Be Seeing You

Uncles and cookie crumbs.

"Mikey. Mikey, are you serious?!?"
"Well, yeah man, I mean, she took that test thing... or whatever..."
"Ray, Ray!" Gerard shouted, deafening his friend.
"What, what?!?" Ray asked, concerned about Gerard's mental state. But then again, who wasn't?
"Mikey! Alicia! Baby!"
"Whoa! Dude, are you serious?"
"I know! I'm gonna be an uncle, Ray, an uncle!!!"
"I know!"
"Uh.. guys..." Mikey felt a bit embarrassed by his friends' reactions. He couldn't blame them, though; he'd been equally excited. "Hey, Gerard, um, where are you?"
Alas, Mikey's question was left unanswered. Between Ray's high-pitched, excited voice and Gerard's (strange) laughter, Mikey couldn't get a word in.
"Uh, okay, I'll call you guys later, I guess." Mikey sighed, flipping his phone closed. He sat down on the stairs, perplexed at his current state of affairs. On the one hand, he had told them the good news; but on the other, he still hadn't mentioned the whole 'quitting the band' part. He hugged his legs, resting his chin on his knees. He sighed, dreading the time when he would have to call back and tell Gerard and the others. He had thought about going on tour, but what if we couldn't get back in time and missed the birth of his first kid?
Mikey's thought went back and forth as he argued with himself. Eventually, he fell asleep right there on the landing, curled up on the floor, his black-and-grey striped hoodie pulled tight around him. When morning came, he was awoken by an oddly familiar voice and a sharp kick in the back.
"Hey. Wake up."
Mikey's eyes opened slowly, not yet accustomed to the morning light. A black silhouette toward over him.
"Mikey? What the hell're you doin' here?"
Mikey's eyes widened with shock. He knew that voice. He only wished he wasn't Michael Way at the moment.
"Matt."

***

Gerard and Ray walked into the hotel lobby, hoping they wouldn't be seen by anyone they knew, especially Worm. They were told not to leave the hotel without him. They were just about to walk into the elevator when Gerard spotted one of the receptionists, a ginger haired girl about his height, maybe a bit shorter. She wasn't the image of beauty or anything, but she was cute. She was struggling with an immense tray of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies, heading toward the front desk. Being the casanova he thought he was, he ran to her aid.
Ray watched the scene unfold, as if in slow motion. Gerard tripped over his own feet, knocking the poor girl forward, cookies flying everywhere. Ray jumped and slid on his side, catching the girl in his arms, her eyes tightly shut, still waiting to hit the marble tile. Her short ginger hair fell across her pale, slightly freckled face. Ray looked at her name tag. 'Amber... That's a cool name,' thought Ray.
Amber's azure eyes opened, a confused look on her face. She looked up at her savior, a friendly looking man with brown, curly hair. She blushed, embarrassed at her current state. She looked down, wondering what to do next.
Ray loosened his arms, letting Amber clamber onto the floor. He stood up, looking down at her; she was considerably shorter than him.
"Umm... um... thank you." Amber brushed the cookie crumbs off her dark green uniform.
"No problem. I'm Ray."
Amber looked at him; she didn't think she'd ever met such a nice, friendly person. He seemed genuinely happy to have helped her; he wasn't just trying to look 'cool', although that heroic floor-slide seemed to say otherwise. Ray smiled his perfect smile.
"Oh, nice to meet you. My name's--"
"Amber. I know. I read your name tag," Ray informed her. He was unfazed by her nervousness.
"Oh, haha, well, I better clean up this mess..."

Gerard looked on with an angry expression, his hair full of cookie crumbs, the tray flipped upside down, somehow balancing on his head. He watched as Ray conversed with the girl. His angry expression faded into a look of fascination. He looked at her hair; it was straight and came to the middle of her neck, held out of her face by a small yellow clip. She had a cute smile, and a small nose. A few freckles dotted her cheeks. He wanted to get to know her, that was true. How could he, when he'd just made an idiot of himself? He wanted to stomp out of the lobby and away from the hotel, embarrassed by his clumsiness and angry at Ray. However, he decided to be the better man and apologize. He shook his hands through his hair, trying to get the crumbs off. He stood, walking nervously toward them.

"I'm really sorry about that..." Gerard hoped she wasn't angry with him. It would seriously interfere with his plan.
"Oh. Um, it's okay, I mean, it's not like you did it on purpose."
"Yeah, Gerard's just a klutz!" Ray laughed. Gerard scowled at him; Ray took no notice.
"Um, anyway, could I maybe make it up to you? I dunno, maybe we could go for a drink or something, or a movie, if your into that." He wiped his sweaty palms on his pants. Ray glanced at him. Gerard had recently been unengaged. Wasn't it a little early to start dating? Then again, Gerard had seemed quite happy about the whole break-up. And Gerard would have to leave tomorrow anyway, so it couldn't turn into anything serious, anyway; But since when was he taking girls out for movies? He sounded like a dorky high school kid. Ray felt awkward standing there, so he walked over to the elevator and waited for Gerard.
Amber felt her face heat up. Was he asking her out? She didn't even know him. Then again, she didn't really have anything to do that night. He wasn't that bad on the eyes, either, though his hair looked like it could use a good washing. She cleared her throat and tucked a lose hair behind her ear.
"Um, I'd like that, actually." She stated in a matter-of-fact kind of way.
"Really? Okay, cool. I'll see you later, then," Gerard said, licking his bottom lip as he always did. "What time do you finish here?" He hoped he didn't sound lame.
"Seven. Be seeing you." Amber smiled as she grabbed a broom from behind the counter and started sweeping the broken cookies.
Gerard felt a pang if guilt as he watched her sweep the now disfigured cookies. He decided to leave and let her do it herself; he didn't want to mess anything up now, not after she'd agreed to go on a date with him. He turned on the spot and walked towards the elevator, where he saw rather short man with dark hair and many tattoos in place of Ray.
"Hello, Gerard Way."
"Hey, Frank. Guess who just scored a date?"
"Hm. Well, I know it's not you - 'cause I mean, let's be serious here --" but Frank's sentence was cut off buy a friendly punch in the stomach. He flinched, caught off-guard.
"Ha-ha, Frank. Now shut up and lets go to the room and order pizza or something. We must celebrate this momentous occasion." Gerard and Frank stepped into the empty elevator. As the doors shut, Frank thought of a good come back for being told to "shut up".
"Oh, you mean the occasion of finally getting a girl to talk to you?"
"No, fool. I'm gonna be an uncle."
Frank smiled.