The Past Belongs In The Past

Chapter Twenty Five- I Fought The Law

“You look happy today.” Cat commented as I walked through the café doors the next day.
I grinned at her, “I am.”

My day proceeded with unfaltering good luck, serving customers with a smile. The lunchtime rush had just begun and I was busy sprinkling chocolate into the shape of stars on drinks when I heard my name spoken by a man who had just walked in.

“I’m looking for a Miss Anna March.” The strict voice said causing me to turn around.

The man who had spoken was wearing the uniform of a court official and a serious face.

“I’m she.” I said wiping the brown chocolate powder from my hands.

“Miss March, you’ve been served.” He handed a large brown envelope with a legal firm’s logo imprinted on it to me.

“I wha--” I spluttered staring incredulously at the paper.

“Have a nice day.” He said simply and left.

****

My rage was overwhelming as a stomped across the carpark. I landed a constant round of thundering knocks on the bus’ door before Mikey’s face answered.

“Anna?” Mikey looked surprised.

“Where is he?” I demanded.

Mikey began to look uneasy. “He…er…”

“Michael.” I said warningly.

“Around the back.” Mikey blurted.

I stormed around the side of the bus to find Gerard this time leaning against the bus and smoking a cigarette.

“What the hell are you thinking?!” I yelled at him.

Gerard stood up. “Anna…Can we do this somewhere else?” He stammered awkwardly at the furious look on my face.

“YOU’RE SUING ME FOR GUARDIANSHIP!?” I screamed.

Gerard seemed to have found his footing and he held a firm look. “She’s my daughter too, Anna.” He said. “and it’s only co-guardianship.”

“I don’t care what it is! You are not fit to look after a child at all!”

“I haven’t been given the chance to be!” Gerard defended himself.

“You live in a fucking bus for fucks sake!” I screamed.

“Only on tour, Anna. I have an apartment in New York. I’ve a spare room and everything.” He stated as though providing a bed made him the best candidate for a parenting job.

“You cannot be serious! You really think that you can uproot my child’s life by giving her your storage room?”

“I am her father! It’s my right! You cannot keep her from me!”

“I’m not keeping her from you, I’m keeping her from THIS!” I yelled, wildly waving an arm at the bus. “Your life is not child friendly! You spend every night on stage in front of thousands of people, and then you go out and party and sleep until noon. When would you be able to take her to kindergarten? Or read her a bedtime story? When could you do anything she needs?! You couldn’t!.”

Gerard said nothing for a moment and I took a deep breath to calm myself.
“I cannot afford to fight you on this, Gerard.” I said. “I can’t support all the legal bills.”

Gerard looked defeated. “Anna—I—I just want to be a part of her life.”

“You will. Please, drop the plea.”

“Anna, you’ll just take her away again.” His eyes filled with hurt.

I sighed. “We’ll arrange something. Just please don’t get lawyers involved.”

“Fine.” Gerard slumped back down to where he had been sitting and lit a cigarette.

“Thank you.” I said and was about to turn and leave when he spoke again.

“I’m sure you’re new boyfriend could have helped you with the money…” He murmured.

I actually laughed at this. “Is that what this is all about?” I asked, overcome by amusement rather than the anger that I would have usually have felt. I guess I’d already used up my anger quota.

“I just don’t think he’s right for you.” Gerard said quietly.

“Well that’s not your decision, is it?” I said though my heart sank at the sight of the wedding band Gerard was fiddling with on his finger.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Christmas!
I wanted to leave you on the first part of this update but it was just too short and mean for Christmas Day.