Sequel: Trade Mistakes
Status: Sequal? Or no?

Like a Fool

Chapter o34

Matt was still down stairs, presumably speaking with whoever had been at the door, as I rummaged through my suitcase. I needed to start getting to bed. I was exhausted, both mentally and physically, and the idea of Matt's bed was all I could think about.

No matter how upset I ever got I could always sleep in Matt's bed. It was always warm and comfortable, and Matt's presence always made it better. He was the best person to cuddle against, his strong arms would envelope me as I used his chest as a pillow. It was impossible to have a nightmare with him around.

I dressed in my black and red pajama shorts and black tank top as quickly as possible (you never know when someone will walk in without knocking). I trotted to the bathroom to brush my teeth and put on my black square framed glasses that made it quite a bit easier to see at night. When I left the bathroom I leaned over the banister looking down into the first story to see Matt close the front door and head to the stairs.

"Hey Matt!" I stage whispered, laughing when he looked like a deer in the headlights.

"Hey Cain!" He mimicked my voice and rolled his eyes.

"Well I'm going to go to sleep now!" I gave a very large comical wink and made a show of walking into the guest bedroom. In about ten minutes (when I was sure everyone else was asleep) I would sneak back into Matt's room. His parents must knew we did that because in the morning we would still be in the same bed. But they didn't care, they trusted me. Not Matt because, let's face it, he is a teenage boy. At least they trusted me!

"Don't bother." Matt said following me and stopping at the door frame. "They know we sleep in the same bed, but wait two minutes so I can get dressed." He added. I shrugged and sat on the bed to wait.

I gave him five minutes, I could tell he was acting strangely so I wanted to give him some time to collect his thoughts.

I knocked on the door (just in case) and entered once he gave the okay.

I leaned against the door frame and raised my eyebrow.

He paused in the middle of pulling back his sheets "Can I help you?"

"You're acting weird." I said bluntly.

"What are you talking about? I'm not acting weird." He sat on the bed but didn't make eye contact.

"Do you really think that I believe Adam?" I shut the door and sat next to him on the bed.

"What are you talking about?" He was looking panicked.

"I know you're not like that Matt. We've known each other forever, you haven't hung out with me for this long to just have sex." I bumped my shoulder into his "I know you're not that desperate." I laughed.

He cracked a smile. But I just felt sad. I almost wish Adam was right. I like Matt, it would be nice to get that kind of attention from him, even if he was just using me.

Which sounds horrible and masochistic in retrospect, but that's what happens when you're infatuated.

"That's true, I don't normally date girls like you anyways." He sighed and flopped back on to the bed. I was stunned, that was a point blank rejection and I certainly didn't see it coming...

"Say what now?" I raised my brow yet again and crossed my arms defensively.

"Well, you're naturally beautiful, you don't need to wear make up. You're smart and won't let us guys get to you. You can actually take a joke, and better yet dish it all back out. You don't dress like a slut, but can still attract the eyes of every guy in a room. Or so I've heard, I don't pay attention to them when you're around. Not to mention the fact that you're completely obvious to all that attention."

I was speech less. Those are the words I've wanted to hear come out of his mouth for so long. "I am not oblivious!" Out of all the things to come out of my mouth, that was the indignant retort I chose. Really?

He burst out laughing "I've never called a girl beautiful before, and you latch on to the oblivious comment?" More laughing. Apparently he was as surprised as I was, but found it in a more humorous light.

I rolled my eyes and laid next to him. "That's how I roll. But since when do you compliment me? You only compliment me on my birthday and school dances. You feeling alright?" I smacked him on the forehead under the pretense of feeling his temperature.

He shoved off my hand "Yes I'm sure. You know what? You're the most difficult person to compliment. I can never tell if I'll get a 'thank you' or a 'what the fuck are you on?'"

"Yeah, well that's why you love me. So there."

"One of the reasons, yes." I raised my eyebrows at the ceiling.

I decided to ignore that, there's no use making a bigger deal out of all this than necessary. "Well I am dead tired, so move you fat ass so I can get to bed!"

"Fat?! What are you talking about? Look at these guns!" He flexed his arms. I rolled my eyes but it was just to avert my eyes. He really was quite muscled. Gorgeous even.

"What ever the case, move! I want to sleep!" I whined "And you're bed is really comfortable, so I'm going to sleep whether or not you move!"

He moved so he was on his designated side of the bed and opened his arms. I collapsed next to him and snuggled into his chest. For the first time since I moved out I felt safe and at home. I was asleep with in minutes.

Matt's POV
Her breathing deepened as she began to fall into a deep sleep. My arms tightened around her and a contented sigh escaped my lips. She felt amazing, she trusted me completely and never had a second thought when I opened my arms. Or a perverted thought for that matter.

Though I can't say the same. As I said before her pajamas weren't exactly modest. But all thoughts of any activities less than innocent left my head as I looked down at her.

I groaned as that last thought entered my brain. I was growing soft. And that was not okay.

My tortured musings were interrupted as the phone on my bedside table rang. "Shit!" I hissed. I quickly took the phone off the hook, but extracted myself from her strong grip.

"Hello?" I asked quietly.

"Ah!" I heard a scream from the other line.

"What?! What happened?!" I quickly stepped out of the room so I wouldn't wake up Cain.

"You like Cain!" It was Carleigh.

"Who told you?!" I hissed.

"Brian. Duh. So you like Cain now?! When are you guys going out? How did you ask her out? give me details! Exact phrasing!"

"Calm down, calm down! I didn't ask her out."

There was silence "You didn't ask her out?" She asked slowly. "Why not?"

"Because," I sighed "I don't know... I just don't think she likes me like that. We treat each other like brother and sister. And I don't know about you, but girls don't normally date their brother."

"Alright. I'm sick of this!" I could practically hear her pacing "Look Cain will kill me when she hears when I told you, but..." She paused.

It was agonizing "But..." I prompted.

"She likes you too. She's been talking to me, and Brian and Jimmy for that matter. She has no idea what to do. She thinks that you see her as a sister, she really only dated Adam to try and get over you."

"W-what? Are you sure? She actually likes me?"

"Yes Matt! She's liked you for a while! Now go and ask her out right now!"

"But wait! You said she dated Adam to get over me, but what if she succeeded?"

"Ah! You know what. You two are perfect for each other! She's always coming up with those idiotic little side ideas that completely torpedo everything. So shut up, stop doubting yourself and go ask her out!"

I sighed and looked into my room. She was just lying there, completely venerable, and completely at peace. Every girl I've been with never trusted me so entirely. And I've never trusted them.

"So are you going to ask her out or what?"

I smiled "Ya know what... I think I am. Thanks Carleigh, bye." I hung up before she could say anything else.

I gently shook her awake "Cain, Cain. Wake up!" She grumbled and swatted my hand away. "Cain!"

She groaned "Fine, fine. I'm awake. Asshole." She opened her bleary eyes and sat up "What was so important that you interrupted my beauty rest?" She was only half joking.

"Okay, here it goes!" I took a deep breath "I really like you. Like a lot. And although that statement sounded extremely girly. Will you go out with me?"

"Am I dreaming? This must be a dream." I pinched her "Ow! What was that for?"

"To show you you're not dreaming." I grinned "But can you give me an answer? It's starting to get me paranoid..."

Cain's POV
I was stunned to say the least. My brain still felt heavy with sleep, and this really came out of left field. "Uhh... Matt I'm really confused." My mind was sprinting to catch up, but I suddenly heard Carleigh's voice in my head. Stop thinking and go for it. "You know what, this may be some kind of cruel joke, or dream. But yes Matt. I would love to go out with you."

I saw the relief apparent on his face. He leaned closer to me, but stopped just before my lips. I grinned and met him the rest of the way. The kiss was better than I ever imagined. Our lips fit perfectly together, it just felt right.

When we parted I sighed, I was worried it might have been a let down or maybe I would feel nothing. But it was the opposite, I felt even more drawn to him.

His grin told me he felt the same. It was, in a word, perfect.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes. I know. Sorry!

But other than that, what did you guys think? Yes. No. Maybe so...

love you all!!!!