Maybe It Wasn't Meant to Be.

Beautiful Roses For A Beautiful Lady.

Draco's Potions classes with Hermione were usually very quiet. She did the first half and then Draco did the second. From time to time that talked usually because Draco needed a quill or needed more parchment. He knew she hated him and it hurted. The person he loved for six years hated him. When he looked at her he felt strangely warm, but when she glanced at him he felt his skin burn. He knew those glances had no passion, no care, no love. They were only full of hatred. It hurted him everyday.

He had a few weeks to think about what he should do to actually try to win Hermione's heart and that Saturday he was going to make his move.

***

Hermione had finished gathering her books from the library. She remembered she was to meet up with her two best friends; Harry and Ron and she did not want to be late so she quickly walked through the halls. Suddenly she bumped into a stranger and dropped all her books.

"Oh my. I'm very sorry," she said as she went on her knees to get her books.

"No. I'm sorry. I should've watched where I was going. Do forgive me," the voice said. He had picked up her books and helped her up.

She wrenched Draco's hand off of her, took her books, and stomped off leaving a sighing Malfoy.

She quickly checked her books to see if Malfoy had left some sort of sticky substance or something to somehow humiliate her, but she could not find a single trace of anything, but specks of dust. Hermione wondered why Malfoy had helped her pick up her books without insulting her or embaressing her, but she quickly pushed all thoughts of Draco out of her mind and walked to Hogsmeade.

She walked through the small village of Hogsmeade. It was already late September. The weeks had flown by. She slowly admired all of Hogsmeade's shops as she walked slowly to the Three Broomsticks. When she arrived, she pushed the heavy door to be greeted by her bestfriends.

"Hello Hermione," greeted Ron.

"Hey."

"Hi guys. Sorry you guys had to wait. I just need to get some books from the-"

"Library," Ron and Harry had finished the sentence for her and the trio laughed together.

"Here's a butterbeer."

"Thanks Ron. You've been really nice lately," Hermione complimented.

Ron's ears turned as red as his messy hair. Harry snickered in his mind.

"So whatsup guys?"

"Nothing much," replied Ron.

" I've been just thinking about Voldemort."

Ron winced at the name.

"Oh Ron. Get over it. He's dead."

"I know, I know, but I'm just use to be scared of the name."

"Continue Harry."

"Well, do you think someone might be still commanding the deatheaters?"

There was a short pause. Harry was anxious to hear anyone say anything. Hermione seemed to be deep in thought and Ron was just playing with his empty butterbeer bottle.

"I don't know, what made you think that someone took Voldemort's place, Harry?"

"Oh, just nothing. Curious, is all," Harry lied, avoiding his friends' eyes, but none of them seemed to notice.

"So, do you guys hear about the upcoming dance?" Ron asked trying to change the subject.

"Yeah. I taking Ginny."

Hermione coughed on her butterbeer. She knew Ginny and Harry had been going out for a long time, but at any mention of them together she seemed to panic.

"But I seriously don't know what to get her a little present. I don't want to mess up."

Hermione's eyes started to water. Why now?, she asked herself.

"Yeah, don't you remember last time? You got her flowers that she was allergic to." said Ron.

"But Hermione'll help me, right?"

He glanced at Hermione. She looked up at him and gave him a dealy stare.

"Is that all I'm good for?" she shouted at him.

She ran out the door.

"What the blood hell was that about?"

Hermione ran around the corner and broke into tears. She noticed how foolish she was being and quickly wiped her tears. Then she bumped into a familiar person.

"Hello, Hermione. I was-," he stopped and put a hand on her shoulder. " What's wrong Hermione?"

Hermione shrugged off Draco's hand and wiped her tears on her left sleeve.

"What do you want Malfoy?"

"Well, I just bought these roses and I don't know what to do with them exactly so I thought you might like them."

"This better now be some stupid prank."

"No, its not. Here. Just take them."

Draco took Hermione's arm and wrapped them around the bouquet of roses.

"I hope they make you feel better."

Before she could even hold onto the roses properly to throw it back at Malfoy, he was gone.

Again, she examined the roses just like she did with her library books. They were just ordinary roses, no, they were not ordinary at all. They were glittering with sparkling droplets of water that looked more like diamonds. The redness of the petals were pure. The petals were soft and fragrant. The stems were thornless.

She recognized the flowers. They were the rare roses only found in Europe in the Likanu forest. They were extremely hard to come by. She knew Malfoy couldn't have bought this at some cheap flower shop. She just wondered why he would've given it to her.