Class is Now in Session

Secret-Keepers No Longer

"You know, I think you like that chameleon more than me now." Tre' was watching me play with Tarquin. I had barely left him alone since Tre' had given him to me for Christmas the day before.
"Oh come on, how could I like him more than you?" I asked, turning to face Tre'. Tarquin was resting on my leg.
"I don't know, but I think you do," he replied, trying to sound hurt.
"Well, I don't."
"You sure?"
"100 %."
"Good, I didn't want to be ignored for a lizard." Tre' reached out and lightly petted Tarquin on the head. One of the chameleon's eyes swivelled around to look up at Tre'.
"You wanna hold him?" I asked.
"Wow, you'll actually let me?" Tre' asked, surprised.
"Yeah, why wouldn't I?"
"I know that you don't like people touching your stuff."
"Well, I'm offering, so do you want to hold him or not?" I asked.
"Yeah, sure," he replied. I picked up Tarquin and gently set him down into Tre's open hands. Tarquin kept one eye on me and the other on Tre', as if he was nervous. But that must have passed, seeing as how he soon began making his way up Tre's arm. When he reached Tre's shoulder, he actually tried to climb up onto Tre's head. I laughed as I picked him up and placed him back on my shoulder.

***

"Okay, I'm officially tired of hospital food." Tre' and I were watching t.v. and eating the crap that the hospital served us. And frankly, it sucked.
"You know what? I'll be right back," I said, throwing my fork down and grabbing my coat.
"Where you goin'?" Tre' asked.
"To get some real food."

I returned a half hour later, carrying a McDonald's bag.
"This is your idea of real food?" Tre' asked as I set the food down in front of him.
"Well, it's better than the crap they serve here."
"Good point."

We both sat there for a while, eating quietly. I was deep in thought, just going over random things in my mind. One of those things was how long Tre's and my relationship was going to be kept a secret.

***

I stopped by the pet shop later that day to get food and a real tank for Tarquin. I had a feeling I was going to get in trouble for keeping a reptile in a hospital.

I set up everything I'd bought for Tarquin in my house. I set him down in the tank so that he could get used to his new home. For the little time that he was in there, he seemed to be enjoying himself. I had an incandescent light set up for him and I'd put some crickets and other food in the tank as well. Tarquin's new home was up and running.
I spent the rest of the day at the hospital. I didn't like leaving Tre' for too long. I was still worried about him, even though he was recovering pretty quickly.

I had a lot of things going on in my mind. One of them in particular was getting stronger the more I thought about it. I had to tell Tre'. I HAD to.

***

"Tre?" I asked.
"Yeah?"
"I've been thinking a lot lately, and, well, I think we need to talk."
"Oh God, what is it?" Tre' said.
"First I have a question," I told him.
"Which is?"
"Do Billie Joe and Mike know you came back?"
Tre' didn't answer me right away, he just sighed. I was watching him intently.
"I knew this question was going to come up sooner or later, I just knew it," he said, breaking the silence. "Yes and no."
"Yes and no?" I repeated, confused.
"I told them I had to get away for a while because I had a lot on my mind. I didn't tell them where I was getting away to, though.
"So you lied to them?" I asked.
"Sort of," he said sheepishly.
"Tre." I placed my hand over his.
"I'm sorry, Carrie," he said.
"I know you are, but I really think that this has to stop," I replied, taking deep breaths.
"You mean that...?"
"Yes," I continued. "Tre', it's time to tell Billie and Mike."