New Kid in New Jersey

Coffee

So that's how it happened. That's how my parents split up, and that's why we decided to move over here, to New Jersey.

I hastily checked the clock on my cell. Half past nine. At night. I'd been sitting here for nearly two hours. I guess we weren't having dinner tonight, then. Getting up from my uneasy position was rather painful, due to the fact that I seemed to have cramp in practically every bone in my body. Once I was standing, rubbing my forehead, I made my way down the stairs and into the small kitchen.

Mom and Felicity were sitting at the wooden table. Mom had her legs crossed; a blue mug in front of her on the table, while Fliss was happily munching away on a chocolate-chip cookie.

"Hey, Frank." Mom said, looking up.

"Hi, Mom." I replied, pulling up another chair and slowly sitting down, with my head rested on the table. So tired. Damn, I could really do with some coffee right now. Felicity mumbled something which I couldn't quite hear, because cookie crumbs flew in all directions each time she attempted to open her mouth.

"Hey, Fliss." I smiled. She chuckled brightly in response, earning another few crumbs to be splattered onto my Smashing Pumpkins shirt.

"Sorry, Frankie..." She managed to say; keeping the cookie crumbs inside her mouth, this time.

Grumbling, I stood up and ambled over to the polished kitchen counter to make myself a cup of well-needed coffee.

"Come on, Felicity, time for bed now." Mom announced suddenly, once she'd downed the last of whatever her mug had in it.

"Oh, Mommy, why do I have to go to bed but Frank doesn't?" Fliss whined, screwing up her face and trying to look angry. Bless her.

"Because Frank is ten years older than you, Fliss, that's why." Mom casually replied.
Felicity growled and bared her tiny white teeth like a lion, pretending to have a temper tantrum.

Mom sighed, and swooped down on her daughter and picked her up into the air, holding Fliss over her shoulder. Felicity squealed, but then quickly scrunched up her face, evidently trying desperately hard not to smile. But almost straight away, her mouth broke into a wide, beaming smile, and I could hear her giggles and squeals of laughter in the hallway, as Mom tickled her playfully on their way upstairs to put Fliss to bed.
Everything is so much brighter when it's just us three.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry that I haven't updated in such a long time, and I know that it's really short. But thank you for all your amazing comments; every one of them means so much to me. <3