Class is Now in Session

Bad News

Two days before Christmas, I was flipping through a magazine when someone came up behind me and covered my eyes.

"Guess who."
"Hmmm...I wonder who it could be," I laughed. "Is it...Tre'?"
"You win," he said, sitting next to me.
"Then what do I win?" I teased.
"This." Tre' put his hand under my chin and brought my lips to his.
"I liked that prize," I said, when we broke apart.
"I'm glad," he replied, smiling sweetly.
"So what do you have planned for today?" I asked, setting my magazine aside.
"Well, I was gonna go out and get your Christmas present today," he told me.
"You're awful late on that."
"Better late than never, though, right?"
"Right," I laughed.

We sat together for a while. Later in the afternoon, Tre' got up and put on his coat.

"I'll be back soon, I'm gonna go get your present."
"'Kay, be careful," I told him.
"I will, mom," he replied, rolling his eyes.
"Watch yourself, dude, or you might just have a very bitchy girl on your hands," I warned him, getting up and standing in front of him.
"Oh, I'm so scared," he teased. I punched him on the arm. "Ow! You hit hard for a girl."
"Thank you. Now get out and get my present," I said, laughing.
"Fine," he said, "just don't hit me anymore."
"It's a deal," I said. Tre' turned to leave. "Oh wait, I forgot to do something." He came back and gave me a kiss.
"What was that for?" I asked.
"You said be careful, so, just in case something happens, I want to have something to remember you by."
"Wow, that was...sweet," I said. I gave him a hug. "I love you."
"I love you, too, Carrie." I released Tre' and he walked out the door, into the snow.

It was getting late and I was wondering where Tre' was. I kept telling myself that he just got caught in traffic or something, but I couldn't get rid of the panic-y feeling that kept growing. I kept pushing it to the back of my mind but it always resurfaced, stronger than before.

It was about 7:30 when the phone rang. I jumped at the sudden noise. When I realized what it was, I jumped up and ran to answer it.

"Hello?"
"Is this Ms. Carolyn Ericson?"
"Yes, this is she."
"Ms. Ericson, do you know a Mr. Frank Edwin Wright III?"
My heart skipped a beat. "Yes, why?"
"I'm afraid I have some bad news."