Sequel: Trade Mistakes
Status: Sequal? Or no?

Like a Fool

Chapter o37

“Your pants are getting soaked.” She remarked mildly.
“Eh, that’s okay. I don’t mind.”

“You’re an idiot.” She giggled. “But on a serious note, I’m moving in tomorrow. We should probably get my stuff ready…”

“You’re already packed though.”

“Yeah, but I need to grab something I forgot at my house.” She pulled me out of the water and grabbed our stuff.

“Like what?” We ducked into the car.

“Like telling my mother what the hell I’m doing… She deserves to know even if she’s not kicking that asshole to the curb.”

I bit back my nagging thoughts, I didn’t want to make her second guess herself right now. So I let her lead me to the car and eventually through her front door, but my apprehension grew as I heard screaming coming from the kitchen.

She beat me to the door and we were met with her mother screaming at the dead beat with more passion and flailing limbs than I have ever seen.

“You son of a bitch! How dare you cozy up to me then take the one thing I care most about?! Have you no decency?!”

“What the fuck is going on here?!” Cain’s voice rang over the confusion.

Sara’s astonished look was now directed towards her “I’ll tell you what’s going on here! You were right! You’re dead beat, sorry excuse for a sperm-donor father wants you to go back with him!” She gave a mirthless laugh and glared in the bastards direction.

“You must be delusional. What about my behavior has said that I want to go back to New York with you? You’re the jackass who left me behind! And now suddenly you want me to come back to you? Fat. Fucking. Chance.”

“It was never my intention to leave you behind! I love you! I- I just ran into some trouble around here.”

“Don’t give a fuck. Get out.” Cain was cool and determined. Her arms were crossed over her chest and she gestured mildly to the door.

“You don’t understand! I was in debt, a lot of debt! I had some people after me and I didn’t want you guys exposed to that!”

“Exposed to what? A loving father? A stable provider? Exposed to a loyal man to look up to? Yeah, I wouldn’t want that either.”

“You’ve got a smart mouth young lady and I’ve had it with the disrespect.”

“You don’t deserve respect. You did when I was five and happy I had a father. Well I’m seventeen now. And you’re a bastard. Now explain to me why you want me to come to New York with you. I’d love to hear your shit excuse now.”

He sighed heavily. For the first time I could see the signs of aging on him, the lines around his mouth were pronounced, his hair was grey in the temples, and his posture had sagged “The woman I married-”

“Oh! See that’s funny! I don’t recall you and mom ever signing divorce papers! Isn’t that how you weaseled out of paying child support?”

“She knows about you both! She knows I’m still technically married but we share rings anyway. We may not be married in the legal sense but she wants me to be a good person and atone for what I’ve done. She thinks that if you come with me Cain then it will clear the air and you’ll have a father figure in your life. I’ve missed you Candy Cain.”

“Ya know, since you’ve come back all I’ve heard is “I’m sorry” or other fatherly advise that you’ve lost the right to give, but I haven’t heard one ‘I should have never walked out’ or ‘I regret my decision everyday’. I used to dream about you coming home you know. And those were the first things out of your mouth. But now… I just don’t give a fuck. So you can tell your new wife to shove it, I don’t care what she thinks because she has no power over me. And neither do you.”

“I’d be happy to call you a cab Dave, her decision is clear. Oh and I’ve always wanted to say this to you,” Sara spoke up now, fire glimmered from her eyes. She was out for blood “you are a no good son of a bitch. I hate every fiber of your being, and although Cain has said it enough for the both of us I’d just love to say it more. Fuck you! Fuck off! And most of all, go fuck yourself!”

I don’t know if he figured his plan would blow up in his face, but I’m pretty sure he didn’t see it going this badly.

“So now that the ‘fuck you’s are all done, would you so kindly wait for the cab outside? You’re not welcome here.”

He opened his mouth to protest but I stepped forward “No.” I blocked his view of Cain and Sara and gestured to the door.

And as mysteriously as he had come, he was gone.

*Cain’s POV*
“So does this mean you’re coming home Cain?” My mom asked when he left. I could see the happiness that she gained when telling Dave to fuck off as well as the hopeful look in her eyes.

I sighed heavily “Yes it does.” Those words surprised even me, I fully expected to say ‘Hell no! I’m outta here!’ but I just couldn’t leave. I’m not ready to be an adult yet, and if I can still have my mom in my life its worth not making a point to the guys. I just have to find a way to tell Adrian…

“I’m going to grab my stuff now.” before I left to go to the car she pulled me into a hug.

“I’m glad you’re back, it was so lonely. I don’t think I could have taken you moving out quite yet.”

“Me either mom.”

Once outside Matt turned to me and grinned “I’m glad you’re not moving out.”

“Yeah, I think rushing to be an adult would suck, I’m not done being a kid.”

“Good, because if you were an adult I’d feel creepy when I do this,” His lips met mine in a sweet and completely blissful kiss.

Once we pried apart he asked “But what about Adrian?”

“I think I’ve got an idea.” I grinned, grabbed my suitcase, and went back into my real home.

I’ve never been happier.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm really having a hard time deciding whether I want a sequel or not... I love this story and I'm so sad that it's done but at the same time I feel like the ending is good where it is, and where else would the story go? Well if you have any suggestions please let me know!

I love you all and if it wasn't for you I never would have finished this. And I've never finished anything in my life! Story wise that is. But I seriously owe you guys for all you've done. Thank you so much, you have no idea what it means to me!

Love,
Cain