Bodies

Chapter 3 - A Mysterious Email

:
All was going well with the band. They had nearly got “Kiss me Deadly” down perfectly, Macey was sucking up to John as she still felt guilty about her outburst at the pub and John was tending to screw up less frequently. Yep, John was enjoying practice more and more. Not only had they learnt his all time favorite song, he had also managed to make them learn Gypsy Rose Lee by The Distillers.

Although she was no Brody Dalle Macey’s voice complimented the song really beautifully. Also, the drum beat was fairly simple so while they were playing this song, he just let his mind wander and allowed the music to take over.

All was pretty quiet on the gig front. Since “The Royal Tavern” they had only played a few songs at a school disco to a bunch of ten year olds. Let’s say that it didn’t go too well. Most ten year olds are interested in crazy dance beats and fast “happy sounding” music, they don’t care too much about poetic, emotional lyrics. . The dance floor was pretty empty until the DJ regained possession of his records and preceded to play “The Crazy Frog”. It went down a storm.

There was no real news in the love life department either, well not for John anyway. Kyle was still going strong with his girlfriend Jennifer and to tell you the truth the drummer was a little bit jealous. That was kind of an understatement really.

John studied his reflection in the mirror carefully. He could understand why the girls kept their distance. Lets face it, he was no Greek God. He tried and failed to sweep his hair from his eyes. He really needed a cut but he didn’t have enough in his bank account,
`hmmm another D.I.Y job from Kyle was due. Maybe he would be brave and go for a Mohawk this time…then again, maybe not.` He peered at his own murky, brown eyes and rather small, pouty mouth and cursed his parent’s DNA. He didn’t have the perfect, smooth complexion Kyle did, he didn’t have the strong, prominent jaw line either. Infact he was rather dorky.

Just then the Nokia theme tune awoke him from his stupor. He hurriedly searched the many pockets in his trousers. He decided that cargo pants were just not practical as he continued to finger through all of the junk. He came across several keys, his wallet, a pen that he had been looking for a few nights ago and many sweet and chocolate wrappers.

In the end he finally found his rather battered phone.

He flipped it open swiftly and saw that he had been sent a new email message, he quickly opened his inbox.

From: xXPaulineXx@starsearch.co.uk
Subject: hey =D
Message:
Hey John. Just writing to say I loved the gig the other night and the drink wasn’t so bad either! Maybe we should do it again some time. How about 7:00pm on Thursday?
Mail me back
Lots of Love
Pauline
XxX”

His heart skipped a beat. This was perfect! The only thing was he didn’t remember exchanging email addresses with Pauline. He was even freaked out about the fact that she knew his name.
Then a wave of rationality hit him. He was in a band and she was at their gig. Of course she knew his name and he probably gave out his email in their drinking session of which he couldn’t remember a thing. He reassured himself that all that mattered now was the date.

He replied in the affirmative.