Class is Now in Session

A New Friend

Tre' and I debated on how we were gonna break the news to Billie and Mike. Tre' suggested writing a note, tying it to a brick, and then throwing it through their window. I quickly tossed the idea itself out the window and continued thinking. I wasn't exactly sure how they were gonna take it. They might be mad that we hadn't told them sooner. Or they could be happy for us. Hell, they might not care at all. Either way, it didn't matter how they took it, they just had to know, lest our lives become a big conspiracy.

After tossing ideas around for quite a while, we finally decided on me calling them and telling them that Tre' was in the hospital and that they needed to come see him right away. When they arrived, we would both break the news to them.

"Why can't you call them?" I complained the next day as Tre' shoved the phone at me.
"Because if I call them, there'll be too many questions," he said. "If you do it, they'll ask questions later."
"Are you sure?" I asked.
"Just call them already!" Tre' exclaimed, holding the phone receiver out. I took it and dialed Billie's home phone number.

The phone rang on the other end for a few seconds, then someone answered in a voice I hadn't heard in years.
"Jakob? It's Aunt Carrie," I said to the youngest Armstrong.
"Hi Aunt Carrie!" Jakob said excitedly.
"How are you, buddy?"
"Good. Mom and Dad were gonna call you so me and Joey could say thank you for the money you sent us for Christmas."
"Well, you're welcome," I said, laughing a little. "Hey, is your dad around?"
"He's downstairs, playing his guitar."
"Could I talk to him?"
"Hold on." I heard footsteps and a door opening. "Dad? You have a phone call," I heard Jakob call to his father. I vaguely heard Billie say something in the background.
"He's coming," Jakob told me.
"Thanks, Jakob. I'll talk to you later, okay? And tell Joey and your mom I said hi."
"Okay, here's dad. Bye Aunt Carrie."
"Bye."
"Hello?" Billie said after Jakob had given him the phone.
"Hey Billie," I said.
"Oh, hey Carrie, everything all right?" he asked.
"Well..."
"What happened?"
"It's Tre'. He's in the hospital," I said, dropping the bomb. There was a long pause on the other end.
"Are you serious?" he asked, almost sounding a little scared.
"Dead serious," I replied. "You and Mike need to come out here."
"Did you call Mike yet?" he asked. I could just imagine Billie nervously running his hand through his hair.
"Not yet."
"I'm calling him, then," Billie told me.
"You don't have to, I was gonna do it," I protested.
"No, I'll do it. It'll be faster that way."
"Uh, okay, then, if you're sure," I said, not completely understanding him.
"Now where exactly are we supposed to find you and Tre', if you're with him," Billie asked.
I gave Billie all the information he and Mike needed and hung up the phone. I looked over at Tre'.
"They're coming."

***

I was taking a walk around the hospital floor that Tre's room was on. I decided to visit the lounge-type room and take in the view that it offered. Plus, I needed to think in peace for a little bit. The room was usually empty so I felt I'd be guaranteed some sort of solitude. However, when I pushed open the wooden door, I found that I wasn't alone. Occupying one of the chairs was a little girl. She was pretty thin and somewhat sickly looking. She looked even smaller than she really was because of the huge hoodie she was wearing. She was poring over a magazine she had open in her lap. She looked up for a second when I opened the door, then went back to her magazine.

I made my way over to the large window that took up an entire wall on the other side of the room. I leaned my arms on the window pane and looked at the bustling traffic below me. All those people down there, they looked like they didn't have a care in the world; their only concern was going to their homes or whatever destination they were heading towards. I envied those people.

"We're pretty high up, aren't we?"

I looked over and saw the little girl standing beside me, staring out the window as well.

"Yeah, we are," I replied, turning back to the window.
"I like coming in here at night, when it's really dark, and watching the cars drive by. They look really pretty, like little lights, racing each other," she told me, still staring out at the cars.
"So I guess you're a patient here?" I asked.
"Yeah, I've been here for a while," she told me. "A lot of kids are scared of hospitals and doctors and all that kinda stuff, but I'm not really scared. All the doctors and nurses are real nice and I like it here." She looked up at me. "Why are you here?"
"My friend got hurt and I'm here with him," I told her.
"You mean Tre' Cool?"
"How did you...?"
"I like Green Day and I saw you sitting with him a couple times when I walked by your room before," she explained, a small smile on her face.
"Well, it's good to meet another fan," I said, playfully holding out my hand for her to shake. When I shook her hand, it was so small and frail looking, I thought it would break.
"I'm Carrie," I told her.
"I'm Lily," she replied, smiling.
"Lily. I've always liked that name," I said.
"I like it, too," she replied.
"How long have you liked Green Day?" I asked her.
"Well, I bought Warning right when it came out, and I'm 11 now, so I guess I've liked them for...5 years," she said, pausing for just a second to count on her fingers.
"Wow, that's pretty good," I commented.
"How long have you liked them?" she asked curiously.
"Well, I met them when they were just starting out, so I guess I've liked them since the very beginning," I said, marveling at how many years had gone by.
"Wow." Lily said, somewhat awestruck. "And are they ALL your friends?"
"Yup...my BEST friends, actually."
"That's so cool. Did you go to their concerts?"
"Everyone that I could get to," I said, smiling.
"I wish I could go to one of their concerts," Lily said, resting her chin in her hands on the window pane. "My mom won't let me go 'cause she thinks I'm too sick."
"Aw, that's too bad. You don't look sick," I said, trying to make her feel better.
"I hate having leukemia. I don't get to do all the stuff my friends get to do," she said, her tone both disappointed and frustrated. I just stood there, not knowing what to say. This little girl, she had LEUKEMIA? It was simply astounding. I'd never have guessed that she was that sick.
"I'm sorry," I said, feeling even worse for her.
"I wish I was as lucky as you." I thought I was going to cry when she said that. I'd never really considered myself all that lucky. I felt so bad for my little friend. I HAD to do something to make her feel better. I had to let her do something her friends would probably never do.
"Lily, I think you should come back to my room with me," I told her.
"But Tre's in there," she said, no longer looking out the window.
"I know."
"You mean...?"
"Yes, I think Tre' would like to meet you." I was smiling now, a bigger and brighter smile than usual.
"Oh my God, are you serious?!" she exclaimed excitedly.
"You want me to prove it?" I asked.
"Can we see him now?" It looked like she was having a hard time restraining herself.
"Sure." I took her by the hand and let her down the hall to Tre's room.

When we got to the room, I knocked on the door. I heard Tre's invitation to come in, and I gently pushed in the door. I poked my head inside.

"Tre'?" I asked.
"Hey Carrie, you didn't have to knock," he said.
"I have a guest with me," I said, smiling.
"Oh yeah? And who would it be?" he asked. I opened the door a little more and led Lily inside. She clung to my hand out of shyness.
"Tre', this is Lily. Lily, this is my friend, Tre'," I said, introducing them. I gently pulled Lily in front of me so Tre' could see her better.
"Hey Lily," Tre' said sweetly. Lily walked over slowly, said hi back, and shook Tre's outstretched hand.
"So Lily, I see you've met Carrie," Tre' said, looking up at me.
"Yeah, she's real nice," Lily replied, smiling shyly.
"Yeah she is, isn't she?"
"Alright, that's enough about me and how nice I am," I said, starting to feel embarrassed. "Why don't you two talk a little bit?"
"Good idea. So, Lily, what are you in for?" Tre' said, turning to the eleven year old.
"I have leukemia," she told him, not missing a beat or sounding unhappy.
"Wow, leukemia? That sucks," Tre' replied, just as naturally.
"Yeah it does," Lily replied. She stopped for a second. "Why are YOU here?"
"I was defending Carrie's honor," Tre' said, not completely lying.
"What happened to the other guy?" Lily seemed interested.
"Well, I don't really know, but I bet he looks a lot worse than I do."
"You don't look too bad. I bet all the girls would still think you're hot," Lily commented. I nearly bursted out laughing at the little girl's audacity.
"I like your thinking," Tre' said happily. Lily sat there, looking happy and proud.

***

Lily spent most of the remainder of the day sitting in Tre's room, just talking to him and me about one random thing after another. I think Tre' was taking a real liking to this little girl.

***

I was flipping through the channels on the tv, looking for something good to watch, when I heard some quiet giggling. I looked over at Lily. Tre' was whispering something in her ear and she was trying to stifle her small giggles.

"What are you two laughing about?" I asked.
"Can't tell you, it's a secret," Tre' said.
"Tre', don't go putting inappropriate ideas in her head," I warned, nodding at Lily.
"He's not," Lily interjected.
"See, straight from a child's mouth. For once, I am not being inappropriate," Tre' said.
"Somebody better call the papers and tell them that Tre' is being an appropriate role model!" I said jokingly.

***

It was around nine o'clock when a nurse came in to collect Lily and take her back to her room. Lily seemed sad to be leaving. When she got up to leave, she walked over to Tre', said good-bye, and got a hug from him. She then walked over to me and gave me a hug. Before she let go, she whispered in my ear, "Thanks Carrie, you're awesome. Tre's gonna make you real happy one day." She smiled when she released me and quietly followed the matronly nurse out the door and back to her room.