Bodies

Chapter 2 - The Basement

John laid in bed, a hangover lingering over him. It was not very often that he got drunk; at least he hardly experienced the throbbing pain in his head caused by all those beers he encountered the previous night. Although some of the details were sketchy, John could remember roughly what happened yesterday. He certainly remembered Pauline with her silky ebony hair and her bright green eyes. It turned out that Pauline had brains as well as beauty. She explained to John that she was a journalist, who was often assigned to write the top stories for The Daily Express. Surely she must have passed at least a few of her examinations in order to get where she was? John’s thoughts were abruptly interrupted when his mobile phone started to ring.

“Hello?”

“Hi John, it’s Macey.”

“Oh, Hi Macey,” John said coldly. He still hasn’t forgotten how unfairly she treated him after their gig at the Royal Tavern.

“Look, I am sorry about how I acted,” Macey said apologetically, “I know I treated you unfairly last night, and I wanted to make it up to you.”

“Ok, apology accepted” He replied. Although John did have a tendency to hold grudges, he was a rather forgiving person.

“So, do you fancy coming over? We could try and work on our cover of Kiss Me Deadly?” Macey suggested. She knew that John’s all time favourite song was Kiss Me Deadly by Generation X. It appeared that the other band members were not a big fan of the song, but nether the less John had managed to persuade them to learn it.

“Ok, I’ll be at your place in 10 minutes, don’t move an inch,”

“Great, see you there!” Macey hung up.

As soon as Jonathon put the receiver down, he started to hastily shove objects in his backpack. He hated being late for any occasion, especially events that involved the band. Making sure he had everything he needed, John rushed through the front door and slammed it shut behind him.

A few minutes later and John found himself starring at a beautiful white cottage. He had mixed feelings about Macey’s place, possibly because he wasn’t sure what to make of it. Every room contained glass ordainments and precious stones that glittered in the sunlight. He half expected to see ‘Do Not Touch’ signs round every corner.

“Hey John!” Macey came running to him, “everyone is in the basement, come on!”
He followed the guitarist down the steps into a cosy room full of instruments and amps. The soundproofing of the room made the basement an ideal place for practicing.

“Hey Jonno,” Kyle smiled at him as he entered.

“Hi Kylie,” John grinned

“And how many times have I told you not to call me that?” Kyle punched him playfully on the arm.

“Don’t know, I don’t tend to count,”

“Aw guys, quit goofing around, if we are going to get ready for our next gig then we better get down to business.” Clara stated.

“Clara, your no fun!” Kyle rolled his eyes as he grabbed his bass.

“Ok everyone, I promised John that we would go through Kiss Me Deadly.”

“Fine with me,” Clara positioned her fingers on her electric guitar, “Count us in John!”