Sequel: Beautiful Deception
Status: November 29th, 2009: First chapter of the Sequel will be posted on December 2nd so stay tuned :]

Deadly Perception

What Was He Afraid Of?

I didn't bother to press the matter anymore than it already had been. So instead of asking about his brother, I suggested that we go and take a walk around his block. That lasted for a few minutes, and now here we were back in front of his house. I checked my watch; it was 6:00. The O'Keiffs might be worried.

"I hate to say this, but I've got to go," I informed him. He frowned slightly, but nodded anyway.

"I'd offer to drive you, but I don't have a car." He said with a little bit of playfulness in his voice. I'm glad to say that he wasn't completely brought down by the mention of his brother. He'd been quieter than usual on our walk, and I had been worried that I'd hit a nerve.

"That's okay," I said swiping my hand in the air signaling that it was no big deal. "My brother will..." I stopped. Do I really want to go as far as to day that Jack would pick me up? Well, I had to because that was my only choice.

Nick raised an eyebrow at me, willing me to continue. Oh right, what was I saying?

My brother will pick me up," I finished reluctantly.

"You have a brother?" He asked gaping at me. Did he not know that the boy he had punched earlier was my brother? Oh right, he probably didn't since brother-adoptive or not-don't normally treat their sister's that way.

"Yeah, you've met him already," I stated. I knew I shouldn't give away that Jack was my foster brother, but Nick would probably find out sooner or later.

"No way!" He breathed in surprise. "Who is he?"

"Jack, the boy you punched earlier," I answered nervously fiddling with my fingers. Either Nick would take this really well, or really bad.

He looked like he was about to puke. "Please tell me you're joking," he begged.

"I'm not... why?"

"Just be careful around him," he pleaded taking my hand in his. His expression looked sad and his eyes looked tortured as they bore into mine. What was he afraid of?

"Why?" I whispered.

"Because he could hurt you, Riley. He could really really hurt you." I just gaped at him not able to process what he was saying.

"Nick, I don't understand..." I reached out to him, but he pulled his hand away from me and backed away.

"Riley, I'm sorry. I really like you, and I care about you. But... this won't work. I have to go." With that he turned and left.

He had hit a nerve. I was so confused. Who said that they cared about you, acted like your friend, and then just tossed you away like a piece of trash.

"Wait!" My voice cracked, and he heard it too. He stopped and turned around his eyes pained. The next that happened was a huge blur. So much, in fact, that I can't believe it really happened.

All I know, is that one minute he was halfway down the sidewalk and the next, he was standing right in front of me. His right hand pushed a strand of my hair behind my ear before resting gently on my cheek. He looked me in the eye for a second, and then crashed his lips onto mine. It lasted forever, but ended way too soon. Before I knew it, he pulled away and took off running down the sidewalk.

I stood there in surprise not able to think or move. My lips tingled as if there was some type of invisible electric current running through them and I felt faint. I knew one hundred percent that I liked Nick; love even. Unfortunately, he had other ideas.

That may or may not include his feelings for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are <3
^u've been doing gr8 so far, keep up the g0od work!!! lol