Come Around

Chapter Thirty Seven

"So, wait, you're saying that you and Alex have been together for almost six months and neither of you have dropped the L word?"

Cassie sighed and pulled her phone away from her ear for a second, suddenly regretting the conversation she had gotten into with Peter.

"That's exactly what I'm saying," she said, walking over to the airport baggage claim.

Summer and fall had both come and gone. The boys were almost finished recording and had returned home for most of the month of December to spend time with their families and friends. After a little bit of encouragement from both Rian and Alex, Cassie took three weeks off work to also go home and see her family. Angie was also there, leaving a few days before Cassie in order to be with Rian on their six month anniversary.

"And you're okay with that?" he asked.

"I'm just fine with that."

"You don't think that after six months of being together that you two should be saying you love each other?"

Cassie sighed again. The large conveyor belt started moving and she watched carefully for the bandanna she had tied to her bag. Before answering Peter, she pulled the phone from her ear again and looked at the time, wondering when Alex was supposed to be picking her up.

"I know what I feel for Alex. And he knows what he feels for me. And just because we don't say it, doesn't mean that we don't show it. And really, the fact that he and I have lasted this long with the way our personalities have been known clash should speak so much louder than either one of us saying some silly four letter word," she said.

"But how do you know what he feels for you and vice versa?" Peter asked, "I mean, I've seen you two together and you aren't the most affectionate couple. If I didn't already know you were together, I wouldn't know you were together."

Cassie laughed, "I'm not one for PDA. But I can tell how he feels by the way he looks at me and they way we are behind closed doors. I honestly don't need a little word to validate anything."

"Really? Are you sure? I just can't get my head around this."

"Think about it this way. It's so much harder to fake a feeling than it is to speak a lie. Anyone can say that they love someone else. It's how you show it that really makes it true."

"Okay, I see the point you're making. I guess I just don't really get the concept. Does that make sense?" he asked.

"Yeah, it does," she said, feeling a pair of arms wrap around her waist.

She looked up to see Alex and he kissed her forehead. She smiled at him then turned her attention back to the baggage claim, pointing at her bag as it came toward them. Alex let go of her pulled her duffel off the belt.

"Peter, I have to go. Alex is here. Thanks for keeping me company while I waited for him," she said.

"Any time, doll. Have fun," he said.

"That's the plan. Talk to you later," she said and hung up.

Cassie slid her phone into her pocket and turned around. Alex immediately dropped her bag and wrapped his arms around her again, lifting her off the ground and pressing his lips to hers.

"I missed you," he said into her lips and kissed her again.

She smiled against his mouth and placed a soft kiss on his lips as he put her down, "I missed you too," she said, "It's kind of funny though, I was just telling Peter that I'm not really into PDA."

Alex laughed, "I know you aren't. But I couldn't help myself. Two weeks away from you seemed like forever."

"It's okay," Cassie said, taking his hand as he slung her duffel bag over his shoulder and started walking toward the exit.

The winter air stung Cassie's skin. It had been a few years since she'd been in Maryland during the cold season and she didn't own a proper winter coat. When they reached his car, Alex threw Cassie's bag in the trunk as she slid into the passenger seat. Alex got in and started the car, leaning over to kiss Cassie yet again before pulling out of the parking space.

"You know where you're going?" she asked.

"Rian's house?" he asked.

"Well, next door to the left, but yes, basically."

Alex laughed, "I've been to Rian's house a million times. I would say there's a problem if I don't know how to get there."

"Alright," Cassie said, holding her hands up defensively, "I was just asking."

He looked over and shot her a grin, "So are you excited to be home?" he asked.

She shrugged, "I guess. I don't really have any friends here, so I'm just seeing my family. And don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see them. It's been awhile."

"You get to spend time with me!" he said.

Cassie laughed, "Yes, yes I do."

"And I'll introduce you to my friends. If you want to meet them, that is."

"Of course I do," she said, "What would make you think I wouldn't?"

Alex shrugged, "I just didn't know," he said.

They both grew silent and Alex reached over and turned the music on. Cassie smiled as one of her favorite Jimmy Eat World songs came through the car speakers. She quietly sang along until Alex pulled up in front of her house.

"My parents are home," she said, noting both of their cars in the driveway, "Do you want to come in and meet them? No pressure. We can say goodbye now and you can drive off if you want."

Alex smiled as he unbuckled his seat belt, "I'll go inside," he said, reaching for the door handle.

After he grabbed her duffel from the trunk, he followed her to the front door and into her parents' house. As the door clicked shut, they heard footsteps on the hardwood floor.

"Cassandra, is that you?" a feminine voice called out.

It wasn't long before the woman the voice belonged to appeared in front of them and wrapped Cassie in a warm embrace. When they let go of each other, she turned and smiled.

"And you must be Alex," she said.

"Yes maam," Alex said extending his hand, "It's nice to meet you."

"Oh, stop with the maam nonsense. It's Tina," she said warmly as she shook his hand. "Cassie has told her father and me so much about you."

"Good things, I hope," Alex said, shifting awkwardly.

Tina laughed, "Mostly yes. But we understand that everyone has faults so we're not holding anything against you, yet," she said and Alex laughed nervously.

"Where's Daddy?" Cassie asked, reaching for Alex's hand and giving it a gentle squeeze.

"He's in the kitchen," Tina replied.

Cassie kept her hold on Alex's hand and led him to the kitchen. His feet dragged slightly as his nerves got the better of him. Realizing this, Cassie stopped and turned to him, pressing a soft kiss to his lips and offered a reassuring smile when she pulled away.

"Hi Daddy!" she squealed as they entered the kitchen, dropping Alex's hand and jumping into her father's outstretched arms.

When he put her down, his eyes fell to Alex and his expression grew hard, "Who's this?" he asked.

"Daddy, this is my boyfriend, Alex," she said.

"And what exactly are your intentions with my daughter, young man?" he asked, his tone almost as hard as his expression. The color drained from Alex's face and he looked at Cassie. "Don't look at her. Look at me and answer, boy."

"I, uhh, I," he stuttered, his face showing the panic that was quickly rising inside of him. But still, her father's face remained hard.

"Daddy, stop it! You're scaring him," Cassie said, moving toward Alex and grabbed his shaking hand, "Relax, he's just messing around," she said quietly.

Alex stared at Cassie for a moment and she smiled, giving his hand a squeeze. When he finally looked back at her father, his expression had softened greatly.

"I'm Sam," he said, extending his hand to Alex, "I didn't mean to scare you. I just like to give people a hard time."

Alex reached out and shook Sam's hand and his body relaxed noticeably, "That must be where your daughter gets it from."

Sam grinned, "I taught her everything she knows."

"He's lying," Cassie said, grinning.

"Sweetie," Tina said, finally joining them in the kitchen, "We're having dinner with the Dawsons tomorrow night, so don't make any plans," she said and Cassie nodded, "And Alex, if you don't already have plans, you're welcome to come too, if you'd like."

"I would love to," Alex said.

"Has Rian been over to see you guys yet?" Cassie asked.

"A few times. In fact, he came over last night and brought Angie with him. It was so nice to see her again. She's such a sweetheart," Tina said.

"Yes, that's why I love her so much. Well, I'm going to show Alex around the house and get settled," Cassie said, pulling Alex out of the kitchen and back toward the front door where he'd dropped her bag.

She led him up the stairs and into her room. He dropped her duffel in an empty corner and sat on the edge of her bed. She stood directly in front of him and looked down, pushing his hair out of his eyes.

"Are you okay?" she asked and he nodded, his hands finding their way to her hips.

"I was really terrified of your dad for a minute there," he said quietly.

"I know. I'm sorry about that," she said, leaning down and kissing his forehead and then his lips.

His heart jumped and began beating faster. As he felt her getting ready to pull away, his hold on her hips tightened and her hands found their way to his face. He kissed her with passion, wishing it would never end. But it did. She finally pulled back, but her hands stayed where they were, as did his and his eyes met hers.

"I want you to meet my mom."
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! I decided not to write about The Used's visit because it really wouldn't have been important to the storyline and skipped ahead a few months again because I have big plans in mind.

Well, that and, I was reading some other Alex Gaskarth stories and getting a little discouraged because they seemed so much more interesting than mine.

I really appreciate all of you and the comments you leave. I like hearing people's thoughts on the characters and the events that take place.