Come Around

Chapter Sixteen

Saturday came faster than expected, in regards to having the party organized, but Angie and Cassandra decided to just wing it. Everything was in full swing by three thirty when Alex, Jack and Zack made their way into the girls' back yard. Cassie gave a small wave at Alex, which he returned, as did Zack. She gave him a polite smile but rolled her eyes as soon as she turned around, making her way over Rian, who was at the barbecue.

"I know I said I'd play nice with Zack, but if he says anything even remotely unkind, I can't be held responsible for punching him in the throat," she said.

Rian laughed, "Relax, girl. This is supposed to be fun, remember? Don't worry about Zack."

"You're letting this dude near an open flame?" Alex asked, coming up next to them.

"Better me than you, man," Rian said.

"Or worse," Cassie said, "Jack."

Alex laughed and looked at Cassie for minute before placing his hand on the small of her back and leading her away from Rian.

"Are we okay?" he asked when they were relatively alone.

The two had hardly spoken since the day he had tried to get her to go the party with him. She was never mad, but she had needed some space. Some time to clear her head.

Cassie smiled, "Of course. I just had a lot on my mind, I guess. And we'd been spending so much time together and, please don't take this the wrong way, it was a little suffocating. I just needed some time to myself."

"Alright," he said, nodding, "I didn't mean to make you feel that way."

"Don't even worry about it. I'm fine. I like hanging out with you, but I'm the kind of person who needs to be alone sometimes."

"Why didn't you just say that?" he asked and Cassie shrugged.

"Come on, let's go jump into the pool," she said, pulling her light blue sun dress over her head.

"Nice swimsuit," he said, his eyes traveling down her body, "Whoever picked that out must have incredible taste."

Cassie laughed. She was wearing the swimsuit he had bought for her. "Yeah, it's okay, I guess. If you like seeing a lot of skin," she said, walking around him toward the pool.

When she was in view of everyone, someone whistled loudly. Cassie and Alex both looked in the direction it had come from and saw Jack giving them two thumbs up.

Alex grinned and pulled his shirt off. He walked quickly to catch up with Cassie but when she heard his footsteps, she took off running and did a front flip into the deep end. Alex jumped in shortly after, almost landing on top of her. She surfaced first and took off swimming. She hadn't gotten far when his arms wrapped around her waist and he pulled her to him.

"Showoff," he said, a grin playing across his face.

Cassie smiled and tried to wiggle out of his arms, but he held onto her tightly.

"Where did you learn that?" he asked.

"I did gymnastics for six years," she said, still trying to get him to let her go.

"You could try asking me to let go."

"Will you let me go?" she asked.

"Mmm, nope," he said, "But nice try. When did you do gymnastics?" he asked.

"Why did you tell me to ask if you were just going to say no?"

Alex laughed, "I was just making a suggestion. Are you going to answer my question?"

"I started when I was four. Will you please let me go?" she asked.

"Why?"

"Why what?"

"Why do you want me to let you go?" he asked

Cassie looked Alex in the eyes, "Why don't you want to let me go?" she asked.

He shrugged, staring back into her eyes.

Cassie bit the inside of her lip and looked away, "Hey, if you let me go, I'll get us some drinks."

Alex sighed and released his hold on her and watched her swim away. She stepped out of the pool and grabbed a towel, wrapping it around herself on her way over to the ice chests.

After searching for little while, she finally came up with two drinks that would be acceptable and stood up. As she turned around, a tall boy with dark hair and pretty hazel eyes walked into the yard.

"Nicko!"

Nick smiled and wrapped her in a hug, "How's it going, girl?"

"Great, everything is fantastic. I'm glad you could make it," she said "Where are the rest of the guys?"

The words were barely out of her mouth when four more boys wandered outside.

"Peter! James! Jon! Ryyynooooooo!" she said excitedly, hugging each of them, "It feels like I haven't seen you guys in forever."

"Hey," Nick cut in, "You've got the All Time Low dudes here," he said, nodding at Zack, who returned the greeting.

"You know them?" she asked and he gave her a look, "Oh, I'm sorry, I forgot. You know everyone." she said, rolling her eyes.

Alex walked over and greeted the guys before turning to Cassie, "I didn't know you knew the Runner Runner guys," he said.

"Are you kidding?" Cassie said, handing one of the drinks to Alex, "I've known them since they were the Over It boys, when Seth was still in the band, Jon was in Rufio and Ryan was in Don't Look Down."

"Oh, excuse me," he said, taking a drink of his beer.

Cassie ignored his attitude and looked back at the guys, "How is Seth anyway? I haven't talked to him in awhile."

"He's good. He's really good," Nick said.

After awhile, the conversation broke off into many smaller conversations and people wandered off in different directions. Cassie kept herself busy making sure there was enough food and drinks for everyone, doing her best to keep bugs out of the food and trying to her best to mingle, something she was terrible at. It didn't take long for her start craving a cigarette.

She slipped inside the house and grabbed her cigarettes and lighter from her purse before going out the front door and sitting on the step. She was halfway through her cigarette when Peter sat next to her.

He grabbed her pack of cigarettes and slid one out. She flicked her lighter, holding it out to him. Leaning forward, he lit the cigarette.

"Why are you out here?" he asked.

Cassie waved her cigarette, "I would never hear the end of it from Angie," he said.

"She still does that?" he asked, laughing.

"Oh yeah," Cassie said, "She's pretty much made it her job to tell me that I'm going to die prematurely."

"Hmm," Peter nodded, "How do you know the All Time Low guys?" he asked.

"I've actually known Rian his whole life. Our parents live next door to each other. I hadn't seen him in a couple years because he got busy with the band, and I was living out here, but as chance would have it, I ended up interviewing them."

Peter laughed, "That's pretty crazy, how that worked out," he said, "And now Rian is dating Angie?" he asked and she nodded.

"Yeah, it's kind of cool that my best friends are dating. They seem really good for each other. But, you know, it's still early in their relationship. Anything can happen."

"Right you are," Peter said, "And what's up with you and Alex?"

"Just friends," Cassie said.

"That's it?" he asked.

"You were expecting a different answer?" she asked.

He shrugged, "You haven't dated anyone in awhile, right?" he asked and she nodded, "Maybe you should consider giving him a chance. Who knows what might come of it."

"I don't think we would be good together," Cassie said honestly.

Peter's eyebrow raised, "You'll never know for sure if you don't give it a shot," he said and she gave him a strange look, "Hey, I'm just saying," he said, smashing the butt of his cigarette and standing, "You'll never know," he repeated before disappearing back inside.

Cassie sighed a took a drink of her beer before taking another cigarette from the pack. She lit it and inhaled deeply, trying to rid herself of the frustration she was experiencing from not enjoying herself at her own party.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is boring and I'm sorry. Hopefully tomorrow's chapter will make up for the this one and the last one.

Out of curiosity, if I posted some stories I wrote about three years ago, would anyone consider reading them? It was supposed to be a series of three, one Mikey Way, one Gerard Way and one Frank Iero, but I never finished the Frank story, so I guess I would only be posting the Mikey story and the Gerard story, and even possibly finish the Frank story. They're pretty short. I think one is thirteen chapters and the other is fourteen. And I can't guarantee that they're good, but I just thought I'd see if anyone might be interested in them.