Come Around

Chapter Twenty One

"I wouldn't be hooking up with anyone if we were together," Alex said.

"But how do I know that?" Cassie asked.

He sighed and gently grabbed her shoulders, "Tell me, what makes you think I would lie to you? Why would I go around in circles with you over and over if all I was going to do was cheat on you once I finally had you? What sense would that make?"

"I don't know. None of this makes sense to me," she said.

"What isn't making sense?"

"Everything, Alex," she said, "I don't understand why you have put up with all the shit I've put you through. I've been such a bitch. I don't understand why you keep coming back for more. I don't understand why you were ever interested in me in the first place. And I don't understand why I drove all the way out here to see you when I didn't even know for sure if you'd be here and I don't even know what I want!"

Alex let go of her and laughed. Cassie couldn't believe it. He actually laughed.

"What's funny?"

"I just wish you would really listen to yourself. It all makes perfect sense to me," he said.

"Enlighten me, please," she said.

He shook his head, "You know exactly what you want, Cassandra. You may not realize it, but you do. You wouldn't have come here if you didn't. I know you well enough to know that."

Cassie sighed quietly and stared at the sand, not saying anything. Her mind was racing with thoughts but none she could put into words.

"Alright, look," Alex said, "The Runner Runner guys are having a party tonight. I know that parties aren't your thing, but you're already here so you might as well stay. And I know you don't like Zack, but he isn't my wingman tonight. I don't even know if he's coming," he paused, letting her absorb what he said and then asked, "Will you be my date? We can drink and dance and talk. It'll be fun."

"I'm not drinking," Cassie said.

"Why not?" he asked.

"Because I don't know if I'm pregnant or not," she said.

"I thought you said-"

"It's reduces chances of getting pregnant by eighty nine percent," she said, cutting him off, "Which means there's still an eleven percent chance that I could be pregnant. And that means I'm not drinking or smoking."

"But you'll go with me?" he asked, his tone hopeful.

"I'm also not sleeping with you later, because we see where that's gotten us," she said.

Alex laughed, "I wasn't asking you to. I just want to be lucky guy who has the prettiest girl at the party as his date."

Cassie rolled her eyes and smiled, "So you just want me to be your arm candy?"

"Not at all," he said, "I want every guy in the room to be jealous when I do this," he said, leaning in and kissing her.

She pulled back after a moment, "And who says you get to do that in front of everyone?" she asked.

Alex shrugged and started walking back to the Runner Runner house. Cassie walked next to him in silence. When they got there, they joined the boys, Cassie reclaiming her spot next to Peter, while Alex sat on the floor at her feet. She rested her head against Peter's shoulder and absentmindedly ran her fingers through Alex's hair.

"Dang Cassie," Nick said, "You're macking on two guys at once. Play on, playette."

She laughed, "Are you kidding? Peter's girlfriend would eat me alive if I even thought about hitting on him."

Peter nodded in agreement and everyone laughed. Conversations carried on and it wasn't long before the guys took turns getting things set up. When people started to arrive, Alex replaced Peter as Cassie's pillow and they talked quietly while the party went on around them.

The party was in full swing when Zack and Jack walked into the house, followed closely by Rian and Angie. When Cassie saw them, she jumped off the couch and went to greet them.

"Angelinaaaaa," she sang as she approached her friends, "How did Rian talk you into coming?" she asked.

She shrugged, "He's didn't really talk me into it," she said, "He mentioned it and I asked if he wanted to go, and then I asked if he wanted me to go with him. I figure he does enough of the things I want to do that I might as well do some of the things he likes to do too."

Cassie pretended to gag, "You guys sicken me. I'm not even kidding."

Rian laughed, "Someone's jealous," he said as he wrapped his arms around Angie from behind and planted a kiss on her cheek.

"Hardly," Cassie said, pretending to gag again.

"Why are you here?" Angie asked.

"Funny story," Cassie said, "I came to see the boys. I didn't even know they were having a party until I went to raid their refrigerator."

"Hilarious," Rian said, completely straight faced, "I'm going to go find something to drink," he said to Angie, "Do you want anything?"

Angie nodded, "Something without booze. I'm not picky."

Rian wandered off, leaving the girls by themselves. Angie looked at her friend skeptically, knowing there had to be more to it than just seeing the boys.

"You didn't tell me you were coming to see the boys. I would've come with you," she said.

Cassie sighed, "I didn't know I was coming," she said and Angie raised an eyebrow. "I was looking for Alex because he had been avoiding me, excuse me, giving me space, according to him. Jack told me that he might be here."

"So, you drove over half an hour to see him and you didn't even know for sure if he was here? Oh, you have it bad," Angie said.

"What?" Cassie said, "You're crazy. I just-"

She was cut off by a pair of arms wrapping tightly around her waist and lifting her off the ground. Her legs flew out in front of her, and she nearly kicked someone she didn't know in the back of the head. When she turned her head to see who had randomly assaulted her, she couldn't help but laugh.

"Jack attack!" they yelled at the same time.

A few people turned to look and he began to put her down. Her feet had just hit the ground when someone came up behind both of them and she heard a loud smack.

"Hands off!" Alex said and Jack dropped his arms from her waist.

"Shit, bro," Jack said, rubbing the back of his head before punching Alex in the shoulder.

"She's mine," Alex said calmly, holding a beer out to Cassie.

She shook her head, "I told you I'm not drinking," she said and pushed it away.

Jack took it as Rian found his way back to them and handed Angie a plastic cup, "Cranberry juice," he said then looked at Cassie, "Why aren't you drinking?" he asked.

Angie raised her eyebrow, curious as to what her excuse would be and Alex's eyes burned into the back of her head. Both girls knew I don't feel like it would not fly with these boys. Angie had the excuse of simply not drinking ever. But Cassie did not.

"Designated driver," she said, "Someone has to be able to drive home."

"You say that like the guys wouldn't let you crash here," Rian said.

Cassie shrugged, "I like my bed," she said and wandered off.

She had been gone for about half an hour when Alex finally found her in a somewhat quiet hallway. He wrapped his arms around her from behind and spun her around, placing a kiss on her lips. She could taste the beer on him as she returned the kiss and then gently pushed him away.

"Someone might see," she said quietly.

"Everyone is too busy drinking in the other room," he said, pulling her closer to him.

"But someone could come around the corner at any time," she said, reaching behind herself and unlatching his arms from her waist.

He groaned quietly, "Why do you have to keep me a secret?" he asked.

Cassie laughed softly, "How much have you had to drink?" she asked, "I'm not keeping you a secret. We're friends. You shouldn't be kissing me anyway."

He grinned, "You shouldn't be kissing back then," he said.

Cassie laughed again, "Touche."

They stood in silence and Alex leaned against the all, staring at her, "Can I ask you something?" he said.

"Sure."

"You said something earlier about Pete's girlfriend. I've met her and she's pretty much the nicest person ever. I can't imagine her getting mad over anything," he said, "So, why did you say that?"

Before Cassie had a chance to answer, Nick came up next to them. He clearly had a few drinks in him.

"That's easy," Nick said, "She knows that they slept together."
♠ ♠ ♠
This was supposed to be up yesterday but I didn't have time. Despite the fact that it was Mother's Day, I spent the better part of the afternoon at a car dealership an hour away, buying a car.