Come Around

Chapter Three

The entire house smelled like alcohol. It was overwhelming but probably unnoticed by the people who were already smashed. Cassie looked around, trying to find any familiar face. Jack had disappeared the second they stepped inside and Rian and Angie had gotten lost in the crowd not long after.

She sighed and wandered over to the table full of drinks. After scanning the selection, she grabbed a cold Corona and popped the top off with her bare hand before grabbing a wedge of lime and squeezing it inside the bottle. If she was going to be there, she was going to have to find a way to make it bearable.

"I would've taken you for more of a bitch-beer kind of girl," a voice said from behind her.

Cassie rolled her eyes and turned around to face him, "Really? Looks like you were wrong about me. But it would seem that I was completely right about you."

"Oh yeah?" he said.

"Yeah," she said, "You are the world's biggest dick."

"Hold on," he said, "Say that a little louder but change are to have."

She rolled her eyes again and walked away, taking a drink of her beer. Coming to this party was clearly the worst idea ever.

"Wait," he called, following her, "Cassie, come on. That was funny."

"No, it wasn't. Leave me alone," she said.

"Cassie," he said, catching her arm, "Look, I'm sorry."

Cassie laughed, "Yeah, okay. Whatever."

"I am," he said, "I'm a dick sometimes. A lot of people let me get away with it. Especially girls."

"Well, I'm not like everyone else. I don't let people treat me like shit. Now please let go of my arm before I break this bottle over your head."

Alex released his grip on her arm and she started to walk away, "Wait," he said, "Let me get your number."

She ignored him and continued toward the door. Cassie knew she needed to calm down and there had to be someone outside smoking who would let her bum a cigarette. As soon as she was outside, she saw a guy toss the butt of his cigarette and turn toward the house.

"Hey," she said, "Can I bum a cigarette?"

He pulled a pack out of his pocket and held it out to her, "Do you need a lighter?" he asked and she shook her head, pulling one out of her purse.

"Thanks," Cassie said as he walked back inside.

She sat on the step and lit the cigarette, inhaling deeply. There was nothing worse than letting people get to you the way she had let Alex get to her today. She was usually pretty good at shrugging it off but something about this kid put her on edge. She closed her eyes and took a drink of her beer then took a drag off the cigarette. Behind her, the door opened and closed again and someone sat down next to her.

"Seriously," he said, "Can I have your phone number?"

"Dude, you're harshing my mellow," Cassie said, eyes still closed.

"Give me your number and I'll leave you alone."

"You just don't quit."

"Not until I get what I want," he said.

She opened her eyes and looked at him, "And why would I want to give you my number when you've only been a total douche since we met this morning?" she asked.

"Because you think I'm cute," he said.

"Oh, I do?"

He nodded, "You definitely do."

"And what makes you think that?" she asked.

"I can just tell."

"That's interesting," she said, "But you're wrong."

"I said I'm sorry," he said, "What more do you want?"

Cassie looked at him, her bright green eyes looking straight into his dark brown eyes and took a drag off the cigarette, "Nothing," she said, blowing the smoke in the opposite direction.

"Nothing?"

"Nope. Nothing. I don't want anything from you at all. I don't want apology. I don't want to be friends. I don't even really want to be talking to you right now. Get it?" She said.

His face fell, "Seriously?"

She nodded, "Seriously."

"Wow," he said.

"What?" Cassie asked, "Not used to rejection?"

"No," he said, "Not at all. I always just flash my infamous smile and most girls will do whatever I ask them to."

"I'm not most girls," she said.

"Yeah, I noticed," he said, "I think that's why I was such a dick from the beginning. You're cute as hell but I could tell you were different. Feisty."

"Really?"

"Yes," he said, "Really."

"Hmm. That's sweet," she said, looking at him and smiling, "But I'm immune to flattery, just so you know. Your games won't work on me so you might as well just give up."

He sighed and just sat quietly next to her while she smoked her cigarette and drank her beer. She liked that she was in control and the fact that he knew it made it even better.

She smashed the butt of her cigarette and he broke the silence, "So, what's a guy gotta do to get in your good graces?" he asked.

Cassie couldn't believe it. How could he not understand the message she was very clearly sending him; leave me alone.

"Well, for starters," she said, "It helps a lot if he isn't a complete dick."

"Okay," he said, "What else?"

"Are you serious?" she asked and he nodded, "God, you're a persistent little fuck."

He nodded again, "I've been told that a time or two. Maybe not quite in those words, but like you've said a million times already, you're not like everyone else. So, come on, what else?" he said.

She sighed, "What makes you think you could even get in my good graces at this point?"

"Can I at least try?"

"I would really rather you didn't," Cassie said and he stared at the ground, "I'm too old for the mindfuck games you play."

He looked at her, "How old are you?" he asked.

"Twenty three," she said.

"That's only about two years older than me," he said.

"Yes, I know," she said, "But age is really just a number."

He looked confused, "So what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that the number of years doesn't matter. What matters is maturity level. And as far as I can tell, I'm significantly more mature than you are."

"You don't even know me," he said, "How can you logically back that conclusion?"

Cassie laughed, "Alex, seriously?" she said, looking at him, "This whole thing has been one huge game to you. You were a complete jerk from the second I met you, really even before I technically met you. You were being a jerk when I hugged Rian. And now you've had a drink or two and at some point you realized that I don't take shit from little boys in bands, and you decide to hit on me instead. Do girls seriously go for that?"

"Some do," he said, "Actually, a lot of them do."

She shook her head, "There is seriously something wrong with society today. If you really want to be in my good graces, it's not that hard. Don't play games. Don't be a dick. Just be yourself," she paused, "But I'm not sure you even know how to do that," she said.

He shrugged, "I'm not sure I do either. For two years, everyone has wanted me to be Alex from All Time Low. Maybe that's who I am now."

"That's unfortunate," Cassie said, standing up. It was time for her to find Angie and go home. She really didn't want stay any longer.

"Where are you going?" he asked.

"To find Angie and get the hell out of here," she replied.

"Your friend? She left with Rian awhile ago," he said.

"Fantastic," she said, "Rian can take her home then. I'm leaving."

"Wait, Cassie," he said.

Cassie sighed, suddenly exhausted, "What?"

"Can I please have your phone number?" he asked.

"No," she said.

"I said please," he said.

She laughed a little, "I'm not going to make it that easy for you. You have to work for everything at this point, Alex." she said before turning and walking to her car.