The Art of Breaking

Mind Link

I woke up on the floor of my empty house. Jasper's head hung above me with worry lines chiseled into his forehead. I reached up and smoothed out his forehead. "You keep frowning like that and your face will be stuck like that," I said with a slight smirk.

"It already feels as if it's permanent."

I slowly sat up and rubbed my head. "Do you know what happened?" Carlisle asked and I looked over to see him standing by the window looking out into the trees. It looked as if he was searching for the answer within the leaves.

I thought back on the pain I was feeling in my head, but it wasn't really my pain. It was like I was getting a watered down version of it. "Ryan." I jumped up and ran to the door only to be stopped by Japser.

"You aren't going anywhere."

"But Ryan, he's out there somewhere hurt again. That happened because of him!" I panicked.

"You are staying here, Lacey. End of story however, we will go and search for him," Jasper said and looked to Alice. "Make sure she stays put," he ordered and she nodded and gave me a small smile. She didn't like being the bad guy but she knew better than to go against Jasper's wishes especially when it came to his reason of existance.

I'm ok

I felt a jolt in my body and I could almost feel Ryan as if he was right next to me holding my hand with reassurance. He was ok, but what happened? I sighed with relief and decided not to call Jasper back. He'd be able to find out what happened to him since I wasn't going to be leaving the empty house anytime soon.

Ryan's POV
I wasn't sure what happened, but I knew that I never wanted it to happen again. Too much pain all in one day. I got up from ground and brushed dirt and bits of leaf from my skin. I was in so much pain I had to change back. I couldn't even keep my form. But what was that? It felt as if someone or something was clawing it's way through my head, and they were being less than kind about it.

"Ryan!" I heard a call from a few hundred yards out. I could smell that it was the leeches. Jasper most likely checking on me because of Lacey. I could sense her worry after she woke up. I felt bad that she could feel the same pain as I could. I'm not sure where that leaves us if there was ever a fight to break out. If someone punched me in the face would she feel it too? I smirked at that kind of amusement. Too bad Jasper couldn't be physically connected to me that way. I'd gladly punch myself in the face.

"Ah, there you are," Carlisle's calming voice stated as he and Jasper came to a halt a couple feet in front of me.

"What happened?" Jasper questioned sternly.

"That's none of your business."

"It is when Lacey blacks out too," Jasper growled, it reminded me of a lion about to pounce.

"I don't know. I saw a light ahead of me and then it was like someone was raking through my head trying to find something."

"When did it stop?" Carlisle asked curiously. His head tilted to the side slightly and it kind of freaked me out.

"Whenever Lacey tapped into my pain," I answered not sure if I was explaining that right. I felt her in my head and then the pain just stopped. It was almost as if she was the cure or the sheild from the pain.

Jasper and Carlisle both looked at each other with a mixture of worry and uncertainty on there faces. "Then we should assume that whatever it is that attacked you is after something," Carlisle concluded.

"Which is?" I questioned.

"Lacey," he answered and before I could blink Jasper was gone. He left nothing but his disgustingly sweet scent.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another update coming soon!