after her, leaving Brian in a state of shock.

Did it really just happen? he wondered, his eyes glued on the bed before his gaze drifted to the door.

**

He lay on his bed, his gaze glued to the ceiling, wondering what exactly happened this afternoon and if it really happened.