Ocala Is Calling

No offense, Florida.

By the time we got home it was pouring. As my merciful mother drove down the long dirt drive way leading to our small house, I contemplated what I would do for the rest of the night. It was only 10, and against all odds, I really wasn't the least bit tired. As the car came to an abrupt hault in front of our house I released my seatbelt and stepped foot outside of the car. Aware of the continuous gushing of rain over my head, I quickly hopped out of the seat and caught my frayed grey high-tops in a slick puddle, falling flat on my back. Gods punching bag, i thought. I careful brought myself to my feet and entered the house sopping wet. I got to my room and threw the muddy clothes to the floor. Throwing on an oversized T-shirt, and a pair of worn blue-plaid pajama pants, I threw myself onto my twin bed and closed my eyes.

When I woke up, only a half hour had passed. I wiped the sweat-soked hair away from my face and went to the kitchen to get something to eat. There at the kitchen table was my mom.
"Veronica, can you sit please?"
"ehh, sure?" I replied.
"Listen. I've been thinking about this for a while now, but I really think tonight made the decision for me. You know as a journalist, I need news to do my job, and we have so many writers that I really never write anymore. There is a small-town newspaper in need of an editor-in-chief and they said they I'm perfectly qualified for the position. How do you feel about Florida, dear?" she questioned.
"Uh. Uhm. Florida?"
"Yes."
She nodded her head, in agreement.
"Erh. I dunno." I said.
"Can I think about it?"
"Go ahead" she replied.

I stumbled into my room, still foodless. Florida. Yuck. I really didn't have anything against the "Sunshine State", because I didn't really know anything about it. Besides it's overflowing expanse of orange groves, I was clueless. I guess I couldn't be any worse off than I was here.

I walked back out to where my mom sat at the table.
"sure." i said, blantantly
"Great, Veronica. I've got a cute little house lined up for rent. We'll be out of here in no time."