Come Around

Chapter Thirteen

Cassie had spent the last few days buried in work. She spent countless hours at the office, doing anything she could. And most of the time she was at home was used working on her article about The Used. The rest of her time was taken up by swimming laps or running. She had hardly slept since she'd been back and it was beginning to show.

"You look like hell, Cassie," Rian said when she walked in the house after work.

"Thanks," she said, heading for the stairs.

She disappeared upstairs and Rian sighed. He had been over every day and was beyond worried about his friend. It had been years since he'd seen her so upset.

When she finally came downstairs, she was dressed in her running clothes, Zune in hand and headphones already on. The volume was up so high that Rian could clearly hear what she was listening to. He gently grabbed her arm to get her attention and she took one of the headphones off so she could hear him.

"You need some sleep," he said.

"I'm fine," she said.

"No, Cassandra, you aren't fine."

She sighed, "I'll sleep after my run. I promise."

"You ran this morning. You need to sleep now," Rian said.

"I don't want to," she said.

Before Rian could say anything, the doorbell rang and Cassie used it as an excuse to escape. She pulled open the front door with the intention of slipping right by and letting Rian deal with whoever was there but the person behind the door stopped her.

"Cassandra Black?" he asked.

"Do I know you?" she asked.

"No, I'm just delivering these," he said and held a vase full of irises and lilies out to her.

"Who are they from?" she asked.

"Don't know," he said, "I just deliver them. There's usually card somewhere."

"Thanks," she said as he turned around and walked away.

Sighing, Cassie closed the door and walked to the kitchen, setting the flowers down. When she found the card, she slid it out of the envelope and read the small print.

I wish my youth was a valid excuse for everything I've done. Girl, please don't turn and run tonight. And I hope you know that I'm sorry. -Alex.

She looked up from the card and saw Rian watching her, "Did you tell him that these were my favorite flowers?" she asked.

"I might've mentioned that you never liked roses and you might appreciate something like those more," he said, scratching the back of his neck, "Are you mad?"

Cassie shook her head, "No, I'm not mad. I'm tired," she said, looking it even more than she had only a few minutes earlier. It was almost as though all the anger had left her and she could finally feel the toll the last few days were taking on her.

"Go take a nap," Rian said.

She slowly made her way up the stairs. When she got into her room, she fell on the bed and as soon and her head hit the pillows, she was asleep.

When she woke up, she had no idea what time it was, but it was dark outside. Cassie felt around for her phone and when she finally found it, she pressed the button on the side, making the screen light up. It blinded her slightly as she read the clock. Ten thirty seven.

She rolled out of bed and walked into her bathroom. Her eyes burned from sleeping with her contacts in. After removing them, she slid her purple framed glasses on and went downstairs, straight into the kitchen. The first thing she saw was a Pin the Tail on the Donkey hanging on the refrigerator, held up by magnets. There was a picture of Alex's head pasted over the donkey's head and magnetic tails just underneath the poster. Cassie walked over and placed a tail over each of Alex's eyes.

After taking a bottle of water from the refrigerator, she sat at the table, finding a note.

Cass- Went out with Rian. Didn't have a set plan. Don't know when I'll be back. Call either of us if you need anything. -Ang.

Cassie smiled at the paper and stood, grabbing her cigarettes and a lighter from her purse before going outside. As she closed the door behind her, she noticed a person sleeping on her porch swing. She shrugged to herself and sat on the step, lighting her cigarette as she did so.

After a few drags, she heard the person moving and she turned, putting her feet up on the step and leaning back against the rail.

"Hey," she said to him.

"Hey," he replied sleepily.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"I've been waiting for you to wake up," he said.

She placed the cigarette between her lips and inhaled deeply, "How long?" she asked.

"About five hours," he said, checking the time on his phone.

"You could've waited inside. I'm sure the couch is more comfortable than the porch swing."

He nodded, "It's a nice night. And besides, I didn't want to scare you," he said, "And I was also a little afraid you might beat me with the fire poker or something."

She smiled slightly, "Thanks for the flowers. They're beautiful," she said.

Alex stood and stretched before sitting on the porch, his feet on the step next to her, "I was an ass. I'm really sorry," he said, "I'm an idiot and I don't deserve your friendship."

She looked at him for a minute, "I believe you. I don't know if I should, but I do," she said.

Alex smiled and stared at his shoes, not saying anything. He didn't know what to say. And he was scared that if he did say anything, it would be the wrong thing.

"There's so much you don't know," she said, breaking the silence.

"Is there any chance you'd be willing to tell me about any of it?" he asked quietly.

Cassie nodded as she stubbed out her cigarette and stood up, "Do you want to go inside?" she asked.

"Sure," he said, standing. It was then that Cassie realized he was wearing the outfit she had made him try on when they went shopping.

"I don't think I even realized you bought that outfit," she said.

"Well you really liked it so..." he trailed off, playing with his hair.

She smiled and pushed her glasses up higher on her nose before turning and opening the door. He followed her inside and shut the door behind them, turning the lock.

"Are you thirsty?" she asked as he followed her into the kitchen.

"Wow," he said when he saw the Pin the Tail on the Donkey, "Right on the eyes," he said, "I hope that felt good."

Cassie laughed softly, "I think it would've been more satisfying if they weren't magnets," she said.

"Ouch. I guess I had that coming," he said.

She shrugged, "You want anything to drink?" she asked.

"Water is fine," Alex replied.

Cassie tossed an unopened bottle to Alex before grabbing hers from the table, "Here? Living room?" she asked.

"Doesn't matter," Alex said.

"Living room, it is," she said, "The couch is much more comfortable than these chairs."

Alex turned and walked back into the living room, taking a seat at one end of the couch. He sat with his back where the back of the sofa met the arm. Cassie took a seat on the other end, her back to the arm of the chair so she was facing Alex, her knees pulled up to her chest.

"Jeez," he said, looking at her, "You look so adorable in your glasses."

Cassie's whole face lit up, "You compliment me a lot," she said.

"Well, you deserve it."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello, hello everyone. I just wanted to say again that I really appreciate your comments on this story. You all are wonderful.

Also, if anyone was wondering, the note from Alex was lyrics from the song Expatriates and Survivors of Love, This Song is for You, by 2*Sweet.