Ocala Is Calling

Bad News

Those nine words stunned me. I lay below him, studying all of his marvelous features, and the shadows that fell upon his face, accented by the moonlight. Who knows how much time passed before I snapped out of the chaotic mass wailing through my mind.

Gavin's eyebrows raised, waiting for me to respond. I struggled to find the right words.

"I would LOVE to be your girlfriend, Gavin." I said, a smile quickly sweeping across my face.

Without giving me a moment to prepare, Gavin brushed his soft lips against my full smile, and I felt him smile back through the kiss. He sat up, and I followed his actions. He held either side of my face in his monsterous hands, and his gaze met mine. The bright, beautiful smile on his face instantly faded into a strangely uncomfortable expression that was hard for me distinguish between angry, or sad.

"Ronni. More than anything I don't want to have to tell you this news." Gavin warned.

My heart instantly dropped, whatever he had to tell me, I knew it was bad.

He started me straight in the eyes, seriously.

"Veronica. I need someone right now, more than I ever thought I would need to have someone. You. You listen so well. Everything you say, it just seems like you're erasing problems. It's incredible." He started.

I nodded for him to continue, flattered.

"I went to the doctors. They poked me with needles, and did a million tests, and we went back yesterday, and I finally know what's wrong with me."

Anxiety began to build inside of me, My heart pounded, the fast-paced rhythm crawling up my neck.

"Ronni. I haven't admitted it yet, not to myself, or anyone else.. but I guess I'm going to have to.." his sentence trailed off, and his gaze shifted to the ground, fixiated on extracting diminutive blades of grass, and then spreading his fingers, enabling the petite strands to flutter to the ground lightly.

My hand met the side of his face, pulling his eyes back to mine. I watched attentively as he drew in a deep breath, and released.

"I've got leukemia." He said in one breath.

My jaw dropped in lucid dismay. Gutteral sounds fell from my mouth, unable to form words that could comfort him any more than loaded 45. Without delay, I threw my arms around his waist, and he pulled me into his chest, and wrapped both arms around me. He smelt of laundry soap, and aftershave, but all the same marvelous.

"Ronni, what am I going to do? I have lacrosse, I have school. I can't let my mom down. I can't do this. I can't.." His words fell and he let his head drop to rest atop mine, constricting his arms tighter. I heard a supressed sniffle above my head, and concern, and pure astonishment flooded over me when he let his arms fall to the ground and I looked up to see puddles of tears forming underneath his hazel iris'.

I bit my lip, unsure what was supposed to happen next, and he pulled me into a deep kiss, intensity surging through his lips and passing to mine. This is how the scene played for almost 10 minutes until he pulled away, to look me in the eyes.

"God, I need you." he proffessed, through quivering lips.
♠ ♠ ♠
]': I'm sorry I had to do it.