Sequel: Trade Mistakes
Status: Sequal? Or no?

Like a Fool

Chapter oo5

*Cain’s POV*
I grabbed the water I left on the counter and started to descend the stairs quietly but stopped when I heard them talking about me.

I had heard too much, it was nice to called pretty and all but it was by the wrong people. I ran back up the stairs not bothering to grab my book and to the front door.

“Where are you going?” Mrs. Baker asked but when she saw my tears she asked “Are you okay honey?”

I shook my head no and continued my way back to my house. I wrapped my arms around my shaking form. It was cold, I was crying, and my house was far away. Dark clouds were starting to roll in off the shore and the temperature dropped significantly.

Tears started to cloud my vision, I was deathly afraid of storms. The occasional rain I loved, I always preferred cloudy days but add thunder and lightning and I’d go hide under my bed.

I heard a loud crack of thunder tear through the sky and I started to run. Heavy rain drops splashed onto my face mixing with my salty tears. It seemed the heavens were matching my mood.

By the time I got home lightning was illuminating the sky with peals of thunder not long after. I quickly ran up to my bedroom and shut the door. I turned on the lights, got in my pajamas and jumped onto my bed. After I was nestled in the blankets the lights shut off.

“No, no, no, no, no! This can’t be happening!” The storm had cut off the power. I grabbed the bat that Matt made me keep in my room and opened the door. As I was walking toward the stairs a streak of lightning lit up the sky and thunder followed.

I screamed and clutched the bat closer to my body. This always seemed to happen when I was alone, my mother was working the over night shift at the hospital and my father had been out of the picture for several years.

I made it to the kitchen eventually and started searching for a lighter and candles. I found large ones that my mother saved for just such an occasion and set them all over the kitchen. It didn’t provide much light but it was at least something.

I grabbed an old fashion candle stick holder (the ones with the rings on the base) and put a tall red candle in it. I tried to light it but the lighter wasn’t working.

I backed up to grab a match and ran into someone. I screamed and the candle clattered to the floor.

*Matt’s POV*
Mrs. Baker walked down the stairs a few minutes later “Cain just rushed out of here, what’s wrong?”

We all shrugged, I couldn’t think of why she’d leave but maybe she needed to finish some homework.

“Okay have fun.” She walked back up the stairs.

We exchanged odd looks but dismissed it. Soon we heard the pounding of rain on the window at the ceiling. Not long after thunder sounded in the sky.

“Guys we need to go.” I hopped up and grabbed Cain’s stuff.

“Why?” Johnny asked standing up.

“Cain’s really afraid of storms remember? And her moms working tonight.” I slipped on my jacket and took the stairs two at a time.

“Oh shit! Okay let’s take my car.” Zacky said grabbing his keys when we entered the kitchen.

We were in the car driving when we noticed that the lights were flashing red, something they only did when the power was out. “Hurry up Zack!”

“What’s the rush?” Jimmy asked.

“The powers out, she’s all alone in a dark house with a storm outside. She must be terrified.” I had some experience with her in these situations and she would get hysterical. It must be worse when no one’s home.

Zacky sped up but was careful not to spin out. Soon we arrived at her house I ran up to her door and walked into the house.

I saw the dim glow of candles coming from the kitchen. I saw her rummaging through a drawer and walked behind her. I was about to say something when she bumped into me, dropped what she was holding, and screamed like a banshee.

“Candy Cain! It just me! It’s Matt!” I said hugging her to my chest. She skipped the yelling and went straight to crying her eyes out.

“I-I was s-s-so s-s-s-scared!” She sobbed.
♠ ♠ ♠
A bit of drama thrown in! kind of...