Come Around

Chapter Forty Three

"I'm just looking out for my boy," Matt said with a shrug.

"Excuse me?" Cassie replied.

"You heard me," he said.

"What the fuck?" she yelled, "I've only had two beers the whole night and I'm sober. Alex is completely trashed and still drinking. Why is my loyalty being called into question here?"

"That's exactly why, Cassie. You're sober and he's trashed. He wouldn't know if you did anything," Matt said.

Cassie scoffed, "This is fucking bullshit. When have I ever given off the impression that I would cheat on Alex, especially with one of his friends at his birthday party? Again, I'm not the one who's drunk," she said.

"So, you're saying you don't trust him?"

"No, I'm not saying that at all. I would be glued to his side if I didn't trust him," she growled.

Matt laughed dryly, "Do you have any idea how many of those girls in there he's fucked around with?" he asked.

"Yeah Matt, I have a pretty good idea," she said, "You're such a fucking prick when you're drunk."

Before he could say anything else, she turned and walked back into the house, dropping the coats she wore next to the door. Her eyes scanned the room for Alex, her blood now boiling. When she didn't find him, she made her way to another room. His eyes met hers across the room and his whole face lit up.

"Heeeey," he slurred when she walked up to him.

"Give me your keys," she demanded.

Alex stuck his hand in his pocket and pulled out his keys, handing them over to Cassie without argument. His face fell when she turned without a word and started to walk away.

"Where are you going?" he called after her.

She turned to face him again, "I'm leaving. I don't want to be here anymore," she said, turning away again.

"Wait!" Alex said, stumbling toward her and catching her wrist, forcing her to turn toward him once more, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she said, looking anywhere but his eyes, "I just want to go home and sleep."

"I may be more intoxicated than I have ever been before, but I can tell when something's wrong, Cassandra, and when you're not being honest with me," he said, managing to sound surprisingly sober.

She opened her mouth to say something but closed it when she saw Matt standing near them, watching her closely. She knew he only did what he did and said what he said because he was drunk. Not wanting to put any strain on Alex and Matt's friendship, she quickly decided not to say anything about it.

"Some guy was being a dick," she said, "It's nothing. I just don't want to deal with him."

"What guy?" Alex asked.

Cassie shrugged, "I don't know. Just some dude," she said, "It upset me but I'm probably overreacting."

Alex grinned and pulled Cassie toward him, "Don't leave because of him. I'll make you feel better," he said, his hands sliding across her stomach to her hips before finding their way into her back pockets.

"You're drunk," she said so quietly that she didn't think he would hear.

"And yet surprisingly good with my hands, lips and other body parts," he mumbled into her ear.

She sighed softly and rested her forehead against his shoulder, letting her body relax a little. Her breath caught in her throat when his lips found her neck and he sucked her skin into his mouth. One of his hands left her pocket, sliding up to the small of her back and pulling her body closer to his.

His lips made their way up her neck and back down her jaw line. He was centimeters away from her mouth when she spoke.

"Not here, Alex," she said quietly.

"We can take it upstairs," he said, "Matt saved a room for us to crash in because he knew I would be way too fucked up to go home."

"Are you ready to be done for the night?" she asked, "I'm not letting you leave me once we go up there."

"Not quite, but I can continue that upstairs as well," he said, taking Cassie's hand and leading her toward the kitchen.

He found four empty cups and began pouring Jack Daniels into them. Cassie gave him a questioning look and a light bulb seemed to go on in his head.

"You and Rian and your fucking Captain Morgan," he said, putting down the whiskey and reaching for the rum.

When he finished, he handed two cups to Cassie, grabbing the other two for himself and led the way out of the kitchen. He stumbled a little when they reached the stairs but somehow managed not to spill his drinks.

"Fuck," he said when they got to the room, "I didn't think about unlocking the door. Here, hold this."

Cassie took one of the cups from him and he dug into his pocket. After a moment, he pulled a key out and began to attempt to slide it into the lock. A few unsuccessful tries later, Cassie was unable to keep a straight face.

"You really are fucked up, Alex. Take this," she said, holding a cup out and taking the key from him.

She carefully balanced two cups in one hand and easily unlocked the door, pushing it open. Alex stumbled in first and she followed, shutting the door behind them and making sure to lock it. She set the key and her cups on the dresser just before Alex's lips crashed into hers and their bodies collided with such force that she stumbled backward, her back slamming against the wall.

Hours later, Cassie awoke and looked around the room. Their clothes were everywhere. The plastic cups were empty and lay knocked on their sides on the dresser and night stands. Her eyes felt dry and she lifted her hands to rub them. She immediately regretted this decision when she realized she had fallen asleep with her contacts in. Sighing quietly to herself, she reached for her phone that was on the night table, wiggling as carefully as she could in an attempt to loosen the death grip Alex had around her waist without waking him.

She finally felt her phone and closed her hand around it, picking it up and hitting a button, lighting up the screen and revealing the time to her. She groaned quietly when she saw it had only been a few hours since she and Alex had fallen asleep. As she was trying to reposition herself, she heard a groan behind her and felt the arms around her waist cut her some slack.

"Holy fuck, am I glad it's you I'm waking up naked with," he mumbled when she rolled over to face him.

Cassie let out a quiet laugh, "Do you remember anything from last night?" she asked and he shook his head, rubbing his eyes at the same time. "Are you still drunk?" she inquired.

"Yeah, I think so," he said, "Did you have fun last night?" he asked.

"Of course," she said, snuggling closer to him and resting her head on his chest.

"Are you lying to me?" he asked, gently untangling her hair as he ran his fingers through it.

She sighed, "I just got a little upset because someone was being a jerk. That's actually how we ended up here," she said.

"Trust me, we would've ended up here regardless," he said and she smiled, pressing a kiss to his bare chest, "Who was it?" he asked.

"I don't know. It doesn't matter. I don't care anymore," she said.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Positive," she said, "Can we leave? I want to go home and shower."

"My mom will beat my ass if I come home still drunk," he said.

Cassie laughed, "I'm not surprised. You can come to my house. My parents won't care," she said.

They got up and got dressed, neither in a huge rush since they were both still tired. As they walked down the stairs, Cassie heard someone behind them and turned to see Matt.

"Morning Matty," she said, trying to sound pleasant without giving away that it was forced.

"Morning," he mumbled sleepily, "Leaving already?" he asked when Alex and Cassie turned to their right as they reached the bottom of the stairs.

"Fuck, not without my keys," Alex mumbled, feeling around his pockets and finding nothing, "And my phone."

He walked past Cassie and Matt, making his was back up the stairs. Cassie stared at the wall, the ceiling, the floor, anywhere but Matt, hoping he wouldn't say anything. But luck was not on her side and as soon as he was sure Alex was out of earshot, he spoke.

"I feel like a jackass," he began.

"Save it, Matt. I don't want to hear it," she said, "You were way out of line last night. But I'm taking into consideration that you had been drinking all night. And I've decided I'm going to do you a favor and not say anything to Alex about it."

"Why?"

"Because it's just not worth starting shit over. You and Alex have been friends for too long to let something stupid ruin it. I know you wouldn't have done or said what you did if you weren't drunk, so for the sake of your friendship, I'm going to let it go, no hard feelings."
♠ ♠ ♠
I love you all. =)