Bodies

Chapter 4 - Exchange Of Numbers

John swore under his breath. There he was, stuck in miles of traffic when he should be at the Royal Tavern. There was no way he was going to make it on time, and he had no idea what he was going to do about it. Normally on situations like this, John would phone the person in question to prepare themselves for his late arrival. However tonight he had no idea what Pauline’s phone number was, which meant that he would just have to turn up late and hope for the best. It suddenly occurred to John that he actually knew very little about Pauline. He didn’t know her phone number, he didn’t know where she lived, he didn’t even know her age. If they were going to meet up, shouldn’t they properly get to know each other first? His thoughts were abruptly interrupted by the traffic slowly moving. Placing his foot on the pedal, John reassured himself that he would find out all he needed to know about Pauline as soon as he got to his destination.

half an hour later

He had made it! He was 30 minutes late but he had made it nether the less. John hastily went through the door and started to look for Pauline. He spotted her on a table in the corner, looking rather impatient.

“Hi,” John greeted her, as he sat down, “really sorry I am late, traffic was dreadful!”

“Hi, that’s ok I suppose, at least you’re here now,” Pauline smiled at him. Although she was smiling, John got the sense that Pauline thought he had forgotten about tonight.

“I didn’t forget you know, I really was stuck in traffic. The whole road was blocked.”

“I’m glad you didn’t forget,” Pauline smiled even more, “so, what drink are you having?”

The night, in Johns opinion, went pretty well. John noticed that Pauline frowned a couple of times, especially when the girl waitress came over with their drinks, or when John had a discussion about his Ex-Girlfriend from 2 years back. However, he thought nothing about it and was certain that the evening could have been a lot worse.

“So, I guess I should give you my phone number?” Pauline enquired

“Yea, your phone number would be great,” John added, “And I take it you want mine?”

“If you don’t mind,” Pauline got a pen from her handbag and gave it to John, “If you could just write it down on that napkin?”

“Sure,” John started to write. He had forgotten how beautiful Pauline was. Her smile in particular was incredible.

“Here you go,” John gave her the napkin.

“Thanks, now I’ll write down mine for you,”

“Thanks,”

They spent the rest of the evening talking and laughing with eachother. It wasn’t until midnight that John thought he had better leave,

“I better get going, I have got band practice tomorrow morning,” He explained

“Ok, sure,” Pauline went slightly tense, “I’ll call you sometime yea?”

“Yea, sure” John replied, “I had a great time tonight, thanks for everything,”

“No problem,” Pauline smiled, “See you soon,”

“See ya,” John waved before getting into his car. When he finally got to his apartment, he took the napkin out of his pocket and carefully placed it on his desk. After all, he wanted to keep it safe, didn’t he?