The Past Belongs In The Past

Chapter Five- Departures

“Maddie bath time!” I called.

“I don’t want to have a bath!” she whinged “Do I have to?” she pleaded looking up at me with her signature puppy-dog eyes. Her eyes, so like her fathers. The colour, the shape, the long luscious lashes.

It was completely dark except for the artificial glow of the huge neon light sign outside. I could feel his warm breath on my neck as he slept. Silent tears were running down my face and puddling momentarily on the pillow until the generic motel material absorbed them.

Now was the time if I was going to do it.

I drew in a deep shaky breath and dislodged myself from his warm arms. The cold night air rushed in to fill the vacant cavity. He mumbled slightly in his sleep and rolled over.

I pulled myself out of the bed and fumbled around in the dark until I found the clothing I had set aside. I slowly got dressed, vision impaired by the blurring tears.

I pulled a letter out of my coat pocket and placed it next to his sleeping shape on the bedside table. I knew that what it said would break his heart. I knew because it was breaking mine. My pitiful unexplained departure. My final goodbye.

My chest shook with a suppressed sob. I wanted to scream, to release my bottled distress.
I picked up the suitcase I had already packed and headed for the door.

As I turned the handle there was a murmur from behind me. He was sitting propped up on one elbow staring at me with blearily.

“Anna?” he mumbled quietly. “What time is it?”

“Too early.” I told him, trying to keep the tears out of my voice. “Go back to sleep.”

“Yea…yea…okay…” he muttered and flopped back down onto the pillow. I stood perfectly still until his breathing returned to a deep rhythm.

“I love you.” I whispered to the dark room and I slipped out the door into the night.


“Yes you have to have bath!” I said, “You don’t want to be the smelly girl at kindy, do you?”

“Noooo” she said drawing out the single syllable.

“Then lets” I kissed her on the forehead “Get you” a kiss on each cheek for each word “clean.” I said kissing her on the tip of her nose.

She giggled and I tickled her.

“Mummmmy!” she cried.

“Grawl! I’m the tickle monster and I’m gonna get you!” I yelled and she ran screaming into the bathroom.