Come Around

Chapter Five

"People seem to like Alex from All Time Low," Alex said.

Cassie sighed, "Do the people who matter like him, or just all your little fan girls?"

He scratched his head, "I don't know."

"I understand that there's pressure to be a certain way in the scene you're in. With as many bands as I've interviewed, that's one thing I've learned. But I also know that there's a time and a place for that attitude. Leave it on stage at the end of the night. Don't go around treating people like garbage just because you think you can. People will only put up with it for so long," she said, then added, "I'm not trying to tell you how to live your life. If you're happy with who you are when you're Alex from All Time Low, then by all means, continue being that guy. Just don't be surprised when you find yourself alone and lonely when you go to sleep at night. That's all I'm saying."

He stood there quietly. He wasn't really upset, more unsure of what to say to her. He knew, deep down, that he was losing who he used to be to the person the band and his ego were making him become. But in a way, he kind of liked it.

Cassie took her towel from him and spread it out on the sand and sat down. Alex looked around then sat next to her but still didn't say anything.

The waves had begun to hypnotize Cassie when his voice made her jump slightly, bringing her back to reality, "So, are you saying that you would give Alex Gaskarth a chance?"

"I might consider it," she said, turning to look at him.

"What's that mean?" he asked.

She shrugged, "It's my noncommittal reply."

"Are you afraid of commitment?"

"Not at all," she said, "Are you?"

He shrugged, "The only thing I've really ever had to commit to was the band. I'm in a different city every night for nine months of the year. That makes it really easy to not commit to a girl, or a home, or anything other than playing music."

"Do you ever get tired of that though? Not playing music, but being a nomad. I mean, I know you're still young, but do ever get the urge to settle down?" she asked.

"Not yet," he said, "I love the life I'm living. I get to hang out with my best friends and play music all the time, I get to sing, I get to meet new people every day and occasionally I find someone who is worth actually getting to know. And then I get to have friends all over the country, so no matter where I am, it's like I'm always home."

Cassie smiled and looked out at the water. She almost liked that he was opening up and acting like an actual human, not some egotistical rock star.

"Man, this is great stuff," she said and looked back at Alex, "I heard you wanted a do over on the interview. Can I use this in the article?"

He looked confused, "You didn't record any of it," he said.

"That's okay. I have a mind like a steel trap. I'll remember all of this, word for word."

"Alright, yeah, sure. You can use it. And now I want to ask you something," he said.

"Shoot," she said, nodding.

"Can we start over?" he asked.

"And how do you suggest we go about that?" she asked.

He smiled, "Well, I'll give your keys back to you and you can leave, or go lay in the sun or whatever it is you want to do. Then tomorrow morning, Cassandra Black can meet Alex Gaskarth for coffee. No games," he said.

"What, like a date?"

"No," he said, "Not a date. Just two people getting to know each other."

"Why are you so determined to get to know me?" she asked, her curiosity finally getting the better of her.

"You're different from everyone else I meet," he said, "I mean, you didn't let me get away with the things most people do and you called me out on my shit, all of it. No one does that. And I think it's cool that you did."

Cassie smiled, "Alright. Coffee tomorrow morning," she said, "Ten, at the same place we did the interview?"

"Sounds good," Alex said.

She stood up and Alex handed her keys back to her before also standing and giving her towel to her, "My shirt," she said.

"Honestly, you don't need it, Cassie."

She rolled her eyes and the two walked back to where everyone was. Angie and Rian saw them coming and walked over to meet them. The looks on their faces gave away the fact that they had been speculating about what had been going on.

"Where did you guys go?" Rian asked when they were within ear shot.

"He stole my keys and my shirt so I couldn't leave. Then he kidnapped me because you guys weren't around to save me and he took me to a deserted part of the beach and tried to touch me inappropriately," Cassie said with a completely straight face.

Alex laughed, "Only part of that is true," he said.

"Which part isn't true?" Rian asked, "The part where she said you tried to touch her inappropriately? You actually did and she liked it, huh?"

Alex and Rian both laughed and high fived each other. As hard as Cassie tried not to, she let out a small giggle, shaking her head. When they calmed down, she reached over and smacked Alex in the stomach and then hit Rian in the chest.

"Ow!" Alex howled.

"You guys are jerks," she said, still laughing.

Rian laughed, "But you still love me!"

"And you're lucky I do," she said then looked at Angie, "I really should get home and get back to work on that article. Are you coming with me, or did you want to stay for awhile."

"Um, I'll go with you," Angie said.

Everyone said goodbye and the girls started walking to the car. Cassie was getting her stuff out of the trunk when she heard someone calling her name. She looked up and saw Alex jogging toward her.

"Your shirt," he said, handing her the tank top he had taken.

She laughed and pulled it over her head, "Thanks."

He nodded, "And one last thing before you go," he said.

"What's up?"

"Can I have your phone number?"

"No," Cassie said.

"No?" he asked, looking and sounding very confused.

"No," she repeated, "Not yet. We'll see how tomorrow morning goes and take it from there."

He sighed, "You really aren't going to make this easy for me, are you?" he asked and she shook her head, "Alright. You drive a hard bargain, Miss Black."

"I sure do," she said, "And don't you forget it."

"You make it hard to," he said before turning and walking back toward the beach, "See you in the morning," he called.

Cassie shut the trunk and slid into the driver's seat. Angie was staring at her, "You're seeing Alex tomorrow morning?" she asked.

"Yeah, he talked me into it," Cassie said, starting the car.

"How?" she asked, clearly confused, "I thought you didn't want anything to do with him. What happened when you two disappeared?"

"I told him again how much I dislike Alex from All Time Low. And, I don't know, maybe he got it or something because he opened up and told me who Alex Gaskarth really is," Cassie shrugged, "Seems like an okay guy."

"You like him!" Angie said and Cassie shook her head, "You're starting to. You think he's cute. I can tell. Don't even try to lie to me Cass, I know you too well. You haven't been interested in a guy in so long. This is exciting," Angie rambled.

"You sound like a teenager," Cassie said, smiling slightly.

"Who cares," she said.

Cassie laughed, "So what's up with you and my friend Rian?" she asked, changing the subject.

Angie shrugged, "I don't know. He seems like a really nice guy. And I so far I like hanging out with him. But," she shrugged again, "That's about it, I guess."

"Did he ask for your phone number?" she asked and Angie nodded. "He seems interested," Cassie said.

"You think?" she asked.

Cassie looked over at her. She was trying to hide a smile.