More Like A Relapse

Dance Hall Drug

Grown up
She just turned 16
Stuck in the moment
Dead at the scene
And it's on tonight
This is the life that you wanted, right?


“Stop it!” Courtney scolded with her flashing brown eyes, her seriousness off-set by her giggling while she resumed putting on her eye shadow.
Sarah bumped her again, crinkling her nose and sticking her tongue out childishly before she pulled out her lipstick and twisted the tube until the dark red make-up was visible. Puckering her lips out to apply the color, she suddenly broke out into laughter, looking away from the mirror.
Courtney gripped the side of the sink when she, too, began to laugh. Sarah fell backwards onto the toilet lid and further fell to the floor, her arms held up to protect her face from falling toiletries.

Sarah’s mother called down the hall to the bathroom, “Girls, is everything okay?”

Hell yeah everything was okay. Their first party since Sarah got off probation.
Courtney threw her head around the corner of the bathroom, trying to control her laughter, “Yeah, Mrs. B. Everything’s okay.” She winced from another fit of laughter, her teeth shining even in the dull light. “Sarah’s just having another episode. I think it’s contagious.”

The brunette kneeled next to Sarah and held her wrist down to see her face, Sarah’s almost painful smile suddenly spreading even more as another bout of giggles swarmed her.

Courtney came close to Sarah’s face, “What are we laughing about!?”

“We are so gonna get laid tonight!” Sarah said through her giggling.

“Hell no, I’m not. You might.” Courtney began to try and recompose her serious face. She glanced at the petite watch on her wrist and rolled her eyes, “God, they already started. C’mon, Sarah, put your make-up on in the car.”

They gave their swift goodbyes to Sarah’s mother and were off.

So turn off all the lights
Dressed up just like a movie star
At all the parties they'll know who you are
Wouldn't it be great, to be fashionably late?
So why don't you wait, till you're sedated


They had to park in his front yard - there was nowhere else due to the flood of other vehicles. They weren’t the first to put rubber to grass, and nearly bumped into Jessica Hensign’s car.

“I’m not done with my make-up!” Sarah cried.

“You’ve had twenty minutes to get it right!”

“Well, I’m a perfectionist.”

Courtney looked over at her friend flatly, “And that is why you’re gonna get laid.”

“Seriously! Here, look, if you just did this number to your hair, you’d look like Angelina Jolie or someone like that. See, if you take your bangs down - no - don’t put it behind your ear!”

After few more minutes of struggle and nervousness, Sarah sat back and analyzed her handiwork. “Yup, it’ll do. But next week we are so gonna go to the shop and you’re getting a new hairstyle…”

They opened the car doors, and stepped out to hear the loud thumping of bass pounding out from large speakers in the backyard, behind a high wooden fence.

“C’mon, Court… one night to live it up!” And the girl with the giggles sped off, slipping into the party through the fence gate, her friend following closely.

The crowd was larger than they had expected, and it reeked of pot.

So, that was what everyone had come for.

Sarah looked around suspiciously, “I don’t know half of the people h - Charlie!” she exploded, waving her hands above her to try and get the attention of Courtney’s ex-boyfriend.

“Sarah! Shut up!” Courtney pushed Sarah away, and ran into the crowd in attempt to hide. She’d never really gotten over him… and this wasn’t the place for a kiss-and-make-up.

“Court!”

She let her head roll back and her posture to sink into a crestfallen slouch. She turned to look at his gorgeous face. It hadn’t been carved by angels. It had been carved by Satan himself, the Prince of Lust.

“Yeah, Charlie?”
She had to raise her voice to be heard over the pumping music.

“Hey, you getting a drink?”

Is that what it looked like she was doing? Sure, go with it, Courtney. Look busy, act like you don’t have time for him.
“Uh, yeah… Sarah wanted something…”
She looked around, almost frantically for the punch table, or whatever they were serving here. Hard liquor, perhaps. Hey, maybe it wouldn’t be so bad to get shit-faced just like that night when he dumped her.

Charlie began walking in what Courtney assumed was the general direction of the drink table. They had to weave in and out through the dancing crowd. Some kids were dancing with plastic cups in their hands, and others could hardly even dance without stumbling around. She guessed the pot smell was coming from inside the house, and the booze was for outside, incase anyone puked.

“So, uh, where’s Jessica? I saw her car out front.”
Shouldn’t they be attached at the hip right about now? They’d been dating for about eight months now.

“Yeah… she and I had some problems, and we decided we needed a break from each other.”

Her heart fluttered, and it ached all at the same time.

Don't it feel like something's not right in his kiss tonight?

◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦◦

It had grown dark enough for the host to start using the strobe lights. There was no worry about what the neighbors would do or think of the loud noises, the neighbors were sitting in the chairs, coming down from their highs.

Sarah was no where to be found, and Courtney was nearly sure about what she was doing. Courtney had lost count of how many plastic cups she had been through. She had lost count at right about the second one, when she and Charlie had begun to dance. She’d forgotten how good they had been together, even in her drunken stupor.

His hands were all over her, and from time to time he would tickle her sides, only to have to catch her from falling backwards onto the ground. She was laughing a little louder, and her speech was slurred. She had long since thrown off her high heels and was dancing barefoot.

The lovesick teen wasn’t even aware that her sober partner’s hands were getting a little lower and lower, and his hips were getting a little closer and closer to hers. All she saw was a good time and his good looks.

Yeah what I'm saying is do you, do you want to lose it all?
Cause this is more than just a dance hall drug
You can't wait to fall in love
All I'm saying is do you, do you want to learn to fly?
Then you should pack it up and say goodbye
Cause when the push comes to the shove
It's just a dance hall drug


A slow song began to play, the first one she recognized, and Courtney’s face lit up, “Ooh! I love this song!”

She grabbed Charlie’s wrist and dragged him a little deeper into the center of the crowd. But before they had begun to dance again, Charlie whispered into her ear,

“I think I know a more appropriate place for this.”

Oblivious to the underlying meaning, she giggled and asked, “Where?”

This time it was Charlie who took Courtney’s hand and he led her inside the house, guiding her through the maze of furniture until they came to a bedroom. Before they entered, Charlie stopped and turned around to face his ex-girlfriend.

“Hey, you know what’ll really make this night better than what you ever expected?”

She smiled broadly, swaying from side to side dizzily.
“What?”

He came in as if to tell her a secret, “See, if you take this, it’ll make everything seem so much better. You’ll never forget it.”
And he held out a pill, teasing her by pulling it away when she grabbed for it.
Courtney stuck out her bottom lip, stomped her foot, and glared childishly up at Charlie. He chuckled and handed the drug over; she downed it quickly.

Step in and you can lock the door
The candles are lit and the clothes on the floor
You could take a chance on finding romance
Now you're holding hands
But he's got other plans
Tick-tock, the clock is turning red
The room won't stop spinning and thoughts in your head
And it's too late
You feel like you're making a big mistake
You should've waited



Cause when the push comes to the shove
It's just a dance hall drug