The Past Belongs In The Past

Chapter Nineteen- Mistake?

“Look Anna, Brian didn’t mean what he said. Please just come back and we’ll sort it out.” Gerard pleaded, blocking Adam out.

“Anna this is both of ours mistake.” Gerard said putting a hand through his hair.

And then I lost it.

“MISTAKE!? How dare you!? Madison is not a mistake! My kid is not ‘a mistake’!” I screamed at him.

“Anna I didn’t mean--” He began, looking shocked.

“GET OUT!” I screeched, standing up and knocking over the designer chair I had been sitting in.

“Anna I didn’t--” he stammered. “Anna I’m sorry, I didn’t--”

I stopped, picked up my chair and took a deep breath. I’d been training myself to calm down when Madison was driving me insane. Adam and Gerard were just staring at me.

“Gerard, I think you should leave.” I said evenly and firmly.

“No.” He said defiantly.

“Fine.” I got up. “I’m sorry Adam, I’ll talk to you later.”

I walked down the hall and knocked on Jamie’s door. “Maddie honey, we have to go.”

“But mum! I want to stay here and play with Jamie!” Madison complained.

“We might come back another time,” I told her “Say goodbye.”

“Bye Jamie.” Madison said huffily.

I picked her up and went back down the corridor. Gerard was standing at the door waiting for me and Adam was standing between the hallway and the door, looking unsure as to what he should do.

“Daddy!” Madison squealed, running up to him and giving him a hug. He barely acknowledged her, he just kept staring at me.

“Madison, why don’t you go push the button for the elevator? I’ll be there in a second.” I suggested, putting her down. She ran out the door and a second later I heard the slight ding of the elevator button.

“I’m really sorry about this Adam.” I said to Adam, ignoring Gerard’s presence.

“Um… don’t worry about it Anna, we all have our secrets.” He said, forcing a smile.

See now here’s a nice guy, why didn’t I find him earlier!

I could feel Gerard’s stare and I did something pretty childish. I pulled Adam towards me and kissed him, with tongue and for quite a while.

“I’ll see you tomorrow then.” I said when we broke apart. Adam just nodded, looking stunned.

Gerard looked ready to murder someone, I’d never seen him look so angry. It felt good to have caused it.

I smiled and headed down the corridor to where Madison was waiting with the lift. I picked her up and pushed the ground floor button. The doors were closing when a hand shot out to stop them. Gerard stepped into the lift and stared straight ahead.

“Ground floor, please.” I said with forced politeness.

He leant forward and violently hit the button again.

Madison looked up and me, then at Gerard but stayed quiet.

When the doors opened again I stepped out with Madison and didn’t look back.

I knew Madison was waving goodbye to Gerard over my shoulder. I felt a pang of guilt for her, she didn’t know what was going on.

Then I felt the tears start to well in my eyes. I tried hard to hold them back but they were beginning to brim over.

I sat Madison down the first bus stop we came to and took out my cell phone.

“Hey this is Marty. I’m not here right now but I’ll get back to you as soon as possible. I this is Anna, I’d love to look after Maddie! If this is Steven, FUCK YOU!”

I smiled weakly and sniffed “Hey it’s Anna, Madison’s fine but I really need to talk to you soon. Please give me a ring when you get this.” I sniffed again “Bye.” I hung up the phone.
“Mummy? Do you need a hug?” Madison asked, standing up on the bus stop bench and reaching for me.

“Yea, I do.” I picked her up and held her close. “I’m just a little upset. I’ll be better soon.”
“Okay,” she said “I love you, mummy.”

“I love you too munchkin.” I looked down at my beautiful little girl. Not a mistake. She’s my perfection.

I picked up my phone again and dialled the first safe number that came to mind.

“Hello?”

“Hey Cat, it’s Anna.”

“Oh hey Anna, is everything okay?” she sounded concerned.

“Yea, I was just wondering if you could look after Madison for a bit, just for a few hours.”

“Yea sure I’d love to. Drop her by the café anytime.”

“Thank you so much.”

I hung up and flagged down the bus.

When I was dropping Madison off at Serendipity my phone started to ring ‘Calling: My Chemical Romance Tour Bus’. I switched it off.

----------

Please comment :D