You only have this one-shot

When love makes a run for it, what do you have lef

When love makes a run for it, what do you have left?

I walked into our apartment and there he was, and so was she. He was referring to Nick Walker, my boyfriend. He was cheating on me. I came to see him and surprise him on Valentine’s Day and he was making out with someone who he had probably just met.

“And I knew it was true the moment I heard it from Patrick’s mouth.” I said coldly.
"Caitlin, I-I-”
“I don’t want to hear it. You just wanted me because I was famous.” I said.

I ran to my car and went to my apartment that I shared with Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews. I ran to Patrick’s room. I opened the door and shut it behind me. He wasn’t there. I always ran to his room when I was upset.

I layed in Pat’s bed and cried. I wrapped myself in his white comforter. About an hour later I heard the door open.

“Caitlin?” he said cautiously.
“You were right.”
“I’m sorry.” he said. He crawled into his bed with me. He pulled me into him and I layed my head on his chest. I cried into his shoulder. He stroked my hair and rubbed my back. He comforted me. We had been best friends forever.

“Shhhhh. It’s ok.”
“Wasn’t I good enough?” I asked.
“He isn’t good enough for you.” he whispered into my hair.
“Every single guy I go out with breaks my heart.”
“Let me show you that not all guys are bad.” he said.
“What are you going to do?” I asked.
He answered without words, he brushed his lips against mine and pressed them softly to my lips.
“I would never hurt you, in any way. I can promise you that.” he said.
“When love makes a run for it, what do you have left?” I asked.
“You have me.” he said and kissed me again.
“Will you be here forever?” I asked.
“Of course.” he said. He kissed my hair.
“Never leave.” I whispered. I reached for his hand and he locked it with mine. We just layed there.
“I have a game tonight.”
“Oh.”
“You can stay here or come with me.”
“I’d rather stay here. I just don‘t feel like doing anything.” I said.
“If I had the choice I would stay home just to be here for you.”
“When I’m with you I forget about everything.”
“You don’t have to leave Chicago just yet do you?” he asked.
“Tomorrow, I have a race.”
“Do you know how much I worry about you?”
“No Patty Cake, how much?”
“More than you could imagine.”
“I’ll be fine.”
“I hope so. You just don’t even know.”
“It’s ok. Don’t worry about me.”
“I just don’t want you to get hurt or anything.”

FF to during the race;;

Travis Pastrana lost control and hit into me. We both layed there. A moment later Travis got up. He ended up getting first and I got second. After the wreck we had another 13 laps to go. I finished my race with a broken collar bone. We met after the race and exchanged phone numbers and talked for a little while. He drove me to the airport.

Later that night;;

“Hey Patty.” I said, talking to him on my phone.
“Are you alright?”
“I just have a broken collar bone.” I said.
“When are you coming home?”
“Open your door.”

He opened the door and I just looked at him, then at her.

Patrick Kane’s Point Of View;;

There she stood. She was a little bruised but she looked amazing, until she saw Maria. She ran past me and into her room. When she was upset she always ran to my room, why hers this time?

I told Maria to leave and then I walked up the steps to her door. I knocked lightly.

"Caitlin, can I please come in?
“Sure.”
“What’s wrong with you?” I asked her.
“You acted like you loved me.”
“I do.”
“Why do you have her here then?”
“I didn’t think you felt the same back.”
“Patrick.” she said in a sob.
“Please don’t cry.”

She pulled her suitcase out and started packing clothes and crying. I finally got a grip of what she was going to do. I walked over to her and gripped onto her waist. I looked right into her caramel eyes and pushed back loose strands of her matching caramel hair.

“Don’t leave.” I said in a whisper. Letting Caitlin go would kill me.
“She makes you happy Patty, I get it.”
“You would make me happier.”
“Then why didn’t you say something to me Kane?!” she said, shocked. It wasn’t a yell, she didn’t even raise her voice. I could tell she was upset because she has only called me Kane one other time, she was really upset that time.
“I didn’t think you felt the same back.”
“You should have just taken a chance.” she whispered.
“I know.”
“I’m sorry Patty, but I can’t stay. I don’t want to have you smell like her or have to see you two making out on the couch. I’ll always love you Patty Cake, don’t ever forget that.” she said and walked to the door. I reached out and grabbed her arm and pulled her into me. She just looked at me.
“Patty cake are you crying?” she asked.
“Yes.” I choked out.
“Why?”
“Because, I can’t afford to lose you. You are the best thing that has ever happened to me. You are the best friend I have ever had. You are the best girl I have in my life besides my family of course, but if you leave I’m going to be crushed.”
“Patty cake, you should have told me how you felt.”
“I should have.” I said. I still had tears running down my face. She wiped them away.
“I need you more than anyone.” I said.
“I need you more than anyone or anything but so does she.”
“Just leave.” I whispered.
“Bye.” she said and kissed me lightly on the lips then walked out the door with tears in her eyes and down her cheeks.

I called her phone a week later:

“Hello?” a man’s voice said.
“Is this Caitlin Toy's phone?”
“Yes, who is this?”
“This is her best friend, where is she?”
“You haven’t heard?”
“Heard what?”
“She had a car accident on her way here. I‘m Travis Pastrana.”
“Is she ok?”
“We don’t know if she is going to make it.”
“Oh I’m Patrick Kane. I’m a hockey player for the Chicago Blackhawks.”
“Well I’ll call you and tell you if she is making any progress.”
“Thanks.”
“No problem.”

She was stressed because of me. This was my fault. How could I do this to her?

One week later;;

My phone rang and her name came up.

“Travis how is she?”
“I’m fine.” she said.
“C?”
“Patty I’m fine. I’m actually closer to you than you think. Open the door.”
I opened it and there she stood. She looked horrible, bruises and cuts all along her body.
“Ali.” I whispered.
“I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have left, I shouldn’t have gotten mad if you loved her. This got out of hand and I hurt you.” she said.
“I love you.”
“You don’t mean it.”
“I do too. I told Maria I didn’t want to see her again. I also went out and bought this ring.”
She just stared at me.
“Marry me.”
“Always and forever.”
♠ ♠ ♠
One-shot for Mully17 :]