Class is Now in Session

Fun at the Club

We pulled up in front of a big, black building that resembled a warehouse. I actually think it used to be a warehouse before it was turned into a club. The outside walls were stone that looked like they had been painted. There were no windows. There was a big, red neon sign that hung above the door that red Hellfire surrounded by neon flames. Near the front door, there was a blood red carpet and a bouncer standing in front of the door, checking people before they went in.
"This is it, come on," I said, getting out of the car. Everyone followed me up to the bouncer.
"Hey Lestat," I said to the black clad bouncer with realistic fangs.
"Well, if it isn't Countess Lucidia," he said, a small smile parting his black lips. "I haven't seen you around here in ages."
"I know, I've missed this place," I replied. "Lestat, you remember Lady Nocturna?" I said, gesturing to Lucy. She came out from behind me.
"How could I forget her?" he said, smiling at Lucy, too. "How've you girls been?"
"Pretty good. We were bored so we brought some friends here with us." I gestured to the guys standing behind me.
"Did you dress them?" Lestat asked, looking Billie, Mike, and Tre' up and down.
"Yes, yes I did."
"You did a good job," Lestat said, giving a nod of approval. "Why don't you guys go on in?"
"Thanks, Lestat." I pushed past him with my four friends in tow. I led them down the dark hallway that led to the main dance floor and bar. When we reached it, we were greeted by deafening music coming from the dj booth.
"Ready to have some fun?" I yelled over the pulsing music.
"You bet your ass I am!" Lucy screamed. She ran into the middle of the dance floor and was swallowed up by the masses of black clad people.
"I'm going to the bar," Billie said. I was left with Mike and Tre'.
"Now what?" Mike asked. I could barely hear him over the music.
"I'm gonna go find Lucy," I said. "Wanna join me?"
"I will!" Tre' said, grabbing my arm and pulling me into the crowd. I looked back and saw Mike chasing after us. We found Lucy dancing with a guy covered in leather.
"Lucy!" I screamed. She turned in the direction of my voice and gave me a smile.
"Carrie, this is Quinn!" she said, pointing to her leathery companion. "Quinn, these are my friends Carrie and Tre'!"
"Lovely to meet you two," Quinn said in a distinguished British accent. He bent down and kissed my hand. "And would you like me to call you Carrie and Tre'? Or do you prefer another name?"
"Well, you can call me either Carrie or Countess Lucidia," I told him.
"And you can just call me Tre'," Tre' said, trying to be friendly.
"Very well," Quinn said calmly, "Would you like to join me for some Snakebite and black?"
"Sure, let's go," Lucy said. She started following Quinn over to the bar.
"Snakebite and black?" Tre' asked me.
"It's a drink," I said. "Pretty good one, too." Snakebite and black was one of the only alcoholic drinks that I could stand. It was beer and hard apple cider mixed with a shot of raspberry cordial. I generally don't like beer, so I usually leave it out. Nixing the beer makes it taste better, too, in my opinion.
We were greeted at the bar by Billie Joe, Mike, Quinn, and Lucy. Billie and Mike both seemed a little wary of Quinn and Lucy's teeth were already stained red from the snakebite and black. Then I remembered that Lucy said that she'd never drink again, after, ahem, puking on Tre's shoes. I made a point to talk to her about it when she could actually hear me. Unless, of course, she was too drunk and I had to take care of her again.
"Hey," I said, sitting down on the empty stool next to Billie.
"Hey Carrie, who's the guy with Lucy?" he asked, pointing over his shoulder to Quinn.
"Uh, his name's Quinn and they just met, from what I can gather," I said, staring at the pair of them. Lucy was giggling at something Quinn had whispered in her ear. How she could hear him, I have no idea.
"I have a bad feeling about him," Mike said, standing behind me.
"I don't entirely trust him either, but I've decided to wait and see what this guy is like before I condemn him to hell," I said, tearing my eyes away from them. "I say we butt out, at least for right now, and let Luce handle her own choices."
"I guess you're right," Billie said. He held up his hand and the bartender got him another drink.
"You're already starting a tab here?" I said, watching him sip the dark liquid inside the glass.
"This is only my second drink," he responded, taking another sip.
"Don't drink too much," I warned, "remember what happened last time?"
"At least I threw up in the toilet."
"Be that as it may, you could've missed and hit something else."
"But I didn't," he continued.
"Fine, I'll stop arguing if you promise to limit yourself to three drinks, more if they're non-alcoholic," I told him.
"Deal," he replied, draining his cup.
I sat there for a while, sipping the drink I'd ordered and watching the people around me. I was half-heartedly looking for people I knew, but I wasn't having any luck. I didn't expect to see anyone, but there was always that small chance. It's like seeing your third grade teacher in a K-Mart. It's unlikely, but not impossible. My thoughts were interrupted when I realized that the pounding music had ended and had been replaced with a rather doleful instrumental song. That had never happened all that often in all the years that I'd hung out at Hellfire. Something interesting must be going on. I set my drink down on the counter, making a note not to pick it up again, and went to go find Mike since he usually has some idea as to what's going on. I found him lounging on one of the deep red couches, talking to a guy who reminded me of Blade.
"Hey Mike, any idea why the music got so...calm?" I asked, happy that I didn't have to shout anymore.
"Uh, not sure, but it doesn't seem like anybody minds." He nodded towards the main dance floor. I turned my head and saw all the club patrons slow dancing and doing their mopey dances. Mike was right, they didn't look like they minded the change in music. In fact, they looked like they enjoyed it. I was going to sit down and join Mike, but Tre', who had just sprinted over, stopped me before I even sat down. He was a little breathless.
"Carrie!" he gasped, "Wanna dance?"
"You got all out of breath just trying to find me so we could dance?"
"Yes, now will you dance or not?"
"Yeah, I'll dance."
"Great! Come on!" Tre' grabbed my arm and pulled me into the mass of people. He guided me the way he had when we went out to The Garden. It was quite nice. I even got to rest my head on his shoulder since there wasn't anything hazardous sticking out of my mounds of hair.
"So do you like the treat I set up for you?" he asked as we swayed.
"YOU did this?" I asked, surprised.
"Yeah, I snuck the dj a twenty and he agreed to play some slow songs."
"And you did it for ME?"
"Yup, all for you," he replied, smiling. "I knew that I wanted to dance with you again and this could've been my only chance."
"Tre'..."
"Shhh. It was nothing. Really. Now let's just enjoy this," he said, locking eyes with me.
I didn't respond, I just laid my head on his shoulder and let our rhythmic movements lull me into a state of total contentment.
I'm not sure how long Tre' and I danced, but when the music picked up speed again, we headed over to the bar to see if anyone was still passing the time there. And, sure enough, there was Billie, chatting with a mohawked, twenty-something looking guy. Lucy and Quinn were nowhere to be seen.
"I'm gonna go get us something to drink," Tre' said, striding over to where the bartender was standing. I sat down next to Billie. He must have sensed I was there because he spun around and looked at me. "Oh, hey Carrie. You have fun out there with Tre'?" he asked.
"Yeah, but I'm surprised you could even see us, there were so many people out there."
"Nah, I saw you guys out there. You looked so happy, too," he told me with a small smile on his face. "You guys make a cute couple, you know that?" Before I could mutter an answer, Tre' returned, carrying two glasses. He handed me one and took a sip of his own. Billie had turned back to his mohawked friend. I looked over at Tre'. "You having a good time?"
"Surprisingly, yeah, I am," he replied, nodding his head. "When you first told us about it, I didn't think that it was going to be all that fun, but I guess I was wrong."
"See, I have some good surprises of my own," I said, smiling and taking a drink out of my glass.
"I guess we're both just full of surprises," Tre' said. He lifted his glass. "To surprises."
"To surprises," I laughed, gently clinking my glass against his.
"And what are we toasting to?" I turned. Lucy was standing behind me, alone. She looked happy, though.
"Surprises!" Tre' exclaimed, lifting his glass again.
"And why surprises?" Lucy laughed, taking a seat next to Tre'.
"That's for us to know, and you to find out," he said, lowering his voice, trying to sound mysterious.
"I'm afraid of what I might find out, so I'm gonna let you keep your secrets," she replied.
"Okay, better for us," Tre' shrugged and turned back to his drink.
"So where's Quinn?" I asked Lucy, leaning onto the counter so I could see her better.
"He said he had to go, but he gave me his phone number," she explained, casually examining her nails.
"Hold up, YOU got a number, from a GUY?" I asked, pointing at her with an astounded look on my face.
"Yeah, so?"
"I don't know, I guess I'm just a little surprised. I mean, how often do guys give out their numbers? Isn't it usually the other way around?"
"I've given MY number out before," Tre' interrupted, pointing to himself.
"You don't count, you're a man whore," I said, brushing him off.
"Hey!" he shot back.
"Okay, all I heard was 'man whore,'" Billie said, turning around to face us.
"Billie, am I a man whore?" Tre' asked him. "Wait!" he interrupted, "You're the wrong person to ask, I've already slept with you."
"Then didn't you just answer your own question?" Lucy asked, looking like she was about ready to burst, she was laughing so hard.
"What question?" Mike asked, joining us.
"Mike! Am I a man whore?" Tre' asked, grabbing the bassist by the shoulders.
"Uh, well, I think that if you didn't like us enough, you'd probably be having sex right now," he replied.
"You're no help, either!" the drummer said, releasing his friend.
"Tre', face it, you're a MAN WHORE," Lucy said, placing a hand on his shoulder.
"I thought I was just a sexual deviant."
"Then let's compromise. Tre', you're a sexual deviant, but, if given your way, you would be sleeping with A LOT of people. Happy?" I said. He thought for a second. "Well, it's better than being called a man whore!" He lifted his glass again. "Here's to not being a man whore!" We all raised our glasses. "To not being a man whore!" we all said in unison. We all started cracking up. Some people actually started staring. I didn't care, though, I was having too good a time.
We stayed at Hellfire for a little longer. I even got Billie to abandon the bar and dance with me. I didn't get hit on, and from what I saw, neither did Lucy. It was a good thing, too, since Lucy didn't like it and she's been known to slap guys who've made a pass for her. I just didn't feel like having to deal with Tre's jealousy. As far as I knew, the secret that Tre' and I shared was still under wraps.
By the time we walked out the door, it was almost one in the morning. I waved good-bye to Lestat, who was still watching the door, and went to unlock my car. We all climbed in and sat there for a second. My ears were still pounding from Hellfire, and my hearing was a little muffled. I turned around in my seat to face the guys. "So, what did you think of Hellfire?" I asked.
"It was actually pretty fun," Billie said. "And it's a little weird how nice all the people are."
"Yeah, well, that just goes to show ya, don't judge a book by its cover," I replied. "So how did you two like it?" I asked, looking at Mike and Tre'.
"I already told you I thought it was fun," Tre' said. "And I never judge a book by its cover 'cause I don't even read!"
"Fair enough," I laughed. "Mike?"
"I liked it," he said, nodding his head slightly. "I think I'd go back again if given the chance."
"Great," I said, "Now we can add this to the list of things to do when you visit."
"Sounds good to me," Mike replied.
"Aren't you gonna ask me what I thought of it?" Lucy asked.
"Luce, we've been going here for years and you've always loved it. Why would tonight be any different?" I asked, shifting my body to face her.
"I don't know, I just felt left out." She laughed a little and buckled her seatbelt.
We arrived back at my place at about 1:30. It was a quiet night, no rustling trees or barking dogs, which tend to be quite common on my block. It seemed like the world was asleep except for the five of us.
"Well, I'm beat," Billie said, stretching his arms out over his head when we walked inside. "I'm gonna head upstairs."
"'Night Billie," I said as I watched him ascend the staircase.
"I'm gonna hit the sack, too," Mike said. "Good night."
"Wait for me, I'm going to bed, too," Lucy said, following him up the stairs. Tre' and I were left alone in the foyer again. Before I even had time to say anything, Tre' had pressed his lips against mine and was pulling me into a deep embrace.
"Where did that come from?" I asked when he'd released me.
"Well, I AM a sexual deviant, aren't I?" he replied, still holding my hands.
"That you are, but save your fantasies for when the house is empty, okay?" I said.
"Fine, be a stick in the mud."
"Aw, are you disappointed now?" I teased.
"A little."
"Then let me help." I gave him a kiss and wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling him closer. He placed his hands on my back and held me against him. When I pulled away, there was a huge smile on his face.
"Feel better?" I asked.
"A little, but not completely," he said, "but, for you, I'll keep my pants on."
"Oh, you're a charmer," I laughed. Then I pointed to his lips.
"What?" he asked.
"You have black lipstick all over your lips," I told him.
"Do I look good?" he asked, striking a pose.
I laughed again. "Very, but you'd better go wash it off or people are going to suspect one of two things. One, you've been making out with someone, or two, you like to wear lipstick."
"I think I'll go wash it off," he said and headed toward the downstairs powder room. He returned a minute or so later, lipstick free.
"So, you gonna turn in for the night?" I asked.
"Yeah, I guess so," he said, sounding a little downtrodden.
"Why so disappointed?" I asked him.
"I was half-hoping that I'd get to spend the night with you, but I can tell that's not gonna happen," he explained.
"Then I guess we'll just have to figure out how get a whole night to ourselves, then, won't we?" I said, throwing my arms around his neck.
"I guess so," he said happily, giving me another kiss.
We both headed upstairs together. Tre' gave me another kiss before heading into his own room. I opened my door and found Lucy out cold in my bed. I changed into some sweat pants and a t-shirt and climbed in next to her, careful not to make too much noise. I lay there for a while, just thinking to myself, trying to tire out my mind. I slipped off to sleep faster than I thought I would. I didn't mind, though. All the more time for me to dream about the night that had escaped Tre' and me.

The next day, I was sitting on the couch, playing some video games with Tre' and Lucy, when, out of nowhere, I heard Billie exclaim, "What the hell? Ona died?! Hey Carrie!"
"What?" I called, pausing the game.
"You didn't tell me Ona was gonna die!" he said, walking into the room and holding up The Jungle.
"I didn't wanna give anything away," I said.
"I didn't know people were gonna die in this book," he answered.
"But somebody already died in there."
"Yeah, but he didn't count, it was an expected death," he argued.
"Oh, so you don't like the book now?"
"No, I like it. It's actually a good read," he replied, burying his nose in the book and walking out of the room. I laughed to myself and unpaused the game, continuing my beat down of Tre's character.

"Guess what next Friday is!" I called, almost skipping into the living room.
"Uh...your birthday?" Lucy replied.
"You know damn well that my birthday's in the summer," I snapped, sitting next to her on the couch.
"Well, I didn't have any other ideas."
"Can I guess?" Tre' asked.
"Oh God, I'm afraid," I said, rolling my eyes.
"Is it...National Sex Day?"
"I should have known that was coming," I said, fixing him with a stare. "You guys are crappy guessers."
"Then enlighten us," Mike said, "What is so special about next Friday?"
"It's Halloween!" I said excitedly.
"Already?" Billie asked.
"Yeah, and I have some plans for that night," I told them.
"And what exactly are those plans?" Lucy asked.
"It involves candy, sugar, and scary movies watched in the dark," I said, refraining from clapping my hands together in excitement.
"Sweet!" Lucy exclaimed. "It's gonna be just like when we were younger. So what movies do you have on the list?"
"All the good ones. Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th, IT, and some others," I said, counting them off on my fingers.
"You gonna rent'em?" Billie asked.
"Nope, I have ALL of them."
"Jesus, where do you get that kinda money?" he said, raising his eyebrows in amazement.
"I got'em for free from a guy who owned a video rental place that went out of business a while ago," I explained. "I used to hang around in there a lot and when they went out of business, he let me have my choice of what movies I wanted."
"You just have all kinds of connections, don't you?" Billie replied.
"Yes, yes I do," I said proudly.
"Wait, I'm not gonna be staying here next Friday!" Lucy said suddenly.
"So? Just come over when it starts getting dark," I told her.
"Oh yeah, forgot," she said, grinning stupidly.
"We don't have to dress up, do we?" Mike asked.
"And why would you have to dress up to watch movies and get high on candy and sugar?" I asked him with a questioning look.
"You seem to like dressing up so I was just checking," he replied with a shrug. "Besides, it IS gonna be Halloween."
"No, no need to dress up just to sit your ass on a couch and get fat and creeped out at the same time."
"Alright then. I think I can do that," he replied with a smile.
"I think we can all do that," Tre' added.
"And what happens if either of you girls gets scared?" Billie asked slyly.
"Then I get to comfort Carrie!" Tre' exclaimed, pointing at me.
"That's probably not going to be necessary since I've been watching these movies since I was twelve, but thanks for putting that out there," I said to Tre'.
"No problem, babe," he replied, winking at me.
"Hey, what about me, then?" Lucy said, looking around. "Who's gonna comfort me if I get scared?"
"You can have Mike since Billie is married," Tre' said, looking over at the bassist.
"Sure, why the hell not?" Mike replied, shrugging.
"Mike, you have been involuntarily volunteered," I told him.
"So I have to be all alone?" Billie asked, pretending to pout.
"Just for that night," I told him comfortingly.
"Okay, good," he said. He let out a sigh.
"You miss Adie, huh?" I said.
"Yeah, yeah I do," he said, looking at me.
"Billie, you know you can go home whenever you want."
"Yeah, I know, but I don't get to see you that often and I want to take advantage of being here," he told me.
"I appreciate that, Billie. Thanks."
"Should we leave the room or something so you guys can have your mushy moment?" Lucy asked, annoyed.
"No, the mushiness is over," I said.
"Yeah, no more moping," Billie added.
"Glad to hear it," Lucy said. "Now what should we do?"
I looked over at Tre' for second, then said, "Video games!"
Lucy rolled her eyes at us as Tre' and I jumped off the couch and hurried over to get my Gamecube controllers.

"You sure you have all your stuff?" I asked Lucy the next morning. We were both standing by the door while the guys took Lucy's bags outside and put them in her car.
"Yeah, I'm sure," she replied. "Thanks again for letting me stay here, Carrie."
"Anytime, Luce," I said, giving her a hug. "You know you can always crash here whenever you need to."
"All your stuff's in the car, Lucy," Mike said from behind her.
"Thanks guys," she said, giving them all a hug. "Promise to keep in touch?"
"We promise," Billie said.
"Well, I guess I'd better get going," Lucy said, climbing into her car. "I owe you one, Carrie."
"I'll hold ya to that," I replied.
"See ya guys."
"Bye Lucy. It was good seein' you again," Billie said.
Lucy pulled out of the driveway and headed down the street. "You still owe me a pair of shoes!" Tre' yelled after her. And, being Lucy, she flipped him off out of her window and kept driving.