The Mouth of Hell

John's Diary

"NO! Greg! Come back... come back. Please..."

Sniper. Straight through his head. Shouldn't have felt a thing, but still his older brother Paul sits howling over his lifeless body, thumping his fist against the trench walls.
Gregor's the third to go, after Craig Midland and another boy I didn't know. Poor lads, it's made me even more determined to survive. I want to see the Germans lose.
We had to witness our neighbouring trench get absolutely annihilated by a gas bomb yesterday afternoon. We had to listen to them scream.
No matter how hard I try to see a better side to all of this, I can't. I miss Lottie, and I miss home. I miss the peace and quiet, and I've only been here a week.
Captain's trying to soothe Paul just now, but all he wants to do is run straight across No Man's Land and kill them all. We all know this is irrational, but the concept is tempting.

"Anyone for a game of cards?" Harry calls out from the opposite side of the trench. He is sat down with his legs crossed, clutching a travel pack of cards. It's the only thing he owns that hasn't been caked with dirt and blood.

He also has a talent for getting his timing wrong, because everyone just turns around and stares at him, thinking what an insensitive bastard he is. Cards however, sounds quite appealing, as I'm about to die of complete monotony. I hope we get some action soon.