The Past Belongs In The Past

Chapter Four- Another Gloria

“Anna! There is a guy here to see you. Looks like a young record company type. I told him to wait to see you after the show. Lets get you discovered, sweet stuff!” Dave called to me excitedly.

I groaned. I bet it was Jackson or one of the guys like him.

“Yea thanks, Hun.” I said.

“Ow! Looking hot tonight Miss Annie!” David cooed. Aw gotta love him and his stereotype homosexual ways. “New dress?”

“Yea Cat thought it was time.” Catherine is the owner of Serendipity.

“Well knock ‘em dead.”

“Okay you’re up.” One of the backstage guys told me. “Gloria again by request.”

I groaned again. Great. I heard Jay the pianist play the first few bars of ‘I will survive’, while the curtain was still down. I walked out onto stage and began the song as the curtain came up. I couldn’t really see off into the crowd because of the lighting but I could tell by the applause that the audience was smaller than usual tonight. That didn’t matter to me, I preferred smaller audiences.

I sung a few more songs and was half way through Fever when I saw him through the darkness. I stopped singing suddenly. I felt the blood run out of my face.

No. No, he couldn’t be here. But he was, or I thought he was. Sitting there, front left table. Goofy grin lit up by the single candle on the table. He saw I had seen him and his smile fell a bit from the look on my face but he recovered it and winked.

“Anna! Anna!” Jay whispered urgently to me. He had continued playing while I’d stopped singing. I started singing again.

When my time was over I hurried off stage making sure I didn’t make eye contact with him.

“Dave, I need you to do something for me.” I pleaded to David the moment I saw him.

“Anything for you, sweet cheeks.” He replied looking a bit worried.

“That guy who came to see me, please don’t let him back stage.”

“Sure, can I ask why?”

“I don’t feel like talking about it right now.”

I rushed into my dressing room, shut the door and sunk down to the floor leaning against it. I could hear the muffled voices from outside.

“She isn’t up to visitors.” I heard David say firmly.

“But I need to see her.” I heard him say. My stomach flipped at the sound of his voice. He sounded the same. Just as infatuating.

“Tough. No visitors.”

“Well can you tell me how I can contact her?”

“No.” David said bluntly.

I moved away from the door so I couldn’t hear anything more. A few minutes later there was a quiet knock on my dressing room door. I knew David wouldn’t let him in if I’d said not to so I felt safe opening it.

“He’s gone.” David said quietly. “I threatened to call the cops and he left.”

“Thank you so much.” I murmured from where I sat hunched against the wall opposite the door.

“Do you want to talk about it?” David asked sitting down beside me and giving me a hug.
I trusted David but he knew nothing about it.

“I don’t know what to say.” I said weakly.

“Well lets start with: who is he?” David suggested.

“Madison’s father, Gerard.”